Weird experience with Fedora23 TC11
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weird experience with Fedora23 TC11

I created two logons.

With the first (admin) logon, using Wayland, I can't run gparted in a terminal. I have posted this problem as a bug report to RH.

Via Gnome, I issued a switch user and as the second user, (non admin), I logged in as a regular gnome (non-wayland) user,

And the fun began.
    First, I wanted to run gparted from a terminal (which is normal.) I want to just look at my SSD which is /dev/sde. Well, lockup. Keyboard was lost, only option -- reboot.

Second test.
    Second time around, I found that randomly the keyboard would repeat the last letter entered such as

/dev/sdeeeeeeeeeee . Gut feel it is when there is a task switch that takes place at some conflicting time.

It is also doing so randomly with text. (This does not happen with F22).

With F23, TC11 Gnome Wayland, I can't watch Youtube. The support for html5 or whatever (not flash) is not there, and firefox 41.0.2 cpu shoots up to 50%. Wow... (FF 41.0.2 works ok with F22)

Between TC10 which was working OK and TC11, something was introduced that broke Firefox -- the system?

Before I post this finding to bugzilla, has anyone else encountered this problem?
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Weird experience with Fedora23 TC11

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    Second test.
    Second time around, I found that randomly the keyboard would repeat the last letter entered such as

/dev/sdeeeeeeeeeee . Gut feel it is when there is a task switch that takes place at some conflicting time.

It is also doing so randomly with text. (This does not happen with F22).

Before I post this finding to bugzilla, has anyone else encountered this problem?
    I have seen this specific issue a couple of times after upgrading to F23 alpha. One of those occasions involved trying to make a file search via nautilus. I was using good-old xorg; never Wayland. It seems to happen very much at random and I believe I saw it happening last week. I keep my F23 updated, so it might haven fixed already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Weird experience with Fedora23 TC11

YouTube has worked for me without any problems unless my wifi gets knocked out by number 2 below. I am running Firefox with Noscript but allow Youtube. I have not observed any keyboard strangeness but in F22 I did notice that switching between userid's made the system wonky. That being said I am having a different set of weird experiences with F23. I have three different recurring problems in problem reporting that cannot be reported:

#1 This happens every time the system is booted and before the user signs on. (It's a laptop which is turned on a couple of times a day.) There's dozens of these reports in the problem log. I emailed the kernel developers asking if they wanted to look into and have not heard from them. There are two earlier RHBZ reports, one for F17 and another for F20.
    EDAC DEBUG: edac_mc_sysfs_init: device mc created
    "The backtrace does not contain enough meaningful function frames to be reported."

#2 Five occurrences. May be related to RHBZ 1270657
    WARNING: CPU: 0 PID: 3414 at drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-trans.h:964 iwl_trans_pcie_wait_txq_empty+0x392/0x450 [iwlwifi]() [iwlwifi]
    A kernel problem occurred, but your kernel has been tainted (flags:GW).

#3 Four entries in the System problem log.
    The problem data are incomplete. This usually happens when a problem is detected while computer is shutting down or user is logging out.
    gnome-shell killed by SIGTRAP

I think they need more than a week to sort all of this out.
    Last edited by djl47; 27th October 2015 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Removed comment about the bug report being reported in F22.
    HP ZBook 17 G2 i7 32GB Toshiba 512GB SSD Fedora 29 (Tesseract)
    HP ZBook 17 G2 i7 16GB Corsair Force LX 256GB SSD Fedora 29 (Antares)