Dual Boot Win8.1 + Fedora 20 UEFI
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dual Boot Win8.1 + Fedora 20 UEFI

Hi guys, I have a question from the instalation of Fedora on UEFI motherboard.

I have no idea if fedora supports dual boot with Windows 8.1, the Windows has installed in my hard drive, I need install fedora with UEFI on disk but I have fear of problems.

Can help me?

Re: Dual Boot Win8.1 + Fedora 20 UEFI

0) Make Recovery Media (3x DvD) from and for your Windows Installation
    1) Let secure boot active
    2) Install fedora
    2.1) During manual setup, set /dev/sda2 (efi-partition) to be the mountpoint /boot/efi.. but DO NOT format it!!!

There are several threads in the forum stating explanations and solutions.
    EFI Cheatsheet :: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=298546
    Video Handler Script (VHS) (mass re-encode videos, screenrecorder, console music/webradio player, ...) :: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=299182
    Windows 8+ & Fedora 20+ Dualboot :: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=298161

IIUC, There are no guarantees that /dev/sda2 is the EFI system partition, typically it is, but that's not a rule AFAIK.

Hi guys, thanks for reply.

This options is compatible with a dual boot + Windows 8?

Just like Samir said, as long you use the efi-partition (which in MY case was /dev/sda2 - but might be diffrent on your system) and set it to be mounted as /boot/efi (in the installer) - yes.
    However, that counts for Fedora.. dunno about how other Linux' handle uefi installations.
    EFI Cheatsheet :: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=298546
    Video Handler Script (VHS) (mass re-encode videos, screenrecorder, console music/webradio player, ...) :: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=299182
    Windows 8+ & Fedora 20+ Dualboot :: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=298161

I did it on my new HP laptop, and it works nicely.
    1. go into windows and, shrink the Windows partition to whatever size you like.
    2. boot Fedora 20 live and let it automatically partition the free space you created in Windows 8
    3. That's it, it will choose the EFI partition that windows uses automatically and place the fedora boot files there.

It will create two fedora partitions, / which will likely be an LVM partition which includes the swap, and a /boot partition.
    You can leave UEFI, secure boot etc all enabled with no problems.

Hello everyone, I have just one more question, so to remedy this doubt will start formatting (I'm apprehensive because several times already formatted systems).

As people are saying, I need to scale a space of Windows to get Fedora, but on my Windows installation has left a space of 300GB when it was available to install Fedora or any other distribution, ie, this space does not belong to Windows. Can I use it for the usually correct fedora installation? Or am I forced to use the Windows partition for some reason?

I am very grateful for clarification of all, the Linux community is truly amazing. Sorry for any dumb questions or inconvenience caused.

You can use any free space available on your hard drive. We were just assuming the windows install used the entire hard drive.

Thank bchannell, thanks to all.

I really had difficulties and doubts about the EFI technology, but you really are perfect, attentive and a real community spirit and essence of Linux.

Were excellent help, wish all the best to everyone and thank you very much indeed.

Hi dudes,

Well, I try install the Fedora 20 with Windows 8.1 but as expected, I ended up having problems to boot Windows by listing the grub. The following message is displayed:

error: file '/ EFI / Microsoft / Boot / Bootmgfw.efi' not found
    Press any key to continue ...

I searched for information on how to solve, but none successfully. Any idea how I can fix this? I can make the switch from boot order by pressing F12 and choosing between Fedora and Windows options in the setup, but this is a bit inconvenient.

What's the output of these command executed as root:
    Code:
    parted -l
    ls /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
    cat /etc/fstab

How will an installation on two separate disks pan out?
    sda has UEFI Fedora 20.
    sdb will host Windows 8 UEFI.

I don't think i should worry about anything, but just to be sure.
    GRUB is chailloaded after the UEFI boot manager, so Windows wouldn't affect it when they are installed on a different HDD, isn't it?

on my HP laptop, if I boot up and don't do anything, the system boots the Operating System Manager, which goes directly to Windows 8, but if I hit F9 during boot, I can select from a list of boot options, among which is OSM and Fedora. If I boot F20, then grub2 comes up and I can boot F20 or W8 from it. I haven't done the research to make grub2 the default boot loader from the start, but I'll get to it. I really almost never reboot my computer, so I just boot F20 and use it for days and days, so it's no big hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by meidei
    How will an installation on two separate disks pan out?
    sda has UEFI Fedora 20.
    sdb will host Windows 8 UEFI.

I don't think i should worry about anything, but just to be sure.
    GRUB is chailloaded after the UEFI boot manager, so Windows wouldn't affect it when they are installed on a different HDD, isn't it?
    In UEFI systems an OS install its boot loader on an ESP (EFI system partition), so typically there's no fear of one OS overwriting another OS boot loader whether they're installed on the same HDD or different HDDs since multiple OS's can share/use a single ESP, usually without problems.

So if you both sda and sdb have their respective ESP, that should work; also if only one of them has an ESP and both OS's share it, that should work too.

Usually one would make Fedora the default/first boot option since GRUB2 can easily add an entry to boot the other OS. Or you can use your BIOS/firmware to select the OS you want at boot.

Hi all I recently purchased an HP laptop pre-installed with Windows 8.1 . This was to replace my old HP Pavilion which was running a dual boot (Vista and Fedora 18) and unfortunately died beyond repairs. I have been using that system mainly under Fedora so to access my files and backups require a Linux system.
    My attempts to setup a Dual boot on the new laptop have come up with the following problem :

- The Fedora Live USB creator fails to see the USB drive with an 8GB FAT32 formatted stick !

- So I downloaded the Fedora Live Desktop iso and created an ISO DVD and modified the BIOS disabling 'Secure Boot' and enabled 'Legacy Boot' with CD/DVD drive for the boot process. At startup I can see the initial installation menu and I can start the installation. The screen goes blank and I can hear the DVD drive being accessed for a minute or two before it all stops and nothing more.

PS.Before starting the above operation I had shrunk the C drive and created a 300GB unallocated space.

Sorry about the long message, any advice will be much appreciated as a desperately need access to a Linux system.

Cheers.

Forooz.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast