Fedora 20 AMD catalyst driver - Page 2
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Re: Fedora 20 AMD catalyst driver

You know a $35 nvidea card would solve that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by beaker_
    Not in my case. I use the my radeon to pilot 3 screens: a 30' dell and two 20' viewsonic on the side. So I need a high end card and Catalys to use the three digital outputs of the card. And now that I updated to Fedora 20 I have just two screens working, and prettly badly. Wonderful. I am pretty read to recompile things from scratch but since fedora has included in the rpms of gnome-shell the wayland patch I'm not able to do it. Well

Yeah, the Catalyst driver issue is a bummer. I normally just use AMD's installer, because OpenGL never worked properly for me with the rpmfusion packages. Of course that comes with the hassle of always having to uninstall/reinstall manually during kernel updates and such, but it works.

Now the AMD drivers don't work anymore though, because of this Wayland support issue, and knowing AMD, it'll probably take a long while before they do anything about it, so for Fedora it'll be a while before you can use Catalyst, I think.

I made the mistake of buying a $35 ati card before reading about their linux support..
    Fedora 26 x86_64 on Vertex IV SSD || Foxconn A7GM-S 2.0 || AMD Phenom II X6 1045T || Radeon R7 240 graphics || 8 GB DDR2-800 || Emachines T5452 carcass
    Fedora 26 x84_64 on 500GB Seagate Barracuda
    Fedora 18 x84_64 on 500GB Seagate Barracuda
    Windows Vista on 320GB Western Digital Caviar SE

Has anyone tried using AMD's installer? I did and I got a screen telling me that Gnome couldn't start (I forgot the exact message) with a logout button. Clicking that gave a blank screen.

Is there anything I should do after running the installer? There were some steps we had to follow while using RPMFusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Louisda16th
    Has anyone tried using AMD's installer? I did and I got a screen telling me that Gnome couldn't start (I forgot the exact message) with a logout button. Clicking that gave a blank screen.

Is there anything I should do after running the installer? There were some steps we had to follow while using RPMFusion.
    Catalyst doesn't work on Fedora 20, the easiest (and sad) thing you can do is switch back to Fedora 19.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9001 mediante Tapatalk

Actually, the it is possible to recompile the gnome-shell without wayland support. See: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=712340#c6

Now it remains tol try it with the new catalyst.

Har Har.

Actually hell, you're right. It would solve the problem, but I don't really have that option, I just dropped about $170 about 3 months ago on the AMD card that I'm using, and since I'm also a Windows user I dont have a choice in that matter, I can't swap out my card each time I boot into Fedora as I use it about as much as I use Windows 7. That idea is simply insane. It would work, but thats one hell of a kludge.

Seriously though, this is a major PITA. And if you were using catalyst and upgraded to fc20 from fc19 using fedup 0.8, check
    Code:
    fglrxinfo
    You don't have to elevate to root to use it, but I guess you could su or sudo it if you want. You are probably using the fc19 Catalyst driver, and the problem here is that with no kernel mod, as soon as the kernel updates, X and the driver are not going to work, right? And Its not capable of falling back to the FOSS driver by default right?

So what the should we do? Should we (and additionally, can we) switch back to the FOSS radeon drivers? This is extremely important to me as AMD is glacial in fixing things, and ignoring Kernel updates is not an option for me, I have to be fully patched at all times for compliance with policy where I work. Which sucks alot of times, but there's never been a threat to my system working before this unless I screwed something up myself, like not rebuilding the kernel after installing the proprietary driver which I did the first three times I tried to use it when I first started using Fedora. Noob mistakes, we all made them at first, I'm sure.

I really don't want to lose my system, but I'm already backing up my files to my Windows drive and my SAN just in case I have to reinstall. I love Fedora, its the Distro I support fully, since Red Hat actually contributes toward development of Linux as opposed to others *cough*canonical*cough* but this is really frustrating for me. I'm an intermediate level user so its probably even more frustrating because I still don't know enough to be able to do anything about it but complain, and complaining isnt constructive. I am not a Jedi yet basically .

But seriously, the situation with Wayland not playing nice with Gnome (which doesn't affect me as I use KDE, but its still something that needs to be fixed), no package manager maintaining the proprietary driver and mod, and AMD being AMD have all combined for a perfect crapstorm. I hope someone smarter than I am does something.

Quote Originally Posted by castagna
    Actually, the it is possible to recompile the gnome-shell without wayland support. See: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=712340#c6

Now it remains tol try it with the new catalyst.

So does that mean other desktop environments/managers work fine with catalyst? I'm willing to temporarily switch to XFCE or Cinnamon till AMD releases a driver with wayland support.

I don't need powerful graphics right now so the open source driver is fine. The problem is, for some reason my CPU fan runs extra fast and makes a lot of noise when I use the open source driver and that is annoying. I can't even keep my computer on overnight and sleep. :-/

I dont know about the other DEs, like Xfce, LXDE, Cinnamon, MATE and the more "esoteric" DEs like ratpoison and the like, but KDE or Plasma or whatever you want to call it (its still just KDE to me and has been since I started using it in 2003) is working with Catalyst on Fedora 20. Otherwise I'd be posting from BSD or Windows since I'm simply not using Linux or BSD without KDE.

Also, I don't have Wayland enabled so I don't know if KDE would work with it, but if you've paid any attention to the Wayland v. Mir "debate" on LWN, Distrowatch or Phoronix, then you probably already know one of the big sticking points (probably the biggest) in the *buntu community against Mir is that KDE and Kubuntu won't support Mir being ramrodded down their throats as opposed to Wayland, so I suppose it would work for you.

I get it working thanks to Dylan Smith and Giuseppe Castagna (are you the same castagna from XDA forums?). Here are the rebuilt packages for anyone that cannot compile them:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/3mhw1g2smog2r/Fedora20

Here are the rebuilt packages for anyone that cannot compile them:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/3mhw1g2smog2r/Fedora20
    Thanks a lot. Just, have you tried to use it with the last beta catalyst drivers you can get by
    Code:
    wget --referer='http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Linux+x86' http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/amd-catalyst-13.12-linux-x86.x86_64.zip
    I cannot test it since the workstation with the radeon is in my office: I compile remotely but I do not date to start xorg so I cannot test it.

P.S. just for Maxtorete
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxtorete
    I get it working thanks to Dylan Smith and Giuseppe Castagna (are you the same castagna from XDA forums?).
    Well ... yes. I'm confused. I did not expect somebody to do that match. Acutally I am the same castagna as in many other places (I started using Internet when it was still called Arpanet, and the first version of Linux I used was ... the first version of Linux ... yes I'm closer to 50 than 40). From a fedora user I would have expected a question such as if I am the same castagna as the one of CDuce programming language (if you are curious try yum info cduce) or some other packages. In any case I am THIS Castagna

Quote Originally Posted by castagna
    Thanks a lot. Just, have you tried to use it with the last beta catalyst drivers you can get by
    Code:
    wget --referer='http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Linux+x86' http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/amd-catalyst-13.12-linux-x86.x86_64.zip
    I cannot test it since the workstation with the radeon is in my office: I compile remotely but I do not date to start xorg so I cannot test it.

P.S. just for Maxtorete

Well ... yes. I'm confused. I did not expect somebody to do that match. Acutally I am the same castagna as in many other places (I started using Internet when it was still called Arpanet, and the first version of Linux I used was ... the first version of Linux ... yes I'm closer to 50 than 40). From a fedora user I would have expected a question such as if I am the same castagna as the one of CDuce programming language (if you are curious try yum info cduce) or some other packages. In any case I am THIS Castagna
    Catalyst 13.12 doesn't work, it gives a compilation error and only shows Gnome broken session screen on reboot:

Code:
    Supported adapter detected.
    Detected a previous installation, /usr/share/ati/amd-uninstall.sh
    Dryrun uninstall succeeded continuing with installation.
    Check if system has the tools required for installation.
    Uninstalling any previously installed drivers.
    Forcing uninstall of AMD Catalyst(TM) Proprietary Driver.
    No integrity verification is done.
    restore of system environment completed
    Uninstall fglrx driver complete.
    For detailed log of uninstall, please see /etc/ati/fglrx-uninstall.log
    System must be rebooted to avoid system instability and potential data loss.
    /usr/share/ati/amd-uninstall.sh completed with 0
    [Message] Kernel Module : Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
    [Message] Kernel Module : Precompiled kernel module version mismatched.
    [Message] Kernel Module : Found kernel module build environment, generating kernel module now.
    AMD kernel module generator version 2.1
    doing Makefile based build for kernel 2.6.x and higher
    rm -rf *.c *.h *.o *.ko *.a .??* *.symvers
    make -C /lib/modules/3.12.5-302.fc20.x86_64/build SUBDIRS=/usr/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x modules
    make[1]: se ingresa al directorio `/usr/src/kernels/3.12.5-302.fc20.x86_64'
      CC [M]  /usr/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
      CC [M]  /usr/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.o
    /usr/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.c: En la función ‘KCL_ACPI_ParseTable’:
    /usr/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.c:999:5: aviso: el paso del argumento 1 de ‘(acpi_status (*)(u32,  void *, void *))handler’ crea un entero desde un puntero sin una conversión [activado por defecto]
         ((acpi_table_handler)handler)(hdr);
         ^
    /usr/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.c:999:5: nota: se esperaba ‘u32’ pero el argumento es de tipo ‘struct acpi_table_header *’
    /usr/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.c:999:5: error: faltan argumentos para la función ‘(acpi_status (*)(u32,  void *, void *))handler’
    make[2]: *** [/usr/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/kcl_acpi.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/usr/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x] Error 2
    make[1]: se sale del directorio `/usr/src/kernels/3.12.5-302.fc20.x86_64'
    make: *** [kmod_build] Error 2
    build failed with return value 2
    [Error] Kernel Module : Failed to compile kernel module - please consult readme.
    [Reboot] Kernel Module : dracut

I get Catalyst 13.12 working replacing this line at /common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/kcl_acpi.c:

((acpi_table_handler)handler)(hdr);

With this one:

((acpi_tbl_table_handler)handler)(hdr);

Hello,

I have built an RPM for catalyst 13.11 beta. Please use at your own risk as mileage may vary! E.g. gnome-shell is known not to work, along with GDM. KDM, however, along with the KDE SC worked for me on Fedora 20.'

64-bit:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B97...it?usp=sharing

32-bit (built on a 64-bit machine):
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B97...it?usp=sharing

I hope that this helps.

-nixuser1980

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast