[SOLVED] Fedora 23 hangs after few minutes on HP Pavilion x2 (2015)
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fedora 23 hangs after few minutes on HP Pavilion x2 (2015)

I recently bought the 2015 version of the HP Pavilion x2 210 (Intel Cherry Trail?). I used Fedora on most of my computers (since FC6) so I decided to try Fedora 23 x86_64 despite what I had read about Bay Trail tablets not booting from 64bit images....

To my pleasant surprise, the 64bit version boots to Gnome 3. The touchscreen, wifi, detable keyboard and touchpad all work perfectly. However, the success is short lived as, eventually (usually around 4 minutes), the system hangs.

I've tried a dozen times to boot the thing from the installer and I've been running "dmesg -wH" to try to pin down what is causing the problem.

From what I can gather, the hangs are related to an "i2c_designware 808622C1:06: controller timeout" and/or synaptic (I understand these may be related). It also seems to occur faster when I leave the keyboard attached and less quickly when I boot on the tablet only. So far my Google research has not helped my figure out how to disable this controller (or patch it).

Have any of you experienced this type of problem?

Given that the system works perfectly out of the box, I am very optimistic that it is possible to get this nice little 2 in 1 to work without hanging if I can figure out how to prevent the I2C problems.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Fedora 23 hangs after few minutes on HP Pavilion x2 (2015)

I don't have any concrete answers for you, sorry -- only a couple of suggestions.

Have you tried updating BIOS/firmware?

Also, have you tried looking in the BIOS to see if you can disable any hardware features? Maybe disable everything you can and test. If that helps, you could turn things on one at a time...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The device boots and functions for a time so I am really not sure how the BIOS could be the problem...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So today I upgraded the kernel, and so far, I have not experienced any hanging!

I was never able to determine the problem but the machine is working pretty well now.

What's installed:
    4.7.5-100.fc23.x86_64 booting from Grub2-EFI x86_64 (installed directly from x86_64 F23 DVD).

What's working (out of the box with no special configuration):
    -Touchscreen
    -Wifi
    -Bluetooth
    -Touchpad
    -Detachable Keyboard
    -USB port

What's Not Working:
    -Sound
    -Webcam
    -Power management
    -SD Card Reader

Honestly, sound is the only one of these things that significantly bothers me, and I am quite happy to have a functional machine!

LSPCI output:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series SoC Transaction Register (rev 22)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCI Configuration Registers (rev 22)
    00:03.0 Multimedia controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series Imaging Unit (rev 22)
    00:0a.0 Non-VGA unclassified device: Intel Corporation Device 22d8 (rev 22)
    00:0b.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series Power Management Controller (rev 22)
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series USB xHCI Controller (rev 22)
    00:1a.0 Encryption controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series Trusted Execution Engine (rev 22)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCI Express Port #1 (rev 22)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCU (rev 22)
    01:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 3165 (rev 81)

Anyway, great that one of these inexpensive 2 in 1s is working reasonable well (I don't like travelling internationally with my regular laptop). IIf anyone gets the sound working, I'd love to know.