liveusb-creator does not detect my flash drive
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

liveusb-creator does not detect my flash drive

Hi all,
    I recently created a LinuxMint17 bootable USB stick which worked fine at first but asked for login information and did not accept mint as user with blank password. I read online that you might just need to retry creating the bootable USB. So I booted back into Fedora 22 and formatted my flash drive. However now liveusb-creator does not recognize my flash drive (even though I can see the 16GB Volume in Disks and Files). How can I make it visible?
    Thanks.

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

Re: liveusb-creator does not detect my flash drive

The Live Linux iso's themselves are not asking for a password, I believe that is created by the liveusb-creator program itself. This foils person after person (who, I suppose, don't bother to read the manual for liveusb-creator before using it). Are you saying you could boot into the LinuxMint USB stick at first without a password prompt, but then later is started asking for a password, or did it always ask for a password to boot into the Live system? If it's the former, then I'm puzzled. If the latter, that's a common occurrence caused by the imaging program.

Either way, the best and easiest solution is to use the dd command from a command prompt to image the LinuxMint iso to the USB stick.

dd won't care what's already on the stick, or not, as it does a byte for byte copy of the image file. Just make sure the USB stick is not mounted before using the dd command from Fedora.
    Code:
    # dd if=</path/to/the/MintISOfile> of=/dev/sd<x> bs=8M
    "if" is the InputFile, "of" is the OutputFile (Device). Make sure you specify the correct /dev/sd? that is the USB stick.
    Last edited by PabloTwo; 10th July 2015 at 05:46 PM.

I've found dd has been more reliable than a number of programs that write isos. To find the correct device name for your usb, run:
    Code:
    cat /proc/partitions
    or
    Code:
    lsblk
    and prepend the /dev/ to the sd? name.

Hey all,
    currently writing this post from Linux Mint 17.2 mounted on my hard drive dd was the way to go! Thanks so much to everyone who helped me

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Garfin
    Hey all,
    currently writing this post from Linux Mint 17.2 mounted on my hard drive dd was the way to go! Thanks so much to everyone who helped me
    Nice that you got that going. I have an install of LinuxMint 17.1/Xfce on my desktop PC, which also boots both 32 and 64 bit installs of F22 and W7.

Quote Originally Posted by Garfin
    Hi all,
    I recently created a LinuxMint17 bootable USB stick which worked fine at first but asked for login information and did not accept mint as user with blank password. I read online that you might just need to retry creating the bootable USB. So I booted back into Fedora 22 and formatted my flash drive. However now liveusb-creator does not recognize my flash drive (even though I can see the 16GB Volume in Disks and Files). How can I make it visible?
    Thanks.
    I have the exactly same problems here: I can find and use my USB stick as usual, but when I try to use LiveUSB-creator to make a bootable USB stick, it always complains that it can not find any USB devices.

What can I do with it? Thanks.
    Home: Pentium III. 768M. GeForce GT 730. 120G(3 HDDs)
    Office: Lenovo Xiaoxin 700-15ISK
    Fedora 28

Beyond using the simple effective magic of dd as described above, you can thoroughly complicate the issue at will by using Gparted to find and delete all partitions on the USB stick, rewrite the partition table using (FAT32) and then physically disconnect the USB stick from the computer. Then plug the USB stick back in, (preferably to a different USB port) and re-start Liveusb-creator (via sudo or as root). It should then properly detect your USB stick.

I've done both.

Both worked.

I'll leave you to decide which suits you better.

Well I use to use either live usb creator or unetbootin but lately they were giving me trouble. DD is the way to go. I use DD to wipe usb flash drives and a hard drive now and then. Now I use it for live usb creation also. Should have switched to this method sooner. Live and learn

Thanks to both @Dan and @Temujin !

I tried the Fat-32 way and Liveusb-creator still can not find the stick. The dd gives me a properly wiped and bootable stick.

Thanks! But, still want to know what have happened to Liveusb-creator and MultiWriter ( it could not find the stick either.)
    Home: Pentium III. 768M. GeForce GT 730. 120G(3 HDDs)
    Office: Lenovo Xiaoxin 700-15ISK
    Fedora 28