FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Great results with dnf system upgrade

Generally, I do fresh installs. Even at my old job, where Fedora was my main workstation, I would pop in a new drive, install the latest Fedora, then copy over.

Today, taking out a laptop I haven't used in awhile, I decided, since it didn't really matter if it broke, to try dnf system upgrade from 23 to 24. I have rpmfusion on this. It was made from a minimal install, then adding X (using dwm compiled from source).

The upgrade went completely smoothly. I followed the instructions on https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade and it all went as I wanted it.

Note there was nothing really odd about this machine, save perhaps, for the fact that dwm is compiled from source. Still, it was a pleasant surprise, and easier than doing a fresh install.

Re: Great results with dnf system upgrade

That's a nice thing to hear. I am too afraid to upgrade yet. This system is my main computer and I have everything on it. So if it were to break during upgrade I would be up a creek...as they say. Thanks for letting us know that there is a possibility that the upgrade might go really well.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Madtiger
    That's a nice thing to hear. I am too afraid to upgrade yet. This system is my main computer and I have everything on it. So if it were to break during upgrade I would be up a creek...as they say. Thanks for letting us know that there is a possibility that the upgrade might go really well.

David
    It's probably best in that instance to stay near enough a release behind. However, I noticed from your other thread that you are having vga driver issues and hope you are able to resolve them soon.

I always keep older installation as I have two installs of Fedora.

Well, you might find this funny, but I am a newbie compared to most everybody here. I use this forum as a daily college class basically so I can learn new things and how to resolve issues. I can't even wrap my head around having two installs of fedora on the same computer at my level of knowledge. But one day with the help of this forum, I will be there. I just wish more people would tell all of you how much they appreciate your efforts and time you put into helping other people. I always try to say thank you to the people that donate their time and knowledge to help others.....it's really a rare thing to see such kindness now days.

David

PS: Fixed my VGA problem by re-installing the Nvidia driver

dnf system upgrade worked fine for me on 4 systems: headless home server running F22>F23, server edition running on VirtualBox F23>F24, desktop and notebook both running work station F23>F24.

Only issue was having to uninstall google-earth to resolve dependency conflict but it was not running .anyway, so no real loss.

Overall, fairly smooth and painless.