Suddenly "Alert! Hard Drive not found" error on Fedora 20 months after upgrade
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Suddenly "Alert! Hard Drive not found" error on Fedora 20 months after upgrade

I've been using Fedora 17 for a few years on my work machine and recently I decided to upgrade to Fedora 20 (several months ago actually). While working yesterday, my desktop background image went black, then the screen went black. So, I rebooted and now I'm getting "Alert! Hard Drive not found" when the machine tries to boot. I can't see the drives from the BIOS menu (for both connected HDs it says "{none}") and if I run the diagnostics or try to install from a LiveCD I get the same errors that say no drive was detected.

I've seen many posts on this topic but I haven't seen a solution. Is there anything I could try to get the system to recognize the drives or at least test if this is a software issue? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by SES23; 6th March 2015 at 07:18 PM.

Re: Suddenly "Alert! Hard Drive not found" error on Fedora 20 months after upgrade

Is this error message the very first thing you see? When do you see it? Is it before or after the GRUB menu? It sounds like the drive died to me, off hand, but I don't know where you're seeing this error message.

Re: Suddenly "Alert! Hard Drive not found" error on Fedora 20 months after upgrade

Open it up and check the connections. Then check the hard drives: when you switch it on, do you hear any sound coming from them? Both drives at the same time sounds more like a mobo (controller) issue to me. If the BIOS doesn't see them, no software can.

This is a Dell Optiplex 990, and right after it boots up to the Dell splash screen where you can press F12 to change the boot options or access the BIOS settings it goes to a black screen that just says:

Code:
    Alert! Hard Drive not found.
    To continue press F1 key
    To change setup option press F2 key
    To run onboard diagnostics press F5 key
    When I press F5 it stops at the hard drive step and says to contact Dell because the hard drive could not be detected. I get the same message if I try to do an install from a LiveCD. I thought it might be the connections, but I checked everything really good, cleaned things up, restarted and I get the same issue. I do hear the hard drive when I start up the machine, just like normal and I can tell the disk is working and getting power. It seems odd that both of my 3TB drives can't be found suddenly, which makes me think it is a software issue. I don't know anything about hardware though so I'm not sure what else to try.

Can you elaborate on what a controller is or how I might check that?

If it's a Dell Optiplex, I guess it's safe to assume no hardware controller is involved. The only reason I can't concur with you about the software issue is the BIOS not detecting the HDDs. Do you have any valuable data on them? Are they on a software RAID?

Quote Originally Posted by giulix
    If it's a Dell Optiplex, I guess it's safe to assume no hardware controller is involved. The only reason I can't concur with you about the software issue is the BIOS not detecting the HDDs. Do you have any valuable data on them? Are they on a software RAID?
    The drives are not set up as RAID but I do have the data backed up if that is what you mean. If it is likely that the drives are bad, as it seems, then I'm not going to spend more time trying to fix the issue. Is this common, that is, for both drives to go bad at once? The only thing I can think is some kind of power surge, though I was sitting at my desk when I noticed this and I didn't hear or see anything abnormal. Anyway, I will update the post if find a solution by getting new HDs or whatever I end up doing.

What about resetting the BIOS back to 'default' settings? (Usually on the last page). Wonder if it just got corrupted somehow.
    Change - the only constant.

Quote Originally Posted by lightman47
    What about resetting the BIOS back to 'default' settings? (Usually on the last page). Wonder if it just got corrupted somehow.
    I thought that was going to work! It did not generate that error message immediately, but went to a blank screen with a the cursor in the top right for a minute and I could hear the HD working. But, unfortunately the same error message eventually came up saying the hard drive was not found.

Try disconnecting one drive at a time. Better, connect just one drive that you know it's working, if you have one. I still think it's the mobo and not the drives.

Quote Originally Posted by giulix
    Try disconnecting one drive at a time. Better, connect just one drive that you know it's working, if you have one. I still think it's the mobo and not the drives.
    I tried that, one at a time, and it had no effect. I can hear the HDs spinning and noticed that they do come on and start a clicking noise on start up as usual (maybe a bad sign?), but then it just goes to the same screen saying no HD was found.

Long shot: is there a BIOS update that you can install?

Click of death?? :-(

Having a hard time with BOTH failing simultaneously. I mean, what are the odds?

Quote Originally Posted by lightman47
    Click of death?? :-(

Having a hard time with BOTH failing simultaneously. I mean, what are the odds?
    Not a bad click, I have heard disks that were about to fail and made terrible vibrations. This disk has always made a faint noise when starting up, so I wouldn't say that is the issue. Still, for both to have gone bad as the explanation for the message...seems unlikely. That is why I thought it was a software issue or maybe some connection. I'll see if I can get one of the IT guys to see what they can do...unless there are other suggestions.

Something in the drive firmware got hosed most likely. I've lost a number of drives that way, though never two at a time. Mine were covered under warranty (drive warranty) so it was just a matter of shipping/waiting/installing. I once played with one repeatedly and got it back --- for a few weeks. heh

On occasion, leaving a hard drive in a freezer overnight will get it working again, at least enough to get data off it if you need that.

You can also try booting from a live USB or CD and seeing if the live version sees drives. Also, trying to boot with a known good drive would help determine if it's MB or drives.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast