FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

wps software (from China) A MS WORD For Linux

If you grew up with MS OFFICE, then the wps.com software is for you.

Want your familiar powerpoint, , spreadsheet, wordprocessor (for now) with full compatibility with MS OFFICE, including the familiar ribbon layout and style management

wps.com is the rebranding of Kingsoft wordprocessor. There is a Fedora (rpm) and debian version.

First you load the application, then follow up with the extra fonts.

Choose the English packages .
    wps-office-9.1.0.4751-1.a15.i686.rpm
    wps-office-fonts-1.0-1.noarch.rpm

sudo yum install wps*

===========

Isn't it nice to type

This is header 1

Swipe it, and then click on "header1" to create a header1 format,
    There are 9 header formats to enjoy

I did a test. I took a MS Word document (doc), read it into wps-word, did some edits and saved it under a new name. Then I went to Windoz and confirmed that the result was as anticipated. It works well,

I will test the spreadsheet and presentation stuff in a day or two.

This software is easier to use than OO, because of the ribbon interface, and the structure.

It feels as if it was written with QT, (C++), The speed of following your typing appears slightly slower than with libreoffice writer, but then, I only type at 60 words per minute, and it kept up.

Give it a try.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

stevea Guest

Re: wps software (from China) A MS WORD For Linux

Tnx Leslie,

I'm always looking for a better MSO equivalent. I don't greatly care about the ribbon interface or "feel alike" features. LibreOffice hasn't really picked up there compatibility game (well to be fair it really is M$ fault).

But a closed source mass market freebie from china is a bit frightening.
    I'm thinking libvirt-sandbox needs a spin.

It is a word processor under linux. It is a private for profit company, not the government. I fear not their product, and endorse it. As I indicated, I believe they wrote it using QT and QT libraries.

With libreoffice, I am constantly looking into the help for recall how to, in one shot, create a paragraph header, and a link for the table of contents. Libreoffice is a writer, not a document preparer.

Visit wps.com and browse. As i did, I tried it, I liked it. I am using it.
    Leslie in Montreal

If need to exchange docx I'd rather go with Office 2007 and Wine because there is no such thing as true MS Office compatibility.

Well spotted. I knew of their version for Android, but I didn't know they had one for Linux distros themselves. Maybe with this we can move a few more people over to Linux.
    Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad L440, CPU: Intel Core i7 4702MQ Quad Core 2.20 GHz, Ram: 16GB DDR3, Hard Drive: 500GB, Graphics: Intel 4600 HD, Wireless: Intel 7260AC

First it was the Russian Fedora Remix, now a closed source Chinese MSO clone - a pattern is emerging here Leslie, and from where I sit (Goldwater/McCain country) it ain't pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    It is a private for profit company, not the government.
    No such thing.

Added to comply with minimum post size.

Quote Originally Posted by kurtdriver
    No such thing.

Added to comply with minimum post size.
    It really doesn't matter anymore, it is either China, Germany, the UK, Australia, New Zealand, the United States, pick any country you like that does massive surveillance now. There is no escaping it.
    Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad L440, CPU: Intel Core i7 4702MQ Quad Core 2.20 GHz, Ram: 16GB DDR3, Hard Drive: 500GB, Graphics: Intel 4600 HD, Wireless: Intel 7260AC

Yeah, but look at your list. Except for the first country, none of them are a threat to mine. Well your's, I suppose.

bob is online now Administrator (yeah, back again)
    Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).

*sniff* *sniff*....do I smell a hint of POLITICS starting to stink up a good thread?
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Quote Originally Posted by sonoran
    First it was the Russian Fedora Remix, now a closed source Chinese MSO clone - a pattern is emerging here Leslie, and from where I sit (Goldwater/McCain country) it ain't pretty.
    Hi Sonoran,

You have probably noticed that there is zero US based distributions that go much beyond providing free codecs and limited free software. Any distribution that is incorporated outside the USA eg, Ubuntu, Mint, Suse, Arch, and offshore Fedora Remixes, (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/List_of_Fedora_remixes) have different rules regarding software patents.

Regarding the Russian remix... I stumbled upon it, and after being satisfied with versions F18, F19, and F20, it is my only installed Remix version of Fedora. I am hoping that they agree to produce a F21 Remix.

China happens to be a country with a population exceeding 1 billion. China wants an domestic vendor. That domestic office software has to be compatible with competitive versions in use around the world.

By the way, wps software can save files in multiple formats, (odt, doc html, docx, etc.) so that they are striving to meet any competitive standard. LibreOffice needs to look at a better ergonomic interface.
    Leslie in Montreal

Hi Leslie~
    It has been many years since I tried MS Word but the memory of that painful experience
    remains. My only requirement in a word processor is that it get out of my way and I'm pretty
    sure Word is still a failure in that respect. LibreOffice allows me to hide its interface, which is
    all the ergonomics I need.

No one I deal with has ever had a problem handling the documents I produce with LibreOffice,
    but if they did I would tell them to throw off their shackles and embrace open standards. Don't
    we all know by now that the way to deal with bullies is to fight back, not acquiesce.

As for the Russians and the Chinese, the old adage applies - if you have to explain a joke...

I am using wps office (alphap2). It is truly compatiable with msoffice. you can set default to .doc or .docx or .xls or .xlsx. I think adoption of wps office may bring more people to linux who are overdepndent on msoffice.

In one crazy example, one of my colleague installed msoffice2007 over msoffice2003. He started having trouble. I gave him wps.exe file and he installed wps office in windows 7 and never complained afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by kkshethin
    I am using wps office (alphap2). It is truly compatiable with msoffice. you can set default to .doc or .docx or .xls or .xlsx. I think adoption of wps office may bring more people to linux who are overdepndent on msoffice.

In one crazy example, one of my colleague installed msoffice2007 over msoffice2003. He started having trouble. I gave him wps.exe file and he installed wps office in windows 7 and never complained afterwards.
    I used it with Fedora20, and Centos7. I had some missing libraries to install when it came to Fedora21.
    In about 20 minutes, I will be installing wps.com

I came across wps.com when it was called kingsoft. Apparently they have over 1 million installations (China and Linux)
    Leslie in Montreal

I have a font file that wps.com created some time back. Is there any interest in installing the extra fonts?
    Leslie in Montreal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast