FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Question Can't Upgrade Fedora 19 to 20

Hi, this is my first post.

For weeks I have been looking forward to the new release of Fedora 20. Today, I tried to upgrade from Fedora 19 to Fedora 20 ,and I did not have good results.

To start the upgrade, I typed this command using su to gain root access:

fedup --network 20 --debuglog fedupdebug.log

Everything seems to go normally until it asks me to reboot. Upon rebooting, I select System Upgrade from the GRUB menu. The system displays a flashing Fedora logo for about three minutes and then it reboots again. After rebooting the second time, the GRUB displays no option to boot Fedora 20. I boot the 19 kernel and nothing has changed at all.

I have tried this method four times on two computers with the same outcome.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached the fedup log file so you guys can read it. I had to compress it so it would upload.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Can't Upgrade Fedora 19 to 20

download these two files if you are trying to upgrade using YUM

fedora-release-20-1.noarch.rpm
    fedora-release-notes-20-0.5.noarch.rpm

Install them using

rpm -Uvh fedora-release-20-1.noarch.rpm fedora-release-notes-20-0.5.noarch.rpm

After installation press: ctrl+alt+f2

this will ask you to login in root window.

login now with: usr name and password.

type: init 3

this will switch screen to non gui or X

if it ask you again login and pass word, press ctrl+alt +f2

you are back into your login shell.

now type: yum upgrade yum

this will update yum.

Before starting upgrade make sure if you are using rpmfusion free and nonfree rpms then install

rprpmfusion-free-release-20-1 from http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/...0-1.noarch.rpm

and nonfree

rpmfusion-nonfree-release-20-1.noarch from http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfr...0-1.noarch.rpm

once installed type:

yum upgrade

this will test all required packeges and finally, if everything is clean then type Y

This will start upgrade process to F20. It will take almost an hour which depends on the number of packages installed in your computer.

Please note: Libreoffice may a culprit here, I am not sure but quite possible. If it prints error about libreoffice then remove it and start upgrade using yum as

yum uprade

goodluck.

---------- Post added at 02:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 AM ----------

Upgrade from f19 to F20 is very clean except few messages... Otherwise there is no major difference between two releases. Both are smooth and working fine...

goodluck guys.

Ohh yeah, after successful upgrade don't forget to reboot your system. goodluck

A couple of issues there...

1: That process will not upgrade using yum. It would update packages for the currently running release, but it wont upgrade to a different release.

2: You don't need to install the repo packages to upgrade using yum. You just need to import the F20 gpg key.

3: You don't need to install the rpmfusion repos packages at all. yum will upgrade those for you during the update.

yum upgrade from a system currently running fedora 19, will only look in the fedora 19 repos. It doesn't matter what version repo packages you have installed. it uses a variable for release version, that it gets from the currently running system unless you over-ride it.

Basically this are the steps..

import the F20 key..

Code:
    rpm --import https://fedoraproject.org/static/246110C1.txt
    update yum

Code:
    yum update yum
    I always update from a non-graphical system.. so

Code:
    init 3
    Best to clear out the yum cache

Code:
    yum clean all
    Do the upgrade

Code:
    yum --releasever=20 distro-sync
    Just letting you know..

yum upgrade works nearly identical to yum update. It does NOT do version upgrades unless you specifically tell it to.

Good work, but installing fedora-release-20-1.noarch.rpm fedora-release-notes-20-0.5.noarch.rpm will also put you in fedora 20 release. It worked for me.

And doing it that way will leave you with several Fedora 19 packages, too..

For example, Firefox has been updated to version 26 in Fedora 19, but it's still at version 25 in Fedora 20. yum upgrade would leave the F19 package since it's a higher version than the F20 package, or even packages that have the same version won't get updated.

distro-sync takes care of those cases for you. it will downgrade packages, and update ones with the same version.

true but for those upgrade is a problem either will work. after upgrade they can type

yum --releasever=20 distro-sync
    just a shortcut.

for fedup, try updating to 0.8 and try again. it's helped several people today.
    Adam Williamson | awilliam AT redhat DOT com
    Fedora QA Community Monkey
    IRC: adamw | Twitter: AdamW_Fedora | identi.ca: adamwfedora
    http://www.happyassassin.net

I have three computers running Fedora. They do FAH for Stanford University. Two of them ran Fedup very well. One could not. On that computer I used the info in post #5 of this thread from DBelton and it worked although with a few hangups not related to his instructions. Var had insufficient space and I had to increase it by 1.5GB. The only residual issues are the possibilities of Fedup files remaining on the computer and at boot I still get the option of doing the Fedup upgrade. I have noticed the fedup --resetbootloader and fedup --clean options, but am somewhat concerned that since I deleted some of the fedup files before I did the yum --releasever=20 update if the --clean option is likely to work.

I think I am going to use yum and distro-sync next time on all of my Fedora units. Thanks DBelton.

fedup --clean worked perfectly!!
    Last edited by stanmc; 21st December 2013 at 10:27 PM.
    Linux Registered User #362558/ Three computers with AMD CPUs. One six core Phenom II 1090T and two eight core FX8350s