FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Will fedup able to handle upgrade of FC 21 KDE spin to FC 22 KDE Spin ?

Hi,

Until FC 21 fedup we were able to properly upgrade fedora KDE spin to new release and keeping KDE as choosen desktop environment and without installing any un-needed gnome packages.

We were able to do that by using the --product = nonproduct switch in fedup

My question is since --product = nonproduct dissapeared, will fedup be able to properly update my KDE based FC 21 to KDE based FC 22 without breaking my desktop or install a bunch of un-needed gnome packages ?

If not I would like to ask, why was --product = nonproduct removed from fedup if it was so useful for these cases in which we want to keep exactly same setups that we have

Regards

Re: Will fedup able to handle upgrade of FC 21 KDE spin to FC 22 KDE Spin ?

Noticed the removal of --product=nonproduct. I can say that my kde FC21 to kde FC22 fedup went quite well and 22 is performing well with a few minor annoyances. (screen saver now requires password after bringing up screen again -- did not in 21 and I cannot find what to click to require no password). Differences in 22 from 21 are somewhat annoying as I had begun to automatically click here or there to do some things and now I have to read the labels as some have changed. i.e. frequently used things was called something I don't recall as I just clicked in the right spot and now it is labeled History and I had to pause and think about that. That said, I am enjoying KDE 22
    Linux Registered User #362558/ Three computers with AMD CPUs. One six core Phenom II 1090T and two eight core FX8350s

Hi,

that is great but did you had a "clean" installation ?... (no bung of default gnome related packages installed)

Regards

I don't believe fedup installs new stuff (like gnome when you have no gnome).... From what I can tell from watching the upgrade, it simply upgrades all the packages that you have on your system to F22 packages and any new dependencies that may come along with them. At least that was my impression! That said, I have gnome, kde, lxde, xfce, and now cinnamon installed as I like to see what's new in each even though I like lxde. Last night I just installed cinnamon to kick it's wheels on Fedora. Like it with Linux Mint, so see how it works with Fedora....

Quote Originally Posted by aderocha
    Hi,

that is great but did you had a "clean" installation ?... (no bung of default gnome related packages installed)
    fedup only installs new packages if they are dependencies.
    Rahul
    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RahulSundaram

that is great

I will try the upgrade then

Thanks

Question to KDE users who have upgraded to Fedora 22 from 21 - does it automatically upgrade KDE to Plasma 5 or does it keep KDE Plasma 4? I do not wish to upgrade my main desktops to Plasma 5 just yet as many of the widgets are not ready or perform in dysfunctional ways - e.g; the folder-view widget on the panel is not a single column dropdown as in KDE 4 but a fixed rectangular folder with icons arranged in rows. Also, the Plasma Dashboard will only show widgets that are on the desktop - it cannot be configured to have an independent set as in KDE4. So if upgrading to Fedora 22 means an automatic upgrade to KDE Plasma 5 I will sit this one out for a year.

Hi

Yeah. Upgrade updates everything. You will have to wait it out if you are not ready for that yet.
    Rahul
    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RahulSundaram

Thanks, Rahul. Hopefully they will have ironed out Plasma 5 in six months. I have it on one machine - but I do not consider it ready yet for workstation use. Widgets are crucial to extending its functionality and many of them have not yet been ported or have not retained the features they had in the latter versions of KDE 4.