Fedora24 Live CD:The trouble occured when it booting into the graphical model.
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fedora24 Live CD:The trouble occured when it booting into the graphical model.

1.I made the usb boot media with the 'DD' command in fedora 23.
    2.It occur that the install media was booting.
    3.It result that It can't login the graphical interface of the live system automatically?
    4.I got any error display.
    5.My hardware are
    U:E3 1231 V3
    MB:GA-X150M-PLUS WS
    VGA:Colorful iGame GTX 960 U-4GD5
    LCD:Philips 246E 23.5
    6.I can login with the virtual console(alt ctrl Fn),And then run the startx command.
    7.when I use the root role, I will got the set up guide interface.But I can see the system interface all the same.

Anyone has idea to solove this problem?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Fedora24 Live CD:The trouble occured when it booting into the graphical model.

Assuming that startx does start up the GUI without problems, which means the GUI works, then you could try to make that the default by running, as root, the command:
    Code:
    systemctl set-default graphical.target

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Fedora24 Live CD:The trouble occured when it booting into the graphical model.

Quote Originally Posted by nsnbm
    Assuming that startx does start up the GUI without problems, which means the GUI works, then you could try to make that the default by running, as root, the command:
    Code:
    systemctl set-default graphical.target
    Thanks, I got the replay "No such file or directory" with this command.I think the live system has no such option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The graphical.target file is usually in /lib/systemd/system/graphical.target. It's contents on this machine running f23 are:
    Code:
    #  This file is part of systemd.
    #
    #  systemd is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
    #  under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
    #  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or
    #  (at your option) any later version.

[Unit]
    Description=Graphical Interface
    Documentation=man:systemd.special(7)
    Requires=multi-user.target
    Wants=display-manager.service
    Conflicts=rescue.service rescue.target
    After=multi-user.target rescue.service rescue.target display-manager.service
    AllowIsolate=yes
    Looking in the file you need a display manager installed, e.g. gdm, or lxdm or lightdm etc. and a multi-user.target file which is also located in /lib/systemd/system. If you don't have these, I guess you can install or re-install systemd or upgrade it, and same for a display manager. But I think it's highly unusual for these to be missing.

From your log it looks like you have gdm anyway. Unfortunately gnome doesn't always play well with all cards, although the gtx960 you mentioned is supported by nouveau, so I can't say whether gnome is part of the problem here.
    Last edited by nsnbm; 25th June 2016 at 02:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The graphical.target file is usually in /lib/systemd/system/graphical.target. It's contents on this machine running f23 are:
    Code:
    #  This file is part of systemd.
    #
    #  systemd is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
    #  under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
    #  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or
    #  (at your option) any later version.

[Unit]
    Description=Graphical Interface
    Documentation=man:systemd.special(7)
    Requires=multi-user.target
    Wants=display-manager.service
    Conflicts=rescue.service rescue.target
    After=multi-user.target rescue.service rescue.target display-manager.service
    AllowIsolate=yes
    Looking in the file you need a display manager installed, e.g. gdm, or lxdm or lightdm etc. and a multi-user.target file which is also located in /lib/systemd/system. If you don't have these, I guess you can install or re-install systemd or upgrade it, and same for a display manager. But I think it's highly unusual for these to be missing.

From your log it looks like you have gdm anyway. Unfortunately gnome doesn't always play well with all cards, although the gtx960 you mentioned is supported by nouveau, so I can't say whether gnome is part of the problem here.
    I think this is a bug/issue of fedora 24 on GTX 960 hardware.The reason below:
    1.I had made a fedora 23 USB live cd media,And install it On my PC successfully with any problem.
    2.When I upgraded system from 23 to 24 with DNF command it can't show login GUI。
    3.Yes it looks like booting fedora 24 live cd.But I can't use virtual console any more at this time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, if the video card worked in f23, then I think it should work in f24. The video card changes between the two versions look minimal to me.

I have had a look around on the net about that card and although some use it with nouveau, mostly I found that users install the proprietary drivers to get better performance out of it.

You mention that the problem arose after an upgrade to f24 using dnf. That sounds to me where there may also be a problem as well. There are a few threads in the forum on troubles with dnf upgrades, and some posts on success with it.

Your point number 3. in post #5 is not clear to me.

Some thoughts which occur to me:

- a new installation of f24 from media, either a usb or dvd disk may succeed.
    - if you can get f24 to a text prompt, that is all you need to install the nvidia proprietary drivers. You would need to configure your networking in the console as well, but that should be possible, especially if you use the network facility rather than NetworkManager, though I understand you can now control NetworkManager from the command line. I'm not using it at present so I can't help with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, if the video card worked in f23, then I think it should work in f24. The video card changes between the two versions look minimal to me.

I have had a look around on the net about that card and although some use it with nouveau, mostly I found that users install the proprietary drivers to get better performance out of it.

You mention that the problem arose after an upgrade to f24 using dnf. That sounds to me where there may also be a problem as well. There are a few threads in the forum on troubles with dnf upgrades, and some posts on success with it.

Your point number 3. in post #5 is not clear to me.

Some thoughts which occur to me:

- a new installation of f24 from media, either a usb or dvd disk may succeed.
    - if you can get f24 to a text prompt, that is all you need to install the nvidia proprietary drivers. You would need to configure your networking in the console as well, but that should be possible, especially if you use the network facility rather than NetworkManager, though I understand you can now control NetworkManager from the command line. I'm not using it at present so I can't help with that.
    OK,is's my fault.Let me explain :
    1、I can't boot f24 live cd media normally, so , I can't install f24 using live cd. The issue I had described above.
    2、To achieve this goal(install f24 on my PC), I installed f23 first, and then ,upgrade 23 to 24 using DNF system upgrade.
    3、It is sad that my PC can't boot when it upgrade 23 to 24.

This image is the rescue booting of 24.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From that log output, nouveau looks like it's having trouble, and gnome also. I would try to install a live spin, such as lxde for f24. Another option is to install using the vesa mode which all modern video cards support ... for this you will need to add the option: inst.xdriver=vesa to the kernel line in anaconda. You get to it by pressing TAB from the first screen of the installer. Then add the option after a space. You can alternatively do a text install by adding the word: inst.text in the same place. A text install gives you far less control over the installation, but it could get the operating system onto your computer from which you could then install the proprietary nvidia drivers and get going. I hope something works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From that log output, nouveau looks like it's having trouble, and gnome also. I would try to install a live spin, such as lxde for f24. Another option is to install using the vesa mode which all modern video cards support ... for this you will need to add the option: inst.xdriver=vesa to the kernel line in anaconda. You get to it by pressing TAB from the first screen of the installer. Then add the option after a space. You can alternatively do a text install by adding the word: inst.text in the same place. A text install gives you far less control over the installation, but it could get the operating system onto your computer from which you could then install the proprietary nvidia drivers and get going. I hope something works.
    I tried,but failed.(I added the option: inst.xdriver=vesa to the kernel line in anaconda, but it can't boot as as before.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry it didn't work. Apart from a text install, I think I'm out of options on this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have some integrated motherboard GPU card you could use that temporarily to setup things and install proprietary NVIDIA driver. If the nvidia card is crashing the kernel to the point where everything stops, one idea is to unplug nvidia card until everything is setup and noveau disabled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by semiRocket
    If you have some integrated motherboard GPU card you could use that temporarily to setup things and install proprietary NVIDIA driver. If the nvidia card is crashing the kernel to the point where everything stops, one idea is to unplug nvidia card until everything is setup and noveau disabled.
    Unfortunately, E3 1231 V3 GA-X150M-PLUS WS are not equipped any GPU card can be used.