FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Questions about VPN

I am new to VPN so I'm just reading around and trying to understand it a bit more before attempting to configure one myself. I do have some questions like whether it is possible to set up a VPN using libreswan to tunnel from public networks such as McD's to my system at home? My guess is that it isn't possible because the required ports will be closed on public networks. But how are the free/paid VPN services out there able to do something like this? Another question I have is.. wouldn't it be easier to just create a ssh tunnels if security is a concern? Thanks in advance!

stevea Guest

Re: Questions about VPN

Openswan and strongswan do generally work from public places, but ssh is much easier to setup.

Also note that vpn mean you join a remote network which is NOT what ssh generally does (but see the -w option). For ssh, use keys (optionally with paraphrase) for ssh authentication, and disable password authentication. This prevent script-kiddie attacks, and brings the security to comparable levels.

You can get Opera (Developer) browser with free VPN (for US and various countries including Germany). Here is a link (go to the end of page): http://www.opera.com/blogs/desktop/2...r-windows-mac/

They offer Opera for Red Hat type (Fedora, Scientific, etc) and Debian type distros (Mint, Ubuntu, etc)

stevea Guest

Quote Originally Posted by donatom
    You can get Opera (Developer) browser with free VPN (for US and various countries including Germany). Here is a link (go to the end of page): http://www.opera.com/blogs/desktop/2...r-windows-mac/

They offer Opera for Red Hat type (Fedora, Scientific, etc) and Debian type distros (Mint, Ubuntu, etc)
    I may misunderstand that product, but it looks like a tunnel, not a VPN, and isn't going to help the OP securely join his home network.

I believe that, (as usual), stevea is correct. The opera VPN is, as far as I can tell from its writeup, to be used for getting around firewalls to view things through a browser (opera, I guess), as opposed to being able to access your home computer.

In addition to ssh, you can also use x2go which gives a very fast GUI to a remote machine. (It works with ssh).

https://srobb.net/nxreplace.html is a page where I give a brief write up on it. Though the instructions are for a CentOS-6.x home machine, it should work as well with the server side running on Fedora.

fwiw, I suspect you'll find openvpn on tcp 443 will walk straight through McD's network.