<---- template headericclude ----->
Use fedup 0.8 to upgrade to Fedora 20! (FedUp F19->F20 fails after reboot) - Page 4
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Re: Use fedup 0.8 to upgrade to Fedora 20! (FedUp F19->F20 fails after reboot)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamW
    It's known that upgrade fails if you have separate /var partition. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Commo...-var-partition
    Thanks AdamW! This solved the problem for me!
    (Used fedup 0.8 to get from 19 to 20. fedup client ran just
    fine, but upon reboot immediatly fall back into 19)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Use fedup 0.8 to upgrade to Fedora 20! (FedUp F19->F20 fails after reboot)

Hello

I tried to upgrade from FC19 to FC20 using this procedure
    yum -y update
    fedup-cli --network 20

After reboot and selecting System Upgrade

I get this error message and the system stops here:

systemd[1]: Failed to initialize SELinux context ..."
    systemd-cgroup-agents[533] failed to get d-bus connection: failed to connect to socket /org/freedesktop/systemd1/private: connection refused

What's wrong???
    I've already spent hours trying to fix this. If I add selinux=0 enforcing=0 to the boot line, the system boots FC19.

Kind regards

Werner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamW
    It's known that upgrade fails if you have separate /var partition. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Commo...-var-partition
    Glad I found this thread before I started.
    This seems a strange failure to me. I may be a dinosaur, but I still put stuff on separate partitions. Perhaps it's cos I'm using old machines with limited disk, but this has saved me in the past - if a partition fills, you are not totally screwed.
    I would have expected the process to be able to cope with this - I'm sure it's not that uncommon even in this age of massive amounts of disk.

Just about to try. Will report any failures!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nzpling

Just about to try. Will report any failures!
    Happy to report that the upgrade went flawlessly (After moving the directories from /var to the root partition). Good work you guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nzpling
    Happy to report that the upgrade went flawlessly (After moving the directories from /var to the root partition). Good work you guys.
    Have now also upgraded other laptop -Lenova, intel 64bit, UEFI, dual boot w/ Win8, separate /var partition.
    Also went flawlessly.
    Easiest upgrade of any OS I've ever done.
    Brilliant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was wondering, has anything been done so far to inform Radeon users that they had better not try upgrading to F20 in the official doc?
    Also, is support 'again' for Catalyst a possibilty that's being looked at for the soon to come F21?
    Last edited by Vareg; 22nd January 2014 at 12:14 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wernermaes
    Hello

I tried to upgrade from FC19 to FC20 using this procedure
    yum -y update
    fedup-cli --network 20

After reboot and selecting System Upgrade

I get this error message and the system stops here:

systemd[1]: Failed to initialize SELinux context ..."
    systemd-cgroup-agents[533] failed to get d-bus connection: failed to connect to socket /org/freedesktop/systemd1/private: connection refused

What's wrong???
    I've already spent hours trying to fix this. If I add selinux=0 enforcing=0 to the boot line, the system boots FC19.

Kind regards

Werner
    There's been a bug recently that selinux-policy-targeted was faulty and didn't let yum run scripts from /tmp. I just ran into it while updating packages. Could it be the cause of your problem?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have to say, after using the "fedup" it is appropriately named. I am fed up with it. My advice, do not bother with it. It doesn't work. Your better off having your whole installation aka desktop installed on a separate partition that fedora never touchs, having the OS installed on a primary partition of its own, and after everything actually runs, then mounting your desktop onto home directory via fstab.

Several issues. 1. Fedup doesn't work. It has never worked from the first time i saw it. Seriously guys, how freaking hard is it to compile a list of installed applications, compare it to the next version of the application and download those versions after a os install. Really?
    I sat down after fedup failed miserably and wrote a script to do that very thing in about 45 min.
    Secondly, this version 20 still HAS THE SAME EXACT BUG in its video drivers as 18's version that was a update introduced. IT fubars the video requiring a reboot if your using nvidia hardware. Comeon put it back the way it was before you guys fubar'd the video drivers OR give us the option to install the Nvidia drivers from installation. It can't be that hard to do.
    Still to this day, you guys continue to act like windoze code regurgitators and practice the same business model of release/fix/if not fixed,release another version that doesn't work. Really? Seriously? What the heck happened to the quality programmers that Unix used to have? Good lord folks we Unix guys are supposed to be the elite of the whole industry. Stop trying to emulate microsloth. They suck.

I've used fedora for around 10 years i guess, and have watched a quality product go to the gutter. Yes i can do my own programming and do so. But i do expect other programmers to care about what they put out. Its not like i am using the latest state of the art hardware, its at least 3 years old and you guys should have all the drivers working for it by now.

One more gripe. Why is it that you guys feel the need to change the desktop every version? Why remove the menu for application categorziation and dump it all into two selections, frequently used and all. Makes for a disaster to find anything you want to use unless you put it into your task bar on the side.

I'm to the point now i am going back to solaris on my system. At least they release working code.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This week I used fedup for the first time ever on two computers, updating them from F18 to F20. Both updates went without a hitch.

One computer had Openbox, proprietary Nvidia drivers, RMP Fusion enabled, a total of 2950 packages. The other LXDE, ATI with open source drivers, just the Fedora repos, a total of 1980 packages. SELinux was enabled in both.

Congratulations and thanks to the fedup developers!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found fedup to be quite a solid tool. Yesterday I decided to see what fedup could do. The worst that could happen would be I would lose some time. ( since a scratch install is my norm )

My Bookshelf server provides various network services to my home lan. The services include NTP time(chrony), NFS, FTP(vsftp), HTTP(apache), DNS & DHCP (dnsmasq), plus SSH keys to allow secure client ssh logins. The video is delivered via the integrated HD4000 provided by the i3-3225 processor. No desktop graphics here just remote terminal access. I backed up all the configuration files and user data, but was not enthusiastic about the restore process ahead of me if I used my normal process.

I do maintain a separate /var partition previously reported as a fedup problem. This issue has been declared repaired as of fedup 0.8.0-4.

1. I did a "# yum update" to ensure all packages were current
    2. I rebooted the bookshelf server
    3. # fedup-cli --network 20 --debuglog /root/fedup-19to20.debug.log
    4. checked /root/fedup-19to20.debug.log for errors
    5. rebooted bookshelf server

The actual upgrade chugged away for ~ 1 hour, but required no additional interaction from me.

The only issue I encountered was that BIOSdevname decided to assign a different name in F20 than F19 ( I thought the whole point of this tool was to ensure consistent naming ). This caused dnsmasq to have an incorrect network interface name. A quick edit of the /etc/dnsmasq.conf and I was in business.

All services are fully operational with no additional issues after 24 hours. ( that statement activates the Murphy's law sub-clause "no claim of success shall go unpunished")

I +1 @Piscium and give the developers a very appropriate "well done"
    Last edited by Kobuck; 5th July 2014 at 04:54 PM. Reason: correct fedup version #
    Laptop: Toshiba / Intel B960 2.20Ghz x2/ 4GB/ 320GB HD/ Intel HD 2000/ fc39.x86_64
    Tower:GigaByte x570 / Ryzen 5900x 3.7Ghz x12/ 64GB/ 17.5TB HD/ Radeon RX 580/ fc39.x86_64
    Server:GigaByte B450M / Ryzen 5600G 4.4Ghz x6/ 16GB/ 24.5TB HD/ Vega 7 / fc39.x86_64
    Embedded: ASUS Tinkerboard / ARM RK3288 1.8 GHz x4/ 2GB / 32GB SD/ Mali-T764/ deb12.armhf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Re: Use fedup 0.8 to upgrade to Fedora 20! (FedUp F19->F20 fails after reboot)

Thank You. It works great.
    Cliff - vzd1s33v@yahoo.com;)[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today I decided to upgrade my F18 to F20. Downloaded fedup 0.8 and launched is. Everything went fine, rebooted, system upgrade started and after about 30min (@70% complete) the screen went black, and it looked like it crashed. After 4hours of waiting still the same. So what was left to do was to restart it, so I did. Now, when I have booted into kernel of F18 it looks like I got some strange hybrid of F18 and F20.

Code:
    [mrmodern@grapefruit ~]$ cat /etc/fedora-release
    Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)
    [mrmodern@grapefruit ~]$ uname -a
    Linux grapefruit 3.11.9-100.fc18.i686.PAE #1 SMP Wed Nov 20 22:02:57 UTC 2013 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    Tried rebuilding rpm and then using package-cleanup which gives a ton of duplicate packages, but it seems it does nothing. Yum update also fails, by giving a long list of duplicate packages.

Trying to rerun fedup gives:
    Code:
    [root@grapefruit ~]# fedup --network 20
    usage: fedup <SOURCE> [options]
    fedup: error: argument --network: invalid VERSION value: '20'
    Any ideas how to fix this mess up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello i just installed F20 and upgraded and updated it. I dont like the menu though, i was wondering how to switch to the gnome menu i think its called. The menu from F18 and below. Also I'm not too familiar with i. Please HELP! Thanks!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234