Screesnshot of login screen
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Screesnshot of login screen

Friends,

How to take a screenshot of log-in screen in Fedora 23, just like this one at the following URL? Thanks.

https://fedoramagazine.org/wp-conten...dm-wayland.png
    fedoralinuxcommands.blogspot.com

All the forces in the world are not so powerful as an idea whose time has come - Victor Hugo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Screesnshot of login screen

With a camera?

Linked screenshot is probably taken from a virtual machine.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

yes that's a VM screenshot, camera is the only way for bare metal installs that I'm aware of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thin you can do that using gimp
    Then lock the screen and you get your screen shot after 5 sec. delay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the old days you could use something like Xnest to do this. You'd need the xorg-x11-server-Xnest package installed, then do something like:
    Code:
    Xnest -geometry 1280x1024 -query localhost :1
    That would put a window on your desktop with a 1280x1024 version of the login screen, and then you could use any of the usual screenshot utilities to capture that window.

I don't know if this will still work with Wayland or with any of the new display managers, and if you're using multiple monitors then you might have to fiddle with the -geometry option. So you're on your own there. VNC might be another option.
    OS: Fedora 29 x86_64 | Machine: Lenovo ThinkCentre M91P | CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 3.30GHz | RAM: 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3 | Disk: 500GB SATA | Video: Intel HD Graphics 2000 128MB | Sound: Realtek ALC662 | Ethernet: Intel 82579LM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reviving this old thread since I finally found a solution. The old Xnest (or Xephyr) method doesn't work anymore (it will just show a black screen). The new solution is much cleaner, anyway.

I'm using xdm as my display manager, so you'll probably have to adjust the XAUTHORITY value in the command below if you're using another display manager (e.g., gdm, kdm, lxdm). I have dual monitors of different sizes: my main monitor is 1920x1080, and it shows the login screen and is to the right of the secondary 1440x900 monitor. So if you have a different monitor setup, then you'll have to adjust the -crop parameter value in the import command accordingly. You'll need the ImageMagick package installed from the Fedora repos (to give you the import command).

Here's what I did:
    1. Log out of X to get back to the login screen.
    2. Switch virtual terminals to get a console login prompt (I used Ctrl-Alt-F4) and log in as root.
    3. Run this command in the console (all on one line):
      Code:
      chvt 2; sleep 5; DISPLAY=:0.0 XAUTHORITY=/var/lib/xdm/authdir/authfiles/$(/bin/ls /var/lib/xdm/authdir/authfiles/) import -window root -crop 1920x1080+1440+0 /tmp/login_screenshot.png

That long command switches you to virtual terminal 2 (where xdm runs), waits 5 seconds, then takes a screenshot and saves it in /tmp as login_screenshot.png. You can then log in through the login screen with your usual user ID and view that image file. You should probably log root out of that other virtual terminal console (virtual terminal 4, in my case). Running that command as root is the key, since only root has access to that Xauthority file when the login screen is displayed. I don't know what virtual terminals other display managers show the login screen on, but you can change the chvt command if needed.

Here's what login screen looks like:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xdm_screenshot.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	30252
    OS: Fedora 29 x86_64 | Machine: Lenovo ThinkCentre M91P | CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 3.30GHz | RAM: 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3 | Disk: 500GB SATA | Video: Intel HD Graphics 2000 128MB | Sound: Realtek ALC662 | Ethernet: Intel 82579LM