FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

(Solved)Legacy BIOS - Not able to dual boot

Hello all experts,

I am a noob to linux, and wanted to learn more about it, and so I am trying to dual boot my laptop with Windows 10, and Fedora 22.

I have an old BIOS which doesn't support UEFI. Laptop has 500Gb HDD, and 150 Gb is un-allocated for Fedora 22 installation.

I have the latest Fedora 22 64 bit image, and I have made a bootable USB using Fedora live usb creator. But, during installation of Fedora 22, even I am creating /boot - 500 Mb, swap - 4096Mb, and remaining all to / , I am getting the below error -

"You have not defined a root partition(/), which is required for installation of Fedora to continue.

No valid boot loaded target device found. See below for details.

For a UEFI installation, you must include a EFI System Partition on a GPT-formatted disk, mounted at /boot/efi"

It's already been one week since I am trying to dual boot Fedora 22, but no luck. Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers!
    Last edited by homelybore; 24th August 2015 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Issue is resolved.

Re: Legacy BIOS - Not able to dual boot

"You have not defined a root partition(/), which is required for installation of Fedora to continue.
    Select the check box to format the designated root partition.

Hello upnort,

thanks for your quick response. The issue got resolved. If anyone else having this issue (who use legacy BIOS, but Fedora 22 installation forcing them to use UEFI), it's with the ISO to USB creator application that I was using. I used Fedora Live USB creator, Unetbootin, Rufus but no joy. Used SUSEImage Writer (a bit tricky to find point to *.iso file), but the problem got resolved.

Yes, unetbootin doesn't work with RH ISOs. I learned that the very first time I tried to create a bootable USB flash drive. I used dd.

One thing about Linux: NIH runs rampant and everybody wants to be different.

A very simple way to have solved your problem was to use Wiindows to reduce the partition size to say, 250/250.
    Leave the linux 250gs as unformatted (clear free space).

With anaconada, you indicate that you want the system to use the clear free space, and to automatically configure space requirements. I would also choose to not use lvm, but standard partitions.
    Anaconda will apportion out the free space and the system will install properly. Grub2, the boot manager may show two Windows10 partitions and your Fedora ones.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Hello lsatenstein,

As mentioned earlier, i had ~150Gb space unformatted / free space since day 1 I tried to dual boot. The problem was with the ISO to USB software I used which forced the Fedora 22 installation think that I am running UEFI partition scheme.

Generally, if you have another Linux (or even a Mac OSX install) you can use dd. In Linux, on a single disk, the USB should show up as /dev/sdb and one can do

dd if=<name_of_iso) of=/dev/sdb bs=1M

(In Mac OSX you may have to use 1m, I'm not sure.)

Generally this will create a usable USB.

In rufus, you have to select option of boot with mbr after selecting iso file(Go down then up). Otherwise it defaults to whatever your present windows installation is.

It is also possible to use mbr with gpt partition scheme.

With UEFI this all is confusing.