FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation No fglrx yet for F20???

Hi,

After multiple problems trying to update from f19 to f20 via fedup, i have decided to do a clean install with my backed up data.

Everything seems good only, the graphic driver is jumpy and the image weird and i'm trying to install the akmod-catalyst driver as i had for f19 but there are no packages available.... and i have installed rpmfusion free-nonfree repos of course.

How is that possible? i can't believe there's nothing i could do to use my graphic card, and quite frankly i don't wanna do an extra install to get back to 19, any suggestions appreciated...

leigh123linux Guest

Re: No fglrx yet for F20?

Quote Originally Posted by Vareg
    Hi,

After multiple problems trying to update from f19 to f20 via fedup, i have decided to do a clean install with my backed up data.

Everything seems good only, the graphic driver is jumpy and the image weird and i'm trying to install the akmod-catalyst driver as i had for f19 but there are no packages available.... and i have install rpmfusion free-nonfree repos of course.

How is that possible?
    i can't believe there's nothing i could do to use my graphic card, and quite frankly i don't wanna do an extra install to get back to 19, any suggestions appreciated...
    I orphaned catalyst for F20.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=295881

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: No fglrx yet for F20???

Does that mean i can just either do a new install to go back to 19 after so many problems OR throw my computer to the trash because the graphic card is not generic?

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 PM ----------

Fedora is about the only distribution that supports amd64 in an effective way, so do you realize, with so many people buying hp laptops with a radeon card, do you realize how many people it puts in trouble and basically i might as well burn windows 8 right now since no other linux will fit?

This is very weird right now

leigh123linux Guest

Does that mean i can just either do a new install to go back to 19 after so many problems OR throw my computer to the trash because the graphic card is not generic?

F19 catalyst will only get minimal maintenance till it goes EOL.

Fedora is about the only distribution that supports amd64 in an effective way, so do you realize, with so many people buying hp laptops with a radeon card, do you realize how many people it puts in trouble and basically i might as well burn windows 8 right now since no other linux will fit?

This is very weird right now
    This isn't my problem as I don't have any ATI hardware to test the packages that I build for rpmfusion.
    This would change if HP or anyone else gave me the hardware (free)!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i can understand that, but how sordid is all this...best of all, there would be thousands and thousands like me, if anybody cares.

One thing though, i hope somebody will make it clear right on Fedora's site index page, not to install fedora 20 or newer if graphic card is a Radeon one, that's the least you guys could do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and also, why didn't someone post a sticky or some saying 'Anyone with catalyst driver DO NOT UPGRADE' ?

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

i've lost two days only to file a bug, end up making a clean f20 install and all to find out i have to reinstall the system i had in the first place...Fedora's gonna loose a lot of people on this one. Had to be said.

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

the only thing i'm gonna say, thank god i did a back up, otherwise, i don't know what i'm gonna do to make my trust in fedora survive. life goes on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fedora 20 - Kernel 3.11.10-301 - KDE 4.11.3 - Catalyst 13.12

Hi everyone
    I installed the Catalyst 13.12 from amd.com and replace its files with the one in https://github.com/kolasa/fglrx-13.251 and it worked with no problem till now. (I use KDE on Fedora 20 with kernel 3.11.10-301)

1- Download the driver
    2- Execute it
    3- After reaching the first dialog of the installer overwrite files extracted from the installer "../install/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/" with the files from the above link.
    4- Continue the installer
    5- Reboot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While the free Radeon driver in F20 is working better than ever on my AMD A4-4300M APU with Radeon HD 7420G graphics, it doesn't run as well as the Catalyst driver did.

I hope somebody picks up maintenance of the Catalyst driver in RPM Fusion since there are a whole lot of AMD laptops out there (and not so many running Nvidia, which is more common on desktops where you can put in any graphics card you wish).

I have installed Catalyst directly from AMD in the past (F14 era), and I ended up bricking the system, so I'm not too crazy about going that route.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As unhappy as I am at the fact that nobody has chimed in on this thread since last month, I am very happy that I now have successfully installed the Catalyst 13.11 beta in Fedora 20 without needing to modify the script.

The problem with this situation is that almost all guides on how to install Catalyst in Fedora pretty much say "add the RPM Fusion repository and install akmod-catalyst." Now that we don't have the package in RPM Fusion, there is a lack of guides on exactly which dependencies are required for a successful installation of Catalyst with AMD's script.

In my case, I was missing kernel-devel. Once I installed that package from Fedora, I was able to complete my Catalyst installation.

Otherwise, I couldn't tell you all the dependencies required to make the installation work. I guess I had everything else.
    Last edited by stevenhr; 14th January 2014 at 06:05 AM.

Super Jamie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by leigh123linux
    This isn't my problem as I don't have any ATI hardware to test the packages that I build for rpmfusion.
    This would change if HP or anyone else gave me the hardware (free)!
    Are you serious about this? I'd be happy to start a community funding effort to buy you some hardware.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anybody gotten any further finding an alternative?

I have a similar problem which I believe is related to my graphics card
    being a ati radeon graphics card, I just don't get any further than the
    fedora logo in the middle of the screen at startup

PheonixFire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PheonixFire
    Has anybody gotten any further finding an alternative?

I have a similar problem which I believe is related to my graphics card
    being a ati radeon graphics card, I just don't get any further than the
    fedora logo in the middle of the screen at startup

PheonixFire
    Look no further, it IS because you have a Radeon card like I have too. After countless hours lost only to find out support for the kmod-catalyst driver was being abandonned in F20(for lack of sponsored hardware)I have decided to reinstall F19, luckily enough I had done a file backup before and well, guess what, I am truly happy truly with that every morning before I commute, I turn my comp on, and it works .
    info deleted per Forum rules. Signatures linked to non-authorized sites will be deleted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay I fixed my problem by editing Xorg.conf.

@leigh123linux: where would I find the catalyst source so I can attempt to compile it
    for fedora 20?

any help is appreciated
    PheonixFire

leigh123linux Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PheonixFire
    Okay I fixed my problem by editing Xorg.conf.

@leigh123linux: where would I find the catalyst source so I can attempt to compile it
    for fedora 20?

any help is appreciated
    PheonixFire

Code:
    $ yumdownloader --source --releasever 19 --urls catalyst-kmod xorg-x11-drv-catalyst
    Loaded plugins: langpacks, refresh-packagekit, remove-with-leaves
    Enabling updates-source repository
    Enabling rpmfusion-nonfree-updates-source repository
    Enabling rpmfusion-nonfree-source repository
    Enabling rpmfusion-free-updates-source repository
    Enabling fedora-source repository
    Enabling rpmfusion-free-source repository
    http://mirrors.coreix.net/rpmfusion/nonfree/fedora/updates/19/SRPMS/catalyst-kmod-13.9-2.fc19.12.src.rpm
    http://mirrors.coreix.net/rpmfusion/nonfree/fedora/updates/19/SRPMS/xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-13.9-1.fc19.src.rpm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

leigh123linux thanks for the directions to the source.
    Could you give me some advice on how to get around the following, It's the
    result I get using 'sudo rpmbuild --rebuild xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-13.9-1.fc19.src.rpm'

Code:
    error: xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-13.9-1.fc19.src.rpm cannot be installed

I've never actually built from a src.rpm before, only tar.gz 's

any help is appreciated
    PheonixFire

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast