Fedora 22 KDE - unable to shutdown, prob. nouveau-related (detailed logs provided)
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Fedora 22 KDE - unable to shutdown, prob. nouveau-related (detailed logs provided)

I recently installed the brand new Fedora 22 KDE spin. However, I'm unable to shutdown my system since.

It hangs at a certain screen that shows something about Nouveau.

I put the shutdown screen (before I force-shutdown) and ~/.xsessions-error and /var/log/boot.log together in a Gist. If there are other relevant log files, ask and I'll add them.

https://gist.github.com/stevenroose/...d415c6e278b1c6

EDIT: Tried to "sudo init 0" shutdown, but the same thing happened.

EDIT: Rex Dieter advised me to make a bug report, so I did: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1231378
    Last edited by stevenroose; 12th June 2015 at 11:47 PM.

Re: Fedora 22 KDE - unable to shutdown, prob. nouveau-related (detailed logs provided

The failed to idle channel is a notorious nouveau error message which most of the time is indicative of an imminent Xorg/system hang (unless you are somehow able to remove the cause like by killing some program or Xorg).
    This issue is as far as I have experienced often triggered by certain programs doing stuff on the GPU (like OpenGL) that somehow crashes the driver (a 3d accelerated game that uses some fancy OpenGL extensions in a certain matter, simple things like accelerated DEs and even VLC can cause trouble).
    You can hope for a new kernel, newer version of mesa or an update for the program that causes this such that this doesn't happen anymore, or you can install the proprietary drivers (or simply workaround the problem by not using the programs that cause this, if that is possible) or hope for the best if it is not reproducible.

Have you tried disabling compositing (if that is possible at all with KDE) or any other graphical feature that might stress the GPU or could cause the driver to malfunction?
    Also, have you tried ruling out other problems (e.g. by starting in text mode/another DE and checking whether you can then shutdown properly)?

Re: Fedora 22 KDE - unable to shutdown, prob. nouveau-related (detailed logs provided

Aha, a kind Dutchman (I'm a Flemish guy so hi neighbour!)

You asked several questions. I'm not very experienced with the advanced options you mentioned, though, but I can tell you this.

Of all the GPU-intensive things I can think of, there are only the Plasma desktop itself and VLC. No gaming or whatsoever.

I tried installing the NVIDIA drivers from the RPMfusion repo, but after that my system won't boot up. I'm not the only one having that problem with the drivers from RPM fusion when using KDE. However, I couldn't find anything on that online.
    Perhaps if that gpt fixed (if there were NVIDIA drivers that worked for Fed22KDE, than the Nouveau issue would be gone

I'm not sure whether KDE has a software fallback and am not too sure whether the nouveau noaccel setting actually handles this feature, but you could try to disable the acceleration of graphics (e.g. try booting with nouveau.noaccel=1 and compare the renderer output of the glxinfo command to check that it works).
    The DE performance will depend heavily on your CPU capabilities though.
    It obviously depends on your card but I think nouveau's "2d" stability should be better than "3d".

I ended up using this steps to install working NVIDIA drivers and Bumblebee:
    https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/que...#post-id-70102