FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

F21 background colors

Fedora 21 provides 14 posible colors I can use as a solid background color. That is a bit limiting considering my video adapter supports 4 billion or so individual colors. How can I set a custom color as a background color in F21 ?

Re: F21 background colors

How about making an image file with that color? Maybe there is also some mask to put in the color code. Choosing from a menu with 4 billion colors would be pretty annoying for most users though.
    Last edited by robbyt; 3rd January 2015 at 09:26 AM. Reason: yes

Quote Originally Posted by robbyt
    How about making an image file with that color? Maybe there is also some mask to put in the color code. Choosing from a menu with 4 billion colors would be pretty annoying for most users though.
    Most distros have a GUI color chooser and/or color wheel for choosing a color. It looks to be a limitation of Gnome3 that only 14/15 background colors are allowable, since CentOS7 has the same limitation also running Gnome3. Ubuntu's Unity desktop, which is based off of Gnome3, has no such limitation.

Like many users I have struggled with Gnome3's limitations from the beginning of using it. While it has some good features its simplified approach to just about everything desktop-related does not suit me. It looks like I need to experiment with other window managers on Fedora ( and CentOS7 ).

gnome tweak tools may expand your options. just a thought. or use the gconf editor to set different background colour hash values.

Quote Originally Posted by arehtykitna
    gnome tweak tools may expand your options. just a thought. or use the gconf editor to set different background colour hash values.
    In Gnome tweak tools I see Desktop | Background | Mode and Desktop | Background | Background Location but nothing for setting the background color.

I see both a "dconf Editor" amid my Applications and a "gconf-editor" among my installed programs. What is the difference between them ?

The gconf-editor has a Desktop | Gnome | Background primary-color and secondary-color hex values. Are those the values to change ? How do I correlate a hex value with an actual background color I can see ?

Yes those two values should work. you can find hex codes for colours using the colour picker in GIMP or any other image editor. There is also a handy resource here:

http://www.cloford.com/resources/colours/500col.htm

The two options enable a colour gradient. so if you want one solid colour set both the same.

Yes those two values should work. you can find hex codes for colours using the colour picker in GIMP or any other image editor. There is also a handy resource here:

http://www.cloford.com/resources/colours/500col.htm

The two options enable a colour gradient. so if you want one solid colour set both the same.
    The primary_color and secondary_color in /desktop/gnome/background are both 6 pairs of hex digits, not 3 pairs of hex digits as in your link above. The 3 pairs of hex digits are almost certainly the RGB values that create the final color. Any idea how to translate the 3 pairs of hex digits in your link above to the 6 pairs of hex digits used in the GConf Configuration Editor ?

it should work anyhow with the 3 pair values. if you look in dconf editor, the default value is given as a 3 pair even though the value is 6 in the information box.

it should work anyhow with the 3 pair values. if you look in dconf editor, the default value is given as a 3 pair even though the value is 6 in the information box.
    It does not work with 3 pair values. I changed the /desktop/gnome/background/primary_color and /desktop/gnome/background/secondary_color in the GConf Configuration Editor to the same color value using the 3 pair values and rebooted, and nothing changes in my solid desktop background color under Gnome3.

I've just installed Workstation in a Virtual Machine to play around with this among other things. It is fully updated via yumex and restarted before I played around.

Using dconf editor I have managed to get a gradient background with two hex values off the internet. Link to screenshot below

http://tinypic.com/r/2ijlmxf/8

I'm on CentOS with Mate at the moment. I've never thought of changing background colors on anything (I use images) although I have a few favorite hex values I keep applying to pieces of themes when I can.

So, I took a look at the Appearances preference panel. Sure enough, there's a menu to play with colors and gradients. I imagine it was there for years in Gnome 2. Hex values are surely not in the typical user's bag of tricks, but dragging sliders up and down is.

Yeah in MATE it is easy. GNOME 3 they took that option away. you just get a tab with preset solid colours to choose from. So you need to start tinkering with dconf.

I've just installed Workstation in a Virtual Machine to play around with this among other things. It is fully updated via yumex and restarted before I played around.

Using dconf editor I have managed to get a gradient background with two hex values off the internet. Link to screenshot below

http://tinypic.com/r/2ijlmxf/8
    That worked correctly. Thanks !

I have gathered that dconf is the latest and gconf is essentially being phased out. Having two different ways in Gnome for setting values is confusing but I understand that dconf is now what should be used.

Thank you! I know it sounds ridiculous, but I've bee trying to figure this out for days. I just want my background to be black. Why is this so hard to do now? I feel like this is a weirdly restrictive move. Why would anyone want to limit background colors?

there's a backgrounds-extras wallpaper now for Fedora 26 and 27 that is just a solid plain dark blue. no texture, just a colour. Such a waste of memory to draw something that could be rendered as a simple colour choice.