How about an international Forum area
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How about an international Forum area

From all the output of Fedora Planet, Fedora magazine etc, we see that there are or appear to be more developments taking place outside of the English world, than in.

Why not have an international forum, where Fedora users and others could post in their own language. Want to follow a foreign conversation, use Google or other brand of Translate program.

We could Spanish, French, Portugese Russian, German and Chinese languages therein. They would have to use the USA standard keyboard layout or one which FedoraForum supports.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Re: How about an international Forum area

My initial reaction is that this will simply divide up the forum into separate smaller groups which will consequently have less content and less knowledge than one large forum.

How will I know what is in a foreign conversation if I cannot understand the title ? How would one search across languages - its hard enough getting good search terms in English.

User error. Please replace user and try again

Many other language speakers do indeed maintain their own forums. That being said, as a general rule, English is the currently most common language of commerce. I doubt that will last more than another decade or so, and probably less, but for now, it's the defacto default. Ergo, we're in English ... for now.

Beyond that, if you think about it for a while, I think you'll be able to glean why just the infrastructure necessary for multi-lingual forums is prohibitive, much less the logistics and administrative man-power requirements.

Also remember that the kind of thing you are talking about is expensive. Very expensive. So unless you're willing to pony up for some serious user fees and a stunning amount of unavoidable advertising .... probably better to let Google Translate have the hard jobs, and cope with the current restrictions.

Lord knows I myself have absolutely no intention nor the basic ability to learn any other languages than the two I already speak ... broken English, and bad English.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    Many other language speakers do indeed maintain their own forums.
    Yep. For example, there's a French Fedora Forums: http://forums.fedora-fr.org/
    That's been around for a long time. I've even posted there.

From what I've gathered, it doesn't appear that having separate forums is dividing the forums user base. Those who can speak English (and even some who can't ) still post here, as well as in the forums for their language.
    OS: Fedora 28 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 7GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).

Babelfish is a heck of a tool for assisting non-English-speaking members, however as an Admin, I couldn't check over multiple threads that have posts where everything would need to be translated. It's tough enough dealing with issues now.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

leigh123linux Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bob
    Babelfish is a heck of a tool for assisting non-English-speaking members, however as an Admin, I couldn't check over multiple threads that have posts where everything would need to be translated. It's tough enough dealing with issues now.
    Deciding which beer to drink today isn't an issue

Who's going to monitor the international forums for spam and violations of forum rules? Heck, who's going to take the time to translate the rules? It would mean a whole bunch of new admins. Seems like a lot of work for very little gain, especially when many countries have their own support forums.
    I used to miss my wife but then my aim improved.

French & German forums should be easy, they're practically English, no?

:P
    Robot Nite - Designated device drivers drink free

Hi Guys,
    The foreign language postings would be policed by the guys who use that area. Its not hard to maintain.
    Magela website has about 20 languages. Moderators check for swearing or insults. That's it.
    Leslie in Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    Many other language speakers do indeed maintain their own forums. That being said, as a general rule, English is the currently most common language of commerce. I doubt that will last more than another decade or so, and probably less, but for now, it's the defacto default. Ergo, we're in English ... for now.

Beyond that, if you think about it for a while, I think you'll be able to glean why just the infrastructure necessary for multi-lingual forums is prohibitive, much less the logistics and administrative man-power requirements.

Also remember that the kind of thing you are talking about is expensive. Very expensive. So unless you're willing to pony up for some serious user fees and a stunning amount of unavoidable advertising .... probably better to let Google Translate have the hard jobs, and cope with the current restrictions.

Lord knows I myself have absolutely no intention nor the basic ability to learn any other languages than the two I already speak ... broken English, and bad English.
    Who polices Planet Fedora. Half the postings are in other than English. Actually, I believe that the greatest number of Desktop Linux users are non-English speaking, and thats all because of the cost of the big two vendor's software and hardware.

I get a journal from the France Linux group and it's circulation is worldwide, and the articles therein are just at the right level of detail. Its about $15/copy. There is also a British Linux mag with glossy pages at around the same $15/copy. I have not seen a North American Linux magazine that sends out the issue with paper.
    Leslie in Montreal

leigh123linux Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lsatenstein
    Who polices Planet Fedora. Half the postings are in other than English. Actually, I believe that the greatest number of Desktop Linux users are non-English speaking, and thats all because of the cost of the big two vendor's software and hardware.

I get a journal from the France Linux group and it's circulation is worldwide, and the articles therein are just at the right level of detail. Its about $15/copy. There is also a British Linux mag with glossy pages at around the same $15/copy. I have not seen a North American Linux magazine that sends out the issue with paper.
    If it bothers you that much start your own forum as the admins (and probably most users) here don't give a frig about non-English.

You know, not to put salt in the wound... but Bob and I think Dan too, had the idea of trying other topics (carpentry, bbqing, photography) and that fell flat with a loud thud. Some topics they introduced, kind of hung around - but the forum spoke volumes as to what the interest was.

Not trying to be harsh, but simply put, I believe there would be no interest in multi-language sections in this forum. And the folks that may participate in multi-language sections - probably all ready have that need met in other forums and blogs.

I think you have a fall flat thud idea - at least for this forum, Leslie. The Fedora Forum regulars are not going to participate, and thus the value and resource of info will not be present in a multi-language section.
    On quest for blue smoke and red rings...

leigh123linux Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BBQdave
    You know, not to put salt in the wound... but Bob and I think Dan too, had the idea of trying other topics (carpentry, bbqing, photography) and that fell flat with a loud thud. Some topics they introduced, kind of hung around - but the forum spoke volumes as to what the interest was.

Not trying to be harsh, but simply put, I believe there would be no interest in multi-language sections in this forum. And the folks that may participate in multi-language sections - probably all ready have that need met in other forums and blogs.

I think you have a fall flat thud idea - at least for this forum, Leslie. The Fedora Forum regulars are not going to participate, and thus the value and resource of info will not be present in a multi-language section.

I didn't like their idea either (jack of all trades master of none), nearly as bad as Dan's themes (sorry Dan ).

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).

*sob* Another wonderful idea shot down by reality.

Yeah, Dan's Photography topic is always popular, but otherwise, we're fixated on Fedora.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

leigh123linux Guest

For the record the official fedoraproject.org site only supports three languages.

https://ask.fedoraproject.org

Fedoraforum already supports two (English and bad English).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast