FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Fedora 22 - what is included in software selection

When I pick a software selection, how do I know what packages are included?
    For example, I picked TEXT BASED INTERNET ... but I don't know what programs that includes. I picked SYSTEM TOOLS ... but I don't know what tools I am getting. EDITORS, PHP, etc ... what comes with that?
    I checked here ...
    https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US...selection.html
    ... and was told to look for a comps.xml file on the installation media (there should be a better way). I searched and found a file with a very long file name like <long string of random numbers and letters>-Fedora-22-comps.xml ... I opened the file and was not surprised to see a bunch of unreadable garbage.

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

Re: Fedora 22 - what is included in software selection

If you are booting into a Fedora "Live" system prior to installing, and the "live" session has connection to the internet, you can use the command line dnf package manager to see what packages are included in various "groups". To view all groups, use this command:
    Code:
    dnf group list hidden
    To use your posted "TEXT BASED INTERNET" and "SYSTEM TOOLS" as examples, listing all groups shows there proper group names to be: "Text-based Internet" and "System Tools". Then you can do:

dnf group info <group_name>
    Code:
    $ sudo dnf group info "Text-based Internet"
    Last metadata expiration check performed 0:24:27 ago on Thu Sep 10 20:02:43 2015.

Group: Text-based Internet
     Description: This group includes text-based email, web, and chat clients. These applications do not require the X Window System.
     Optional Packages:
       abook
       alpine
       archivemail
       argus
       aria2
       axel
       cadaver
       centerim
       cone
       ctorrent
       deletemail
       ekg
       ekg2
       elinks
       emacs-mew
       epic
       fetchmail
       fpaste
       getmail
       iperf
       irssi
       isync
       libtranslate
       lynx
       maildirproc
       mutt
       naim
       ncftp
       ninja
       nmh
       offlineimap
       pork
       rss2email
       rtorrent
       sitecopy
       slrn
       snownews
       tftp
       tin
       trickle
       w3m
       websec
       whatmask
       xprobe2
       yafc
       youtube-dl
    Code:
    $ sudo dnf group info "System Tools"
    Last metadata expiration check performed 0:25:17 ago on Thu Sep 10 20:02:43 2015.

Group: System Tools
     Description: This group is a collection of various tools for the system, such as the client for connecting to SMB shares and tools to monitor network traffic.
     Default Packages:
       BackupPC
       NetworkManager-l2tp
       NetworkManager-openconnect
       NetworkManager-openvpn
       NetworkManager-vpnc
       bonnie++
       chrony
       cifs-utils
       jigdo
       libreswan
       nmap
       ntfs-3g
       openconnect
       openldap-clients
       openvpn
       samba-client
       screen
       setserial
       tigervnc
       vpnc
       xdelta
       zisofs-tools
       zsh
     Optional Packages:
       PackageKit-command-not-found
       aide
       aircrack-ng
       airsnort
       am-utils
       amanda-client
       apcupsd
       apcupsd-gui
       apg
       apt
       arc
       arj
       arptables
       arpwatch
       autofs
       avahi-tools
       bochs
       cabextract
       catfish
       cfengine
       chrpath
       conman
       connect-proxy
       convmv
       crack
       crash
       createrepo
       dar
       ddclient
       denyhosts
       dkms
       dnrd
       dstat
       dtach
       ebtables
       ed2k_hash
       eiciel
       emelfm2
       enca
       environment-modules
       epylog
       etherbat
       ettercap
       fatsort
       fdupes
       fedora-package-config-apt
       fedora-package-config-smart
       festival
       foremost
       freerdp
       freeze
       fuse
       fwbuilder
       fwknop
       fwrestart
       ganglia
       geoclue
       ghasher
       ghex
       gigolo
       gkrellm
       gnokii
       gnutls-utils
       greadelf
       grepmail
       grsync
       gssdp
       gtkhash
       gtkterm
       gupnp
       gxemul
       hercules
       hfsplus-tools
       htop
       hyperestraier
       ibmonitor
       iftop
       inadyn-mt
       incron
       iotop
       ip6sic
       ipsec-tools
       ircp-tray
       isic
       javasysmon
       jfbterm
       john
       kdirstat
       keychain
       ksmarttray
       limph
       lirc
       liveusb-creator
       lzop
       macchanger
       mc
       mmv
       mrtg
       mtx
       munin
       nagios
       net-snmp-utils
       netgo
       nethogs
       netstat-nat
       nfswatch
       nmap-frontend
       noip
       nomarch
       nrg2iso
       ntp
       ntp-perl
       ntpdate
       nut
       obexfs
       obexftp
       oddjob
       oddjob-mkhomedir
       p0f
       p7zip
       p7zip-plugins
       par2cmdline
       pbzip2
       portecle
       powerman
       powertop
       procinfo
       puppet
       pwgen
       qdbm
       qstat
       radeontool
       rdesktop
       rdiff-backup
       rear
       remmina
       remmina-plugins-nx
       remmina-plugins-rdp
       remmina-plugins-telepathy
       remmina-plugins-xdmcp
       reptyr
       rmanage
       rootsh
       rsnapshot
       sabayon
       scrub
       sec
       shorewall
       smart
       smart-gui
       socat
       speech-dispatcher
       speech-dispatcher-espeak
       speech-dispatcher-festival
       speech-dispatcher-flite
       stripesnoop
       swaks
       swatch
       synaptic
       syslog-ng
       sysstat
       testdisk
       tiobench
       tn5250
       torque-client
       torque-gui
       ttywatch
       tunctl
       unison213
       unison227
       upx
       uucp
       vnstat
       w_scan
       wine
       wireshark-gnome
       wlassistant
       x3270-x11
       xmobar
       xsel
       xsupplicant
       zidrav

Thanks ... that worked ... but when I try programs in the list they don't work.
    For example, I executed elinks and mutt from the command line and got ...
    bash: elinks: command not found
    bash: mutt: command not found
    ... in older versions of Fedora and other flavors of linux I can just execute those from the command line.

Further investigation revealed that even though I checked TEXT BASED INTERNET during install, and even though elinks and mutt are listed in ...
    dnf group info "Text-based Internet"
    ... I did a locate on them and they are not on the hard disk ... what went wrong?
    Last edited by fedoreo; 11th September 2015 at 05:50 AM. Reason: add stuff

dnf package information is still not as comprehensive as it was for yum. So either the group information is not complete or they probably don't have the complete set of markers or attributes to make them install as part of the group.

I see that those were all optional packages. So it may only be that those specific ones get installed if you specify them.

I see, testing on Fedora 23 that it's only going to install a few packages (though elinks should have been of them, but not mutt)

You can check /var/log/dnf.log to see what got installed. It's possible that you need to run the rehash command for your shell to see the new programs (but that's unlikely to be the issue).

so do I just execute rehash or are there parameters or switches? What does rehash do?

Quote Originally Posted by smr54
    I see that those were all optional packages. So it may only be that those specific ones get installed if you specify them.

I see, testing on Fedora 23 that it's only going to install a few packages (though elinks should have been of them, but not mutt)

You can check /var/log/dnf.log to see what got installed. It's possible that you need to run the rehash command for your shell to see the new programs (but that's unlikely to be the issue).
    I also noted that all the packages in the "Text-based Internet" group were under the "Optional packages" header, so I did a test install of the group from dnf and all 46 packages in the list would have been installed. Not sure is the same would apply for the much larger "System Tools" group though.
    Code:
    $ sudo dnf --assumeno group install "Text-based Internet"
    Last metadata expiration check performed 0:52:48 ago on Fri Sep 11 09:09:09 2015.
    Dependencies resolved.
    ===================================================================================================================
     Group                                   Packages                                                                
    ===================================================================================================================
    Marking installed:
     Text-based Internet                     isync                         pork                          rss2email   
                                             fetchmail                     irssi                         slrn        
                                             fpaste                        cone                          mutt        
                                             iperf                         sitecopy                      websec      
                                             getmail                       xprobe2                       libtranslate
                                             ctorrent                      w3m                           tin         
                                             axel                          nmh                           whatmask    
                                             ekg2                          archivemail                   epic        
                                             rtorrent                      elinks                        youtube-dl  
                                             offlineimap                   cadaver                       snownews    
                                             ninja                         yafc                          ncftp       
                                             tftp                          emacs-mew                     alpine      
                                             centerim                      naim                          ekg         
                                             argus                         abook                         maildirproc 
                                             deletemail                    lynx                          aria2       
                                             trickle                                                                 
    Operation aborted.

I did a test group install of the "Text-based Internet" group using dnf in F22 and all 46 packages in the list which were under the Optional Packages heading would have been installed.

@fedoreo- Would please clarify if you are doing this from a Fedora "Live" session or from an installed Fedora session. Either way, bash won't find a command line program until after it has been installed.

I did not do a LIVE install ... I installed from ISO of server version.
    The install was done last week.

Quote Originally Posted by fedoreo
    I did not do a LIVE install ... I installed from ISO of server version.
    The install was done last week.
    Thank you for clarifying this. I don't have an answer as to why the various packages in the "TEXT BASED INTERNET" group didn't install for you. Could be some of dnf's early release "teething issues". If you want that entire group, just do:
    Code:
    # dnf group install "Text-based Internet"
    Or, use dnf to install only the packages you actually want from the group package list.

As for rehash it's the wrong command--sorry, it's a csh type shell command that just has the shell review its paths, such as /usr/bin and so on, to see if there are new commands there. The Bourne style shell (which includes bash) has the equivalent, hash -r

This can be useful if you have installed a package but the shell doesn't yet know it, but it's a more common thing when you've installed from source code as opposed to a package provided by the system, e.g., rpms.

Unhappy Re: Fedora 22 - what is included in software selection

I looked up this thread looking to clarify what is going on with an incomplete installation of F22 made with a custom kickstart file. I asked to install:
    Code:
    @graphical-internet
    It seems to have ignored this, so after the system came alive, I issued:
    Code:
    [root@myhost ~]$ dnf groupinstall 'graphical-internet'Last metadata expiration check performed 0:06:37 ago on Fri Nov  6 13:33:37 2015.
    Dependencies resolved.
    ================================================================================
     Group               Packages                                                 
    ================================================================================
    Marking installed:
     Graphical Internet  uget                  kita               firefox         
                         prozilla              gwget              valknut         
                         qbittorrent           thunderbird        ochusha         
                         filezilla             gftp               xchat-gnome     
                         liferea               arora              mitter          
                         checkgmail            licq               gnash-plugin    
                         knetstats             seamonkey          x3270-x11       
                         amsn                  kvirc              dillo           
                         psi                   konversation       qterm           
                         gtk-gnutella          azureus            transmission-gtk
                         nntpgrab-gui          meiga              gtorrentviewer  
                         kdewebdev             choqok             claws-mail      
                         evolution-bogofilter  kdepim             nicotine+       
                         xchat-ruby            streamtuner        rekonq          
                         evolution             pidgin             logjam          
                         icedtea-web           gnome-translate    evolution-help  
                         pcmanx-gtk2           mail-notification  mtr-gtk         
                         jd                    psimedia           fwbuilder       
                         pidgin-libnotify      xchat              bluefish        
                         empathy               kazehakase         sylpheed        
                         deluge                gajim              gyachi          
                         balsa                 transmission-qt    epiphany        
                         pan                   netactview         evolution-perl  
                         midori                xchat-tcl          linphone        
                         ekiga                                                    
    Is this ok [y/N] y
    Complete!
    The problem is: this didn't take more than 1 second.
    If I repeat the command, it comes back at once with "Nothing to do. Complete!"

But if I as for any random packages, they are not installed:
    Code:
    [root@myhost ~]$ rpm -qa | grep valknut
    [root@myhost ~]$ rpm -qi konversation
    package konversation is not installed
    Any clues on what is going on ?
    David Ramirez
    Houston TX

When I run:
    Code:
    dnf grouplist -v
    there is no "graphical-internet". There are the various graphical desktop environments like:
    KDE Plasma Workspaces (kde-desktop-environment)
    Xfce Desktop (xfce-desktop-environment)
    LXDE Desktop (lxde-desktop-environment)
    LXQt Desktop (lxqt-desktop-environment)
    Cinnamon Desktop (cinnamon-desktop-environment)
    MATE Desktop (mate-desktop-environment)
    Sugar Desktop Environment (sugar-desktop-environment)
    and "Fedora Workstation (workstation-product-environment)" which probably has gnome. If it's the graphical that you want, you could try installing one of those. I don't think you need the quotation marks in the command if you use the name in the brackets. And then install whatever else is on the list that didn't come. Perhaps a bit laborious.

Quotes, either single or double, should only be necessary if using the name with spaces in it.