Geary crashes on every start
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Geary crashes on every start

Hi,

I switched from Ubuntu to Fedora. On Ubuntu geary went fine. Here on fedora it crashed on every start. I already deinstalled and reinstalled the software and set it up completely new (all config datan in .local/share/geary is fresh).

Fedora 23
    Geary: 0.10

error message:
    Code:
    Unable to open local mailbox for xxx@xxx.com
    There was an error opening the local account. This is probably due to connectivity issues.

Please check your network connection and restart Geary.

debug output:
    Code:
    geary --debug
     [msg] 13:23:44 0,046055 geary-application.vala:193: Geary 0.10.0 prefix=/usr exec_dir=/usr/bin is_installed=true
     [deb] 13:23:44 0,095601 null-indicator.vala:13: No messaging menu support in this build
     [deb] 13:23:44 0,008015 imap-client-session-manager.vala:525: Checking if IMAP host mx.freenet.de/default:993 reachable...
     [deb] 13:23:44 0,030029 db-versioned-database.vala:77: VersionedDatabase.upgrade: current database schema for /home/user/.local/share/geary/user.email@freenet.de/geary.db: 15
     [deb] 13:23:44 0,000076 db-versioned-database.vala:126: Upgrading database to version 16 with /usr/share/geary/sql/version-016.sql
     [deb] 13:23:44 0,000101 db-connection.vala:397: Connection.exec_transaction: transaction threw error: (Connection.exec /home/user/.local/share/geary/user.email@freenet.de/geary.db) [err=1] - no such table: MessageSearchTable (--
    -- For a while there, we weren't properly indexing attachment filenames in the
    -- search table.  To be proper (and since this is right before a major release)
    -- we want to make sure anyone who's been running the dailies has a good
    -- database, which unfortunately means ditching the search table and letting
    -- Geary recreate it properly.
    --

DELETE FROM MessageSearchTable
    )
    *[wrn] 13:23:44 0,000031 db-versioned-database.vala:134: Error upgrading database to version 16: (Connection.exec /home/user/.local/share/geary/user.email@freenet.de/geary.db) [err=1] - no such table: MessageSearchTable (--
    --

)
    *[wrn] 13:23:44 0,000664 imap-db-account.vala:87: Unable to open database: (Connection.exec /home/user/.local/share/geary/user.email@freenet.de/geary.db) [err=1] - no such table: MessageSearchTable (--
    --

)
     [deb] 13:23:44 0,000144 geary-controller.vala:1123: Unable to open account Other:user.email@freenet.de: (Connection.exec /home/user/.local/share/geary/user.email@freenet.de/geary.db) [err=1] - no such table: MessageSearchTable (--
    --

)
     [deb] 13:23:44 0,037557 conversation-web-view.vala:207: Loading new message viewer style from /home/user/.config/geary/user-message.css...
     [msg] 13:23:44 0,013735 imap-client-session-manager.vala:536: IMAP host mx.freenet.de/default:993 considered reachable
    Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.
     [deb] 13:23:46 1,855270 geary-controller.vala:355: Closing Engine...
     [deb] 13:23:46 0,000081 geary-controller.vala:357: Closed Engine
    Can you please help me?
    Last edited by timbolino2; 7th March 2016 at 01:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Geary crashes on every start

Hi I tried it again with a fresh install of fedora and geary (Virtual Box).

Without updating fedora I can add an new account. If the account is added, geary will work normally after pulling fedora updates.

After updating fedora I CAN NOT add an new account without getting this errors. So it seems that is has something to do with the latest updates.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks like this issue has something to do with sqlite actually, specifically the unicodesn tokenizer. Here's a temporary workaround.

Roll back your sqlite package to version 3.8.* Note that the --allowerasing will also cause it to roll back anything that depends on it.

Code:
    sudo dnf install sqlite-3.8.11.1-1.fc23 --allowerasing
    Once that is complete, remove any existing accounts you have set up with Geary. You will have to remove the entire folder. They are located here:
    Code:
     ~/.local/share/geary/****@****.com
    Now launch Geary and re-add your accounts. After all your accounts are readded, you can re-upgrade your sqlite and any dependencies
    Code:
    dnf update
    If you need to add any additional accounts after upgrading, you will need to do this whole process over again, as rolling back seems to break any existing accounts.

It's worth noting that pantheon-mail also has the same issue, and this solution seems to work for it as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you very much.

I think this will do it. I will try it when I need to add a new account.

Right now I imported the porfiles I created in virtual box fedora.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fixed it just installing gnome keyring

$ sudo apt-get install gnome-keyring