VICI: A Software Development Project - Page 9
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Re: VICI: A Software Development Project

Release 0.10.682 Published

Unfortunately '681 doesn't do a very good job of finding Qt's utility programs for a normal install of Qt5 on Ubuntu and similar.
    This release hopefully fixes that problem.

User error. Please replace user and try again

Release vici-0.10.683 Published

And, of course, as soon as one problem is fixed another one is exposed.
    At least it's nice to be getting some feedback.
    Last edited by ocratato; 2nd May 2018 at 06:01 AM.

I have been getting some good feedback from several members of my local Linux user group.
    In addition I have been doing some more testing while updating the user guide.
    As a result I have redone the way Lua scripts are handled in the test harness. It will be possible to run without Lua or with either of its two common versions (5.1 or 5.3).

So now I have 3 Lua and 2 Qt options for the configure script.

My usual process for the final tests of a release is to first go through each of the 14 subprojects and do a configure, make, make check and make install in the development environment. This just uses Lua 5.1 and Qt4. Changing these things in Eclipse is probably possible, but I don't trust it to not get thoroughly confused.

Once each subproject passes its tests, I move on to the "top" project which pulls all the subprojects together. Another configure, make, make check and make install. If this works OK then its make distcheck which does a test build (yes, another configure, make, make check) before creating a tar file for distribution.

I then copy that tar file to a separate test area and do yet another configure, make, make check, make install to check that what is distributed will work. It is in this environment that I check alternate configure options.

So now that last step will involve 6 trials - time for a script !
    Sadly I cannot just set it going and go and read some web sites, or something. The GUI tests involve showing the GUI in the foreground and grabbing the mouse. This sort of makes any other use of the machine problematic.

Release vici-0.10.695 Published

A minor update that fixes a bug or two and revamps the way Lua is used.

Time to start planning the next release.

From the user's perspective the next release will allow scripts to be installed into their menus so they can be run like any other application. It will (I hope) also have a means of scheduling a script to run once or regularly.

I also intend to modify the file format for the scripts. Presently it is just an XML file. I will put the XML into a container within the file and add a header. This will also allow the scripts to have the usual #! first line, which will mean the scripts will be able to be marked as executable. The header will allow me to optionally include a crypto signature so that VICI can be set up to only work with trusted scripts. It might also be possible to encrypt the XML for an even more secure script. The aim here to make it hard to just download some arbitrary script from some dubious source and run it without doing any checking to see if its about to install malware or something.

The third strand of development will be to add a lot more testing. I need to set up full tests for vici and vici-editor that run them through their paces and verify that the internal values are as expected. VICI programs have the ability to load plug-in libraries when they start up that are automatically executed. These plug-ins will contain the test harness for running the GUI actions and checking the internal state. The aim here is to provide a thorough test of the programs when they are used in my test lab (see other thread).

Release vici-0.10.714 Published

This is another release which leaves the functionality unchanged, but makes some changes to the building and testing.

It actually corresponds to SVN r713 but the 13 might discourage a few potential users.
    At 13:00 on 13th of May I checked my SourceForge page to discover that there had been 13 downloads this week, the last update was 13 hours ago to version 713.

From here I intend to work on the testing so version 0.10 will remain the current version for a while. There may be updates but they will be just more tests (and minor bug fixes if the testing shows up any problems).

(vici-0.10.726 published on May 18)
    (vici-0.10.730 published on May 25)
    Last edited by ocratato; 25th May 2018 at 08:37 AM.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9