FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Dell Precision 5510 and F23+

Quote Originally Posted by NoxiousWeed
    Sorry everyone for the delay.

Fedora 23's starting kernel 4.2.* is unstable on this machine - it randomly locks up.
    I'm using raw-hide kernel 4.4.0-1 and the laptop is fully functional as far as I can tell, including the touch screen. Kernel 4.3 should be perfect as well. It's the first kernel version with "production" SkyLake support.

NVIDIA: I consider Optimus to be more trouble than it's worth, so I only use Intel HD. I did try bumblebee for a bit and it worked perfectly fine - there were no tricks. I just followed the install guide: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Bumblebee

Thunderbolt works fine, the touchpad works great, wireless controller has no problems.

Programs: firefox, lots of dev stuff like IntelliJ and Slack. VirtualBox. No laptop specific hacks needed, just installed as normal.

The Delete and Insert buttons are both there, thankfully.
    Thanks for the great walkthrough. This worked for me on the new Precision 5510. The trick was getting it to stay without freezing on the old Kernel long enough to update to 4.4. Once I was on 4.4 everything ran just fine.

I have not needed to blacklist the noveau driver again, and have had no freeze-ups after using for a few hours.

Another trick for people considering a Precision 5510 that needs the newer kernels. Download and use a live respin ISO containing the newer kernels. that way you don't risk the freeze while getting set up

UPDATE: just installed FC24 in UEFI mode and there are no tricks required. The laptop is operating pretty well, actually.

I am currently running RHEL 7.2 on the m5510 with a 1tb NMVe pcie ssd, 4k touch display!

I followed some of the items in this thread to help with it, including disabling the secure boot items.

I had to use a program on windows called rufus to make a bootable USB. when I used dd on Linux or live-usb-creator, I had nothing but issues. With dd, I kept getting a package error about 75% of the way through the install. have to troubleshoot that later.

had to use nouveau.modeset=0 when booting/installing as previously listed.

used the gnome tweak tool to adjust window dpi and font size and tweaked DPI settings in firefox.

What I need help with:
    None of the brightness controls/dell function keys are working. Do they work in F24/23? Ubuntu? What should I be looking for?

thanks!

Can anyone confirm this laptop working with external 4k display at minimum 60Hz connected via 'usb-c to displayport' adapter. I am not talking about dell TB15 station nor any other 'thunderbolt3 to displayport' adapter. This is about using usb-c adapter connected to dell 5510 or xps 15.

Your wireless network card looks to be an Intel card. That's good. I've been fighting with a Broadcom card on a Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro with Fedora 25 and finally solved it by swapping out the internal card for an Intel one. The Intel card worked right away - no configuring necessary, no drivers to download.

To ANYONE putting Fedora on a laptop - avoid Broadcom wireless network cards. Specifically the BCM4352 model. There are no drivers for it and Broadcom is unwilling to allow third party drivers. Since the Dell you're looking at has an Intel card already you should be good to go right out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by prudy
    Can anyone confirm this laptop working with external 4k display at minimum 60Hz connected via 'usb-c to displayport' adapter. I am not talking about dell TB15 station nor any other 'thunderbolt3 to displayport' adapter. This is about using usb-c adapter connected to dell 5510 or xps 15.
    Confirmed, have it working on Fedora 25 with a LG 4K display at 60Hz using a usb-c to displayport adapter. Unfortunately, not with HDMI though, I seem to be limited to 30Hz on HDMI (even tried with usb-c to hdmi adapters) - the Dell DA-200 usb-c to hdmi adapter is a piece of junk, btw).

I just got one, definitely had to step around nouveau. Getting any live USB to load involved the same grub workaround, and after installing, I needed to yank nouveau and use i915. I had sporadic freezing & boot graphic issues until I fixed. Once that was fixed, everything has been fine so far. I have an XPS-13 with Fedora that I use at work. The Precision 5520 was a bit more work to get installed & working than that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2