FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Installing F23 on Lenovo P50

update: after resetting the BIOS the HDMI output works for me now:
    This is a known problem that was already discussed in the Lenovo forums.
    However, I still don't know, where to find a plug that fits into the Lenovo mDP-port.

I have Apple mDP to VGA adapter as well and it fits and work alright in the mDP port on the right hand side of P50.

Also, I want to have battery saving of Intel HD 530 and performance (when needed) of M2000M. Is it possible in Fedora 23? i.e. how it works in Windows, automatic switching of graphics cards.

Linefader: thanks for sharing this post. I'm currently trying to install F25 on a brand new P50 that I got. The "normal" installation doesn't seem to work smoothly yet. Since F23, have you upgraded to F25? Any hints you can share in terms of what F25 needs for the P50?

I was really hoping to boot both Windows 10 Pro and F25 in UEFI mode... did you ever get it to boot just in UEFI only mode?

Secure Boot needs to be disabled in the BIOS. Then I could install F23. I've updated to F24 but not yet to F25. I completely deleted Windows from my hard drive (which was not the best idea, since Windows is needed to install the latest Firmware updates).

Quote Originally Posted by Linefader
    Secure Boot needs to be disabled in the BIOS. Then I could install F23. I've updated to F24 but not yet to F25. I completely deleted Windows from my hard drive (which was not the best idea, since Windows is needed to install the latest Firmware updates).
    I was able to install F25 with secure boot and UEFI only. So sounds like that issue has been resolved since F23. My issue right now is graphic chipset support. The default nouveau driver locks up really badly. I'll try later today to boot multi-user.target and try using bumblebee.

I had to uninstall Noveau before I could use the NVIDIA drivers and the CUDA development kit.
    I described the procedure in the Lenovo Forums

I had to uninstall Noveau before I could use the NVIDIA drivers and the CUDA development kit.
    I described the procedure in the Lenovo Forums
    Thanks Linefader! Actually, I just found out that it's not even video driver problem yet... my installation cannot mount root filesystem at all. I chose xfs root filesystem, and it is doing something really strange that I don't understand yet. (just posted another thread with details)

Did you install on ext4 or xfs?

just an update here...

when i install on ext4 instead of xfs, i have a bootable system at least to multi-user.target.

i just ran a 'dnf update', and that seems to have broken secure boot.

sigh.... one problem after another...

Quote Originally Posted by picasso_1.2.13
    i just ran a 'dnf update', and that seems to have broken secure boot.
    sigh.... one problem after another...
    fortunately, there is dnf history & undo

I am also using ext4 and it took me some weeks to tame that beast: I am using 3 different external displays frequently; 2 of them simultaneously most of the time, and, thus, for me, NVIDIA's drivers caused the hardest fights.

Linefader: after several re-installs of F25, I finally found the issue... I believe XFS and the nvme driver have some problems. When I installed on a regular SATA SSD, XFS root was no problem at all. Re-installing on the NVMe M.2 SSD had all sorts of file system corruption issues with XFS. (ext4 on NVMe was not a problem)

My P50 has 1 TB HD space, I believe it's actually two SSDs with 512 GB each and everything is formatted with ext3. What is the benefit of using XFS?

What window manager are you using? I only use XFCE. Some users reported Problems with other window managers (like Gnome).

Did you ever receive warnings about the processor trip temperature?
    I can find them occasionally in my MCE log.

My P50 has 1 TB HD space, I believe it's actually two SSDs with 512 GB each and everything is formatted with ext3. What is the benefit of using XFS?

What window manager are you using? I only use XFCE. Some users reported Problems with other window managers (like Gnome).

Did you ever receive warnings about the processor trip temperature?
    I can find them occasionally in my MCE log.
    Hi Linefader: yes, our P50 can hold up to 2 M.2 SSDs + 1 2.5" SSD. Do you know if your SSDs are NVMe or SATA based? If they are NVMe, it will show up as device /dev/nvme0n1 or something like that.

I use XFS because it generally performs better than ext? file systems, not just in raw read/write performance, but multi-threaded performance as well when you have many processes writing/reading at the same time - this is particularly helpful when you're running VMs. The latest version of XFS also does data integrity checking so it can detect when data has gotten corrupted - the only other file systems I know that do this is ZFS and btrfs. Anyway, it's also a personal choice as I've been using XFS for a very long time and am pretty familiar with it.

Right now, since i'm still working on getting the basics running, I just have gnome shell. I can work with it, but it's not my favorite - i thought maybe if I try it again, i might like it.. i don't know yet. I usually use Mate Desktop, but sometimes I play with xmonad.

I haven't seen anything in the MCE log yet. But, I only yesterday got an installation that won't corrupt itself after a reboot. I'll keep an eye out for it...

Now that the XFS+NVMe SSD fiasco has been identified and I can workaround it, I'll be spending more time setting up the rest of it. Really hoping to get bumblebee to work so I can use both graphics chips and not have to manually manage the nvidia drivers. I'm also trying to get it to work with secure boot. BTW, the latest F25 works with UEFI secure boot no problem... but installing 3rd party driver can be a problem is the driver isn't signed. So, I have to figure out how to get the nvidia driver signed - the documentation shows there is a way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2