‘Impossible’ space drive tested by NASA foretells future of deep-space travel
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

‘Impossible’ space drive tested by NASA foretells future of deep-space travel

yeah! new physics interesting always.

http://rt.com/usa/177204-nasa-space-drive-emdrive/

NASA has conducted long-awaited experiments to prove that the fabled space drive, capable of generating its own thrust and breaking a fundamental law of physics, works. If the find survives fresh scrutiny, space ship construction will be revolutionized.

The drive’s creator, British scientist Roger Shawyer, has been facing criticism since his 2006 claims, based on the premise that thrust can be created without huge thrusters, instead using electricity to direct microwaves inside a special container.

Evil_Bert is offline Retired Again - Administrator

Re: ‘Impossible’ space drive tested by NASA foretells future of deep-space travel

I read that elsewhere today.

So, if impossible = infinitely improbable, then we finally have the Infinite Improbability Drive.
    Marching to the beat of his own conundrum.

Washington Island, Wisconsin, thru Death's Door

Re: ‘Impossible’ space drive tested by NASA foretells future of deep-space travel

National technology demonstrator NASA "conducting experiments" is neither validation nor falsification, but merely a product search.

Even so unskeptical/credulous an outlet as the Wikipedia notes problems with the basic research and with untimely publication in non-peer reviewed journals. Heck, The Conversation hasn't acknowledged it yet.

Yes, the Infinite Improbability Drive.

Evil_Bert is offline Retired Again - Administrator

It's powered by a Flux Capacitor.
    Marching to the beat of his own conundrum.

So, does this mean that deep space travel is impossible ?

It was not a very convincing experiment for something that requires extraordinary evidence - tossing conservation of momentum out the window would invalidate almost everything we understand from quantum physics to cosmology.

User error. Please replace user and try again

I guess we will see if someone decides to use this technology and it works. If it does speed up current space travel by 100 times as the article indicates then we could reach Pluto in about 3 months time versus 23 years time.
    Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T420, CPU: Intel Core i5 520M, Ram: 8GB DDR3, Hard Drive: 320GB, Graphics: Intel HD, OS: Windows 7 / Arch Linux x86_64
    Desktop: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4, CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1200, RAM: 8GB DDR4, Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, Graphics: Asus Radeon RX 550 4GB, OS: Arch Linux x86_64

Depends on quantum mechanics...

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...casimir-effec/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum...lasma_thruster

Whether it actually works or not is the question. Quantum mechanics can show really strange (and non-intuitive) results. Some things work. The question is whether or not THIS one works.

Then, if it works, how to make it useful is a follow on. Right now, the amount of thrust created is extremely small.

The conjecture is that momentum is imparted to the virtual particles that permeate empty space.

If we are applying electric and magnetic forces to the pair of particles then the net result will be zero since they have opposite charge.

If we separate the particles so that they change from virtual to real and expel them out the exhaust, as per the Q-Thruster mentioned in Wikipedia, then all you have done is convert energy into matter. This might work, but it would probably be more efficient to just use the momentum of photons.

User error. Please replace user and try again

By chance, my normal morning browsing took me straight from here to http://xkcd.com/1404/.

stevea Guest

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/ca...0140006052.pdf

Approximately 30-50 micro-Newtons of thrust were recorded from an electric propulsion test article consisting primarily of a radio frequency (RF) resonant cavity excited at approximately 935 megahertz.
    Hmm - that ~50 microNewton drive would accelerate my *ss up to 35mph in 1 years. My totally uninteresting auto will accelerate 10x the mass in <6 seconds. "Houston, we have a problem".

At least it won't interfere w/ WiFi or the XU band comm.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder
    I guess we will see if someone decides to use this technology and it works. If it does speed up current space travel by 100 times as the article indicates then we could reach Pluto in about 3 months time versus 23 years time.
    It isn't primarily a question of speed but of whether you have to carry fuel. Current technology basically shoots stuff up there and then throws it overboard to achieve motion.
    http://www.jerrypournelle.com/chaosm...iment-reports/

Quote Originally Posted by stevea

Hmm - that ~50 microNewton drive would accelerate my *ss up to 35mph in 1 years. My totally uninteresting auto will accelerate 10x the mass in <6 seconds. "Houston, we have a problem".

Dr. Goddards first liquid fueled rocket wouldn't get your car much faster...

Likely it would just barely move... then it is out of fuel. And you have to wait a couple of years to cover the distance...

>>"...researchers measured thrust not only when the drive was configured to produce it, but also when set up to do nothing at all..." -- NASA Watch

I'm all for research, and research money, targeting advanced propulsion techniques, but this *very* over-hyped report seems thoroughly sketchy. For just one thing, with all the mumb-jumbo about quantum particles in a vacuum (is their existence proven?) the device was not tested in a vacuum. The miniscule thrust claimed to have been measured might have, for all we know, been due to air convection within the chamber.

Meanwhile, where's my Dilithium crystal?

leigh123linux Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stevea

Perhaps you should try a Vindaloo curry to double the output

Perhaps you should try a Vindaloo curry to double the output
    Add a few pints of dodgy Lager to that and you have a winning formula.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast