Fedora 23 + Virtualbox 5.0.8 = No XORG drivers
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Fedora 23 + Virtualbox 5.0.8 = No XORG drivers

    Hi all

    Thanks for the release of Fedora 23. I am sure that it will be a great release.

    I need to use it in a Virtualbox VM but the Virtualbox VM xorg drivers fail to build and load. It tells me that it is an unsupported version of xorg.

    Is there a way to fix this and Fedora full screen at 1920 x 1080? (without running it on the bare metal which unfortunately is not an option).

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Fedora 23 + Virtualbox 5.0.8 = No XORG drivers

    No, Fedora chose to ship a pre-release Xorg version that isn't officially supported by anybody. So no native Virtualbox driver. Either get by using the vesa one or downgrade Xorg to the 1.17 version from F22.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Fedora 23 + Virtualbox 5.0.8 = No XORG drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by vallimar
    No, Fedora chose to ship a pre-release Xorg version that isn't officially supported by anybody. So no native Virtualbox driver. Either get by using the vesa one or downgrade Xorg to the 1.17 version from F22.
    PI have the same problem.
    How would I make dnf to downgrade the package and use the latest F22 version?

    Masoud
    I use F26 and Gnome Xfce, with all updates applied, on a X86_64 kernel with 4gb of DRAM and Evga Geforce 7600 GS PCI-E 256mb DDR2 video card.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Montreal, Que, Canada
    Posts
    6,558
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Fedora 23 + Virtualbox 5.0.8 = No XORG drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by mpajoh
    PI have the same problem.
    How would I make dnf to downgrade the package and use the latest F22 version?

    Masoud
    man dnf explains how
    Leslie in Montreal

    Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Fedora 23 + Virtualbox 5.0.8 = No XORG drivers

    1. dnf --showduplicates --allowerasing --releasever=22 downgrade xorg-x11-server-Xorg
    2. reinstall Guest Additions

    Resolved here: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=306857

    Worked for me

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Fedora 23 + Virtualbox 5.0.8 = No XORG drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by baumanamt6
    1. dnf --showduplicates --allowerasing --releasever=22 downgrade xorg-x11-server-Xorg
    2. reinstall Guest Additions

    Resolved here: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=306857

    Worked for me
    Thank you baumanamt6, now your reply is an example of an actually useful and much appreciated answer.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    6,860
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Fedora 23 + Virtualbox 5.0.8 = No XORG drivers

    At work I'm running F23 as a guest OS in VirtualBox 5.0.8 on Windows 7, and I was able to get the Guest Additions (which include the enhanced Xorg drivers for resolutions higher than 1024x768) from the latest RPM Fusion repos for F23:

    http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration

    The above page has links to the RPMs for access to the free and non-free repos for F23. After you install the rpmfusion-free-release-23.noarch.rpm RPM you can then use dnf to install the VirtualBox-guest package. It's worked great for me.
    OS: Fedora 31 x86_64 | Machine: Lenovo ThinkCentre M91P | CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 3.30GHz | RAM: 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3 | Disk: 500GB SATA | Video: Intel HD Graphics 2000 128MB | Sound: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz CS4630 | Ethernet: Intel 82579LM

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    ~
    Posts
    1,967
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Fedora 23 + Virtualbox 5.0.8 = No XORG drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by RupertPupkin
    At work I'm running F23 as a guest OS in VirtualBox 5.0.8 on Windows 7, and I was able to get the Guest Additions (which include the enhanced Xorg drivers for resolutions higher than 1024x768) from the latest RPM Fusion repos for F23:

    http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration

    The above page has links to the RPMs for access to the free and non-free repos for F23. After you install the rpmfusion-free-release-23.noarch.rpm RPM you can then use dnf to install the VirtualBox-guest package. It's worked great for me.
    At the moment this seems to only allow for more resolutions?
    The other stuff (e.g. resize, copy/past, drag&drop files) does not work.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    6,860
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Fedora 23 + Virtualbox 5.0.8 = No XORG drivers

    I haven't tried drag&drop, but resizing and copy/paste work for me.
    OS: Fedora 31 x86_64 | Machine: Lenovo ThinkCentre M91P | CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 3.30GHz | RAM: 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3 | Disk: 500GB SATA | Video: Intel HD Graphics 2000 128MB | Sound: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz CS4630 | Ethernet: Intel 82579LM

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    94
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Fedora 23 + Virtualbox 5.0.8 = No XORG drivers

    Quote Originally Posted by RupertPupkin
    At work I'm running F23 as a guest OS in VirtualBox 5.0.8 on Windows 7, and I was able to get the Guest Additions (which include the enhanced Xorg drivers for resolutions higher than 1024x768) from the latest RPM Fusion repos for F23:

    http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration

    The above page has links to the RPMs for access to the free and non-free repos for F23. After you install the rpmfusion-free-release-23.noarch.rpm RPM you can then use dnf to install the VirtualBox-guest package. It's worked great for me.
    I just tryed it with no success (update F23 box in Windows). xorg video module segfaults. Perhaps should I recompile drivers? If yes, how?

    UPDATE : I just tried to use VirtualBox instead of VMLite and it works now.
    Last edited by artu72; 9th November 2015 at 03:31 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Fedora 17, Xorg, Drivers and me.
    By Ecsit in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 27th June 2013, 12:33 AM
  2. [SOLVED]
    nvidia drivers, F17, VirtualBox
    By mikee in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 4th January 2013, 07:36 PM
  3. new ATI drivers for FC3/Xorg 6.8
    By akidd in forum Hardware & Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23rd January 2005, 04:52 PM
  4. FC3 - ATI, Xorg and the new drivers ?
    By b!n42y in forum Hardware & Laptops
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 13th November 2004, 05:37 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •