FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Impressed by Fedora 22

Greetings,

I bought a brand new laptop 4 weeks ago and little did I know it was running Win 10. I had no choice then to search for an alternative. I started with Ubuntu 15.04 and it turned out to be a very uneasy experience for me, possibly due to my lack of knowledge of Linux. I did not give up on searching for an alternative OS and moved to Fedora.
    I have to admit that it is phenomenal. I know that I have nothing to compare it with due to my lack of experience in the Linux world, but it is stable (more than Ubuntu), fast, and most of all easy to use.
    So a big thanks to the Dev for providing the world with this distribution. I thought I would never get rid of Win 10
    For those running the same computer as me, fear not and install Fedora 22.
    System Information
    Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    Product Name: N501JW
    I am running Gnome with Bumblebee and all is perfect I have to admit. One small issue is the Bluetooth not working but really does not bother me much.

My hat to you guys.

All the best and hopefully this is the start of a long standing relationship

Re: Impressed by Fedora 22

Quote Originally Posted by zongo
    Greetings,

I bought a brand new laptop 4 weeks ago and little did I know it was running Win 10. I had no choice then to search for an alternative. I started with Ubuntu 15.04 and it turned out to be a very uneasy experience for me, possibly due to my lack of knowledge of Linux. I did not give up on searching for an alternative OS and moved to Fedora.
    I have to admit that it is phenomenal. I know that I have nothing to compare it with due to my lack of experience in the Linux world, but it is stable (more than Ubuntu), fast, and most of all easy to use.
    So a big thanks to the Dev for providing the world with this distribution. I thought I would never get rid of Win 10
    For those running the same computer as me, fear not and install Fedora 22.
    System Information
    Manufacturer: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    Product Name: N501JW
    I am running Gnome with Bumblebee and all is perfect I have to admit. One small issue is the Bluetooth not working but really does not bother me much.

My hat to you guys.

All the best and hopefully this is the start of a long standing relationship
    Hi zongo
    I am curious as to whether you used Secure Boot/UEFI or Bios Legacy install?
    Robert :)
    Kernel 4.11.12-100.fc24.x86_64 Gnome Software 3.20
    CPU AMD FX-6300 Six Core AM3+
    MoBo Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 AMD760G AM3+ MicroATX
    Memory 8 Gigs Gskill Ripjaw DDR3-1333 PC-10666

Glad to hear that you are enjoying Fedora. Do post if you run into issues. Welcome to the forums.
    Fedora 27 x86_64 XFCE - Sager | Intel Core i7 - 4810 MQ | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M | 16 GB RAM | 480 GB ADATA SSD |
    Fedora 27 x86_64 XFCE - Dell Precision M4800 | Intel Core i7 - 4900 MQ | NVIDIA Quadro K1100M | 16 GB RAM | 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD |

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation

I did start the install with secure boot but then when installing bumblebee, I had to get rid of the secure boot as the bumblebee module would not load in the kernel. I have not gone back to secure boot.

Quote Originally Posted by zongo
    I did start the install with secure boot but then when installing bumblebee, I had to get rid of the secure boot as the bumblebee module would not load in the kernel. I have not gone back to secure boot.
    If you want full bells and whistles for Fedora22, may I recommend two Fedora Remixes. A remix is essentially Fedora with the addition of codecs, of software, some of which is free and some of which is non-free. If you are a gamer, one remix includes "steam", the other includes the systemd interface and some good tools. The Remix contains software that Redhat will not mention for legal business reasons.

The remixes are Steam -- www.chapeaulinux.org
    The remix for systemd etc www.kororaproject.org

Of course, you can search the web to find all the software that one of these distributions has included in their respective remix.

Each of the above has a Live (flashdrive) version.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    If you want full bells and whistles for Fedora22, may I recommend two Fedora Remixes. A remix is essentially Fedora with the addition of codecs, of software, some of which is free and some of which is non-free. If you are a gamer, one remix includes "steam", the other includes the systemd interface and some good tools. The Remix contains software that Redhat will not mention for legal business reasons.

The remixes are Steam -- www.chapeaulinux.org
    The remix for systemd etc www.kororaproject.org

Of course, you can search the web to find all the software that one of these distributions has included in their respective remix.

Each of the above has a Live (flashdrive) version.
    Hi lsatenstein
    Thanks, I will have a look at those remixes as well. Cheers...
    Robert :)
    Kernel 4.11.12-100.fc24.x86_64 Gnome Software 3.20
    CPU AMD FX-6300 Six Core AM3+
    MoBo Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 AMD760G AM3+ MicroATX
    Memory 8 Gigs Gskill Ripjaw DDR3-1333 PC-10666

Quote Originally Posted by robertdaleweir
    Hi lsatenstein
    Thanks, I will have a look at those remixes as well. Cheers...
    Leslie is a fan of the remixes, but I like Fedora 22 Workstation (Gnome 3) with Google Chrome (browser) added.

This handles on line content, without adding extra repos - other than adding Google Chrome of course. And I would recommend Tweak Tool, for adjusting Gnome 3.

My music library is in Google Play Music, easy to upload ogg vorbis files, if you have them. Music is easily managed across devices as well, with Google Play Music.

Easy system to load & manage, F22 Workstation + Google Chrome
    On quest for blue smoke and red rings...

Quote Originally Posted by BBQdave
    My music library is in Google Play Music, easy to upload ogg vorbis files, if you have them. Music is easily managed across devices as well, with Google Play Music.

How did you install Google Play Music? I can't figure it out.

Thnx.
    Fedora 22 Gnome 3 & Mageia 5 Mate

Quote Originally Posted by ghostdawg
    How did you install Google Play Music? I can't figure it out.

Thnx.
    First I installed Google Chrome. Then choose the applications (through Chrome) that you would like to use.

Google Play Music is accessed through Chrome, and you can bring up the Music Player as an application or through a tab in Chrome.

Note: installing Google Chrome brings in dependencies from redhat and Google repo.

Leslie is a fan of the remixes, but I like Fedora 22 Workstation (Gnome 3) with Google Chrome (browser) added.

This handles on line content, without adding extra repos - other than adding Google Chrome of course. And I would recommend Tweak Tool, for adjusting Gnome 3.

Hi BBQdave
    You are right about my liking a Remix. With a 128gig Flashdrive, I never run out of space. I have 58gigs of music, dropbox, and more.
    I like you, used to download vanilla Fedora xx and then install the repositories, and thereafter all the good, the bad and the ugly codecs, and other files that I could find outside of rpmfusion. The remix does one thing well, it sets up the codecs and preconditions the Remix for Chromium. (I have Chromium installed as well as firefox).
    I also have my compilers (C, C++, Python) and other items of interest to me. And I still have 80 gigs free on that SSD.

The Remix includes themes other than adwaita, (the Fedora default), and some wonderful background scenes. Certainly makes Fedora more enjoyable to have a beautiful scene as background in addition to what comes standard.

And with one Remix, which includes the stuff that you have to research, and install, I get it as part of one download.

Your way is a fine method, and for many years I did my installs and updates that way,

However, I thought about the user, new to Fedora. My idea is to make Fedora as sweet as possible an implementation, so that the user transition from Windows is as smooth and as easy as possible. And to do that I highly recommend either one of the two Remixes I mentioned earlier.
    Leslie in Montreal

First I installed Google Chrome. Then choose the applications (through Chrome) that you would like to use.

Google Play Music is accessed through Chrome, and you can bring up the Music Player as an application or through a tab in Chrome.

Note: installing Google Chrome brings in dependencies from redhat and Google repo.
    Thanks again. I finally got it sorted out.
    Fedora 22 Gnome 3 & Mageia 5 Mate

And while you are using Fedora, for additional enjoyment, bookmark The Internet Archive

( https://archive.org/ ) Therein you will find hours of enjoyable information such as books, music, blogs, libraries and more.
    Leslie in Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    And with one Remix, which includes the stuff that you have to research, and install, I get it as part of one download.
    Leslie, I think we are both doing the same basic thing. Your bringing in extra repos and function with the remix version, and I am achieving extra function with a vanilla install + Google Chrome. We are both probably spending the same (roughly) time tweaking our systems

I like the stability and smoothness of F22 Workstation. At this point, gSoftware is handling updates automatically with out issue.

So again, an easy system to load and maintain. And I like the extra function (and music organizing) gained by adding Google Chrome