[SOLVED] Can't install Fedora 22. Anaconda Error
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't install Fedora 22. Anaconda Error

Hi guys! I was triying to install Fedora 22 from the scratch but I find an problem. After check for a while the new features and check that all were working ok I begin the installation, but I can't pass from select the language & keyboard when a window alerts that there is a unknown problem and it needs to quit or report the error.
    I have reported the error, but i can't remember my account of bugzilla so I sent the information anonymously.

What it could be? My pc is a Lenovo Ideapad Y510P.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Can't install Fedora 22. Anaconda Error

Did you verify the ISO you downloaded?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After many months of testing anaconda, and my similar bug reports with F21 and F22, I can provide what I call a solution to the problem.

After booting the system, the kernel driving anaconda has to scan the hard disk(s) to get a picture of all the partitions therein and the free space on each drive. That scan is slow in elapsed time. If you move forward in anaconda before that scan is completed, you may/will obtain what you experienced, a black screen thereafter, and "pane is dead".

So, for a successful install boot your system, look at the disk activity light on your computer, and when flashing stops, indicating that the scan has completed, you should be able to begin the anaconda installation.
    If performing a network installation, when you boot, always perform the slower check the disk. Skipping this test seems to provide more time for the partition scan.

And if the partitions were created when anaconda crashed, you can find the logs on the ramdisk within /tmp or
    on your hard disk within /var/log/anaconda/

Good luck

On my F21 system, my anaconda logs are dated Jan 18 01:49 . Thus I know when I first installed Fedora 21.
    This information may be a response to another poster who asked for the timestamp corresponding to system birth.

My F22 system system birth time is May 26 18:42 (from /var/log/anaconda)
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    So, for a successful install boot your system, look at the disk activity light on your computer, and when flashing stops, indicating that the scan has completed, you should be able to begin the anaconda installation.
    Thanks for the help, unfortunately my PC doesnt have a disk indicator so I cant know when the scan is complete.

Also, I find some logs from the crash in Fedora 21

Code:
    anaconda 21.48.21-1 exception report
    Traceback (most recent call first):
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/blivet/devicetree.py", line 944, in addUdevPartitionDevice
        raise DeviceTreeError("failed to scan disk %s" % disk.name)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/blivet/devicetree.py", line 1201, in addUdevDevice
        device = self.addUdevPartitionDevice(info)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/blivet/devicetree.py", line 2170, in _populate
        self.addUdevDevice(dev)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/blivet/devicetree.py", line 2105, in populate
        self._populate()
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/blivet/__init__.py", line 480, in reset
        self.devicetree.populate(cleanupOnly=cleanupOnly)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/blivet/__init__.py", line 183, in storageInitialize
        storage.reset()
      File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/threading.py", line 766, in run
        self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
      File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/pyanaconda/threads.py", line 227, in run
        threading.Thread.run(self, *args, **kwargs)
      File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/pyanaconda/threads.py", line 112, in wait
        self.raise_if_error(name)
      File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/pyanaconda/packaging/__init__.py", line 1227, in _runThread
        threadMgr.wait(THREAD_STORAGE)
      File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/threading.py", line 766, in run
        self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
      File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/pyanaconda/threads.py", line 227, in run
        threading.Thread.run(self, *args, **kwargs)
    DeviceTreeError: failed to scan disk sda
    310>
    Its seems that the scan had failed in sda, thats a little weird because sda is present and detected by anaconda, but sdb is not present (my pc has two HDD).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found the problem and his solution:

First: My Laptop has two disks. A principal HDD of 1 TB and a little SSD of 24 GB for system cache porpuses (used by Windows 8.1 with Express Cache) that is used for storage all the data that is constantly used and give extra speed to the system. When this cache is activited it seems to have problems with anaconda, so I delete the partition cache from the SSD (I can make it again later) and now I can install Fedora

Anyways I want to check the speed of the SSD so I temporaly installed Fedora on the SSD and left a little space to make a cache partition. If all works as I expect, I will buy a bigger SSD where I can place Fedora without space limitations.
    Last edited by Chechare; 27th May 2015 at 07:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had something of the same problem. after reading this thread, I booted my computer into parted magic to check the contents of my hard drive. it had an installation of windows.... I used parted magic to delete all the partitions on the drive and then tried to install fedora 22 again. the problem went away and I am installing as we speak. I guess the problem I had was my hard drive was partitioned and left no space for fedora to use to do the install. hope this helps...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This helped me fix the same Anaconda error in Fedora 24. I was attempting to install to a 2TB 2008r2 Windows backup disk. The live disk didn't see it at all. I booted Windows 10 and it showed the disk as uninitialized. I let Windows initialize the disk and then Anaconda was happy with it.