Cinnamon Menu Transparency
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cinnamon Menu Transparency

Where is the GUI control for disabling menu transparency?

Re: Cinnamon Menu Transparency

Anybody able to help?

Thanks.

Have you tried a different Theme?

Have you tried a different Theme?
    No, I have not. Thus far I am still exploring with the Live disk.

Your reply seems to imply that menu opacity/transparency is hard-coded into the theme rather than user configurable?

I believe so but I've only used it briefly myself. Different elements for Cinnamon are referred to as spices. The theme sets the menu style as well as transparency. This may be of interest to you though to check out the alternative options.

http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/

Thanks. I guess I have to perform a full install and additional themes to learn the answer. Sigh.

I need to look at other desktop environments anyway. The MATE menu delay is eroding my sanity and a huge usability hit.

I'm on a Mint Cinnamon 2.8.6 machine at the moment. There's no option in the Systems Setting tool to affect the panel's transparency. You can move it, change it's size, and add another panel. Nor is that option among those exposed by a right-click on the panel.

If panel transparency is possible, it's going to be done in a theme.

If panel transparency is possible, it's going to be done in a theme.
    As I suspected. Manually editing theme css files is not a Dale Carnegie way to win friends and influence people. I wish developers would learn that many users do not want desktop effects. Sigh.

2.8.6? Wow. Six maintenance releases in the four weeks since the official 2.8 release?

Quote Originally Posted by upnort
    Thanks. I guess I have to perform a full install and additional themes to learn the answer. Sigh.

I need to look at other desktop environments anyway. The MATE menu delay is eroding my sanity and a huge usability hit.
    Have you tried mintmenu in MATE? If that is no better on your machine I'd suggest XFCE which may feel snappier.

In MATE if you are using the GTK+2 version you may wish to try creating a file named .gtkrc-2.0 in your home directory with the following contents:

Code:
    gtk-menu-popup-delay = 0
    gtk-menu-popdown-delay = 0
    gtk-menu-bar-popup-delay = 0
    gtk-enable-animations = 0
    gtk-timeout-expand = 0
    They expedite the response times of visual elements but as you can see will remove some of the animations.

You can use pluma to do that. Just copy and paste the code above and save with that name. Log out of MATE and back in again to see the changes.

Have you tried mintmenu in MATE?
    Yes. No difference. Anyway, I do not like the Mint Menu, even in Mint. I like a very simple menu.

If that is no better on your machine I'd suggest XFCE which may feel snappier.
    I do not like XFCE, especially Thunar. Although I presume Caja could be installed in XFCE and Thunar removed.

Interesting that you offer that XFCE might "feel snappier." Does that imply MATE is sluggish to some degree? If yes, what are the devs doing about that?

In MATE if you are using the GTK+2 version you may wish to try creating a file named .gtkrc-2.0 in your home directory with the following contents:
    Yes, I have tried all of those options. The first instance of opening the menu is very slow, several seconds to open. Sub menus are slow to open until MATE has finally cached the icons.

You reference using the GTK+2 version. How do I install the GTK+3 version in Fedora 22? CentOS 7?

I was thinking of testing Cinnamon because of this weird menu opening delay problem and because in my experience, MATE does indeed seem sluggish at times. Yet the Cinnamon developers seem more interested in displaying their geek creds with menu opacity rather than provide users the option to disable that effect.

At least a couple hundred themes are available for installation within Cinnamon. Surely there must be a transparent panel or two among them. (I haven't gone looking, tho, since I'm not fond of transparency.)

Surely there must be a transparent panel or two among them. (I haven't gone looking, tho, since I'm not fond of transparency.)
    I do not want a transparent menu. I do not care for transparency. I want a 100% opaque menu, not 70%.

As I mentioned previously, I have not installed Cinnamon. Just using the Live image at this stage. I accept that the default image might not represent all themes, but as you noted in comment 7, looks like there is no GUI option to disable.

I'll settle for a dconf option if that exists.

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

Two seconds with a Google search to find this. Seems to me just what you're looking for. File edit changes require a reboot to take effect, so you can't do that with a "Live". You'll have to install it first.

Seems to me just what you're looking for.
    Thanks for looking, but, um, no. The original post to start this thread:

"Where is the GUI control for disabling menu transparency?"

Emphasis GUI control.

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

Well, I would infer from those instructions of having to edit *.css files to adjust transparency level that there is no GUI way of doing it. And thus, to answer your question: "There isn't one".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast