HELP! EFI lessons learned from Toshiba satellite NB10T-A-101
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HELP! EFI lessons learned from Toshiba satellite NB10T-A-101

During the last few days I learned a lot about EFI because of this laptop.

First off, it does not seem to want to boot from anything but the Boot Order 0000 item, which is set to Windows 8 by default.
    There is also a /efi/EFI/toshiba path that seems to be used when all else fails.

It also "fixes" the boot order and the boot item 0000 whenever it cannot boot, reinstalling windows8 boot manager there.
    Btw, simply going into BIOS and specifying to boot from USB drive instead of HDD also seems to change the EFI boot order.
    At some point, I even succeeded in BIOS crashing on me -- it just would not boot from anywhere..
    I fixed it by removing the HDD

By replacing the files at /efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot with Fedora equivalents I was able to get to the dreaded
    grub>
    prompt. I say dreaded but it was a welcome sign after seeing all my failed attempts at changing the boot order and ending up in win8 every time.

It just will not boot from 0004 or anything else that grub2-efi installs itself as, even if 0004 is the first in the BootOrder

After booting from Fedora 20 Live (btw it only boots in its Safe mode due to a video driver incompatibility!), I tried many things including

(I did a chroot after mounting all partitions, then tried)
    efibootmgr -o myneworder-with-fedora-first -w
    yum reinstall grub2-efi shim

I even tried the bncutil or whatever it was to set the boot order from windows8 itself.

So far I was NOT able to get this machine to boot to grub menu - I can get the grub prompt, but that's hardly enough.
    I even tried gummiboot. No luck.

Here is my PLEA: What DOES grub exactly need to boot?
    I was able to get to grub prompt, but never the menu..

What other files does it need so it actually displays its menu?

Right now, I am getting the grub> prompt, even though I copied the entire /efi/EFI/Fedora/* to /efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot
    And even copied the grub.cfg file to the correct path -- according to fedora documentation at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GRUB_2
    When I do an "ls" at that grub prompt, I get a long list of partitions (hd0,gpt1...9)

PS: This CPU *requires* EFI; otherwise I would have long re-partitioned this machine to remove 8 altogether. Actually, shall I just do that ?
    It also has the unsafe boot option, which has been set ever since I starting fiddling with it. There is NO MBR option in BIOS.

Should I try Ubuntu's boot repair utility? I have no intentions on going to Ubuntu, tho.

Many thanks, -turgut

Should I try Ubuntu's boot repair utility? I have no intentions on going to Ubuntu, tho.
    Last edited by tkalfaoglu; 11th April 2014 at 11:45 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: HELP! EFI lessons learned from Toshiba satellite NB10T-A-101

Saga Continues: I deleted windows 8 partitions, only leaving the EFI partition intact, and attempting a clean install of F20.. Wish me luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With much hesitation I reformatted everything, including the /boot/efi partition and I now have a booting system, and a grub menu that shows things

I'm happy.

The moral of the story: Do not attempt dual-boot; just format the damn thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry for the late post

I have C55D I have to turn off the Secure boot and use CSM boot mode to get fedora and LMDE loaded on it. At some point I trashed the efi boot for W8 There are some how-to's to get it back but I can't say I miss it so what's the point? Should probably just format the whole thing over.

To get at the bios I have to press F12 when it powers up and then hunt around for the settings.
    x--x--x
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
    Freedom is never Free.
    Pat Jr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many thanks for your feedback; Toshiba BIOS does not have an option to disable EFI; As crazy as this sounds, I believe this CPU has a such limitation; it will not boot from non-efi.
    But yes, I disabled secure boot from BIOS as well; what a Microsoft nonsense that is!

Toshiba BIOS also has bugs:
    1) Boot from network cannot be disabled in BIOS.
    2) Even when the boot from network option is AFTER HDD and USB, it will *still* try to boot from network first.

b4time Guest

Thanks for the heads up PatMcLJr . I will be doing an over the phone linux mint install of

this model(hopefully). It might have to be sent to me if it does not go well. He just bought

it yesterday. Always good to know what your getting into. Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's the best solution -- delete all the partitions except the EFI.
    Format the EFI partition; create partition(s) for yor linux and just install..

The only thing that apparently does not work is the toggle connected display button; it does not switch on/off/toggle the external display; the external display stays in the extended desktop mode. I'm still working on that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Guys; I have been following your discussion with great interest as I have a Toshiba NB10T-A-101 and a strong desire to do away with Windows 8 (actually my wife but it has "become" my job )

Is there any chance you would be kind enough to post some newbie level step by step instructions for how to install Fedora onto this UEFI monster so that it will boot from the hard disk ?

I have been through various flavours of Linux with various levels of success but nothing can manage the last part which is to boot off the laptops own hard disk.

You are the first people to claim to have got this working.

I'm sure this would be appreciated by myself and many other people that I've found who are seeking the same answer.

many thanks

Eddielad