Bookmark problem
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Bookmark problem

Hi All,

I run F 19 32 Gnome from a dedicated drive and am unable to save bookmarks in Firefox. This has occurred over reinstalls of F19 and the progression from FF 28->30.

This may be a FF problem and I'm contacting them also, but I wondet if anyone here has had the same problem.

Hopefully,
    jeb

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

Re: Bookmark problem

Umm, have you checked in Bookmarks > Recently Bookmarked and/or Bookmarks > Unsorted Bookmarks to see if your "missing" bookmarks are there?

Quote Originally Posted by PabloTwo
    Umm, have you checked in Bookmarks > Recently Bookmarked and/or Bookmarks > Unsorted Bookmarks to see if your "missing" bookmarks are there?
    Hi Pablo, thanks for your quick response.

My problem is more basic. When I click on "Bookmark This Page" or key Ctrl D I should get a popup which has the name and address of the web page I'm on. This is where I choose where in the bookmarks I want to put it. The popup doesn't come up.

Both click and key bring the popup for bookmarks already in my list.

There's a thread on Mozilla for this problem which seems to be in versions 28->30. Unfortunately, it only has 'try this or that,' not solutions.

jeb

That explains your problem much better. What firefox plugins/extentions do you have active?

That explains your problem much better. What firefox plugins/extentions do you have active?
    Hi
    Going to Help, I restarted with Add-ons Disabled which disabled all the extensions. Then I disabled all the plugins.

No change; neither click nor key brings the popup.

In addition, when I go to "Show All Bookmarks," click on left-side Toolbar, Menu or Unsorted and then right-click on right-side a popup gives me several options. One is New Bookmark where I can type in the blank spaces, but can't Cancel or Add.

At that point the Library Tab screen goes gray and the upper-right corner "x" doesn't work. This doesn't seem to effect the other Tabs. It's necessary to close FF to eliminate that Tab.

I hope you can make more sense of this than I can.

jeb

Click error

I hadn't run across this type of problem in firefox before. I can only think of two things to try.

Check for any possibly corrupted firefox install files with the command,
    Code:
    rpm -V firefox
    No output means no altered files were found.

Create a new user profile and see if by using firefox with the new profile, the problem still exits. You can do that one of two ways...

Launch firefox from the command line with: firefox -ProfileManager
    which should have an option to create a new profile if only one exists. Then then when you relaunch firefox, it should come up with a window to select which profile to use.

Launch firefox from the command line with: firefox -CreateProfile <name>
    which should create a new profile. And again, relaunching firefox should bring up the profile manager and let you select which one to use.

Solved: Bookmark problem

I hadn't run across this type of problem in firefox before. I can only think of two things to try.

Check for any possibly corrupted firefox install files with the command,
    Code:
    rpm -V firefox
    No output means no altered files were found
    no altered files were found

Create a new user profile and see if by using firefox with the new profile, the problem still exits. You can do that one of two ways...

Launch firefox from the command line with: firefox -ProfileManager
    which should have an option to create a new profile if only one exists. Then then when you relaunch firefox, it should come up with a window to select which profile to use.

Launch firefox from the command line with: firefox -CreateProfile <name>
    which should create a new profile. And again, relaunching firefox should bring up the profile manager and let you select which one to use.
    Hi Pablo,
    Sorry to be so long; I had offline stuff to do.

I created a new profile with all addons and extensions inactive, then activated Foxclocks and Download Helper(having a 2nd smaller problem). The boolmark popup now comes and the 2nd problem-Download Helper, is solved as well.

I have a number of extensions and addons so I plan to activate one at a time(and take a closer look at each of them for utility).

I have a question: In the Plugins Shockwave Flash is shown as Always Activate whereas all the others say Ask to Activate. Is there any significance to the difference?

Thanks again for the help.

jeb

PS I've yet to receive a useful response from Mozilla

About the Adobe flash plugin, this a deliberate upstream change, all plugins are set to "ask to activate"/click-to-play by default except Adobe Flash: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=899080
    https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...bility#Plugins

FWIW, I always change it to "ask to active".

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad Samir
    About the Adobe flash plugin, this a deliberate upstream change, all plugins are set to "ask to activate"/click-to-play by default except Adobe Flash: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=899080
    https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...bility#Plugins

FWIW, I always change it to "ask to active".
    Hi Ahmad,
    Thanks for your hot-off-the-stove quick response.

Another question to illustrate my level of expertise

I assume "Always Activate" means it's on whenever FF is; what are the disadvantages of always on?

Thanks again,
    jeb

If say you go to a youtube page with a video in it:
    - if you have it set to "always activate" the video will play as soon as the page finishes loading
    - if you have it set to "ask to activate" then the video won't play until you allow the plugin either: "allow" (i.e. just this time) or "allow and remember" (i.e. always allow this plugin for this web site).

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad Samir
    If say you go to a youtube page with a video in it:
    - if you have it set to "always activate" the video will play as soon as the page finishes loading
    - if you have it set to "ask to activate" then the video won't play until you allow the plugin either: "allow" (i.e. just this time) or "allow and remember" (i.e. always allow this plugin for this web site).
    Hi Ahmad,
    Succinctly put, thank you. I deal with a lot of videos so Always Activate sounds good.

Thanks again.
    jeb