FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Use fedup 0.8 to upgrade to Fedora 20! (FedUp F19->F20 fails after reboot)

I'm trying to upgrade my F19 using FedUp. FedUp completes nicely, produces a looong log that as far as I can grep, doesn't contain any warnings or errors. One repo (flash) failed to update, but that shouldn't be a problem.
    After I reboot, GRUB correctly gives an option to upgrade, which I selected. Boot-related info runs on the screen for a few seconds. It looks a bit different from my normal boot sequence, so I guess all is well.

When the actual upgrade process should start, it reboots again. Now the upgrade entry in GRUB is gone, so it'll just boot to F19.

-I've tried this several times.
    -All the packages are in /system-upgrade which is a link to /var/lib/fedora-upgrade. This should be OK.
    -Mount point / has 11G of free space. There's no separate /usr or any other OS-related directory mounted on a separate partition. (except for /boot)
    -Mount point /boot has 592M of free space.
    -I tried "fedup-cli --network 20" and "fedup --network 20". Both ended up doing exactly the same process as far as I can tell.

Any good ideas about solving this? Upgrade from a DVD is an option, but I'd like to see this solved.

Re: FedUp F19->F20 fails after reboot

Just posted a thread myself with the exact same issue.

Count me in the club, the same thing happens to me.

With fedup, there are two options::

1) success
    2) fail! which sucks

I did it using yum, atleast using yum you know what is going with your system, how many errors are there, or which package you want to remove before clear upgrade. I did once fedup I think F16 to F17 becuase they changes dir structures to /usr/bin instead of /bin ... etc after that never used fedup though it is recommended. But yum worked in my case very well.

First update to fedup-0.8 using

yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update fedup

I just ran into the same problem as the OP and I am getting a little fed up with fedup (pun intended).

This is the third distribution that uses fedup and I have not been able to upgrade a single time without issues. It doesn't help any that all that is displayed on the "System Upgrade" boot up is the silly flashing Fedora logo rather than any meaningful information such as why the upgrade has failed.

anyone having fedup trouble, try this first: update to fedup 0.8 and try again. it's currently being moved from updates testing to updates. that has worked for several people today. not sure if it's the newer fedup or just the retry that helps, but give it a shot.
    Adam Williamson | awilliam AT redhat DOT com
    Fedora QA Community Monkey
    IRC: adamw | Twitter: AdamW_Fedora | identi.ca: adamwfedora
    http://www.happyassassin.net

Yes, fedup 0.8 works properly...and without the logo blocking progress messages...would have been nice if the updated version of fedup had been pushed to updates before Fedora 20 was released.

Well, we tested 0.7 prior to release and it worked; I wasn't expecting this. Up till this afternoon I thought it was just intermittent failures with 0.7, but I just got back home where I can test, and it sure seems like upgrading to 20 with 0.7 just doesn't work any more.

Not sure specifically why, but my current working theory is that fedup 0.7 won't work with the upgrade.img and kernel in the F20 repos that are built with fedup-dracut 0.8, and we missed that. Our bad, sorry!

I'm currently writing a common bugs note, but here's a couple of wrinkles: fedup 0.8 downloads files to a different location than 0.7. This means that if you try with 0.7 and then with 0.8 it'll needlessly redownload stuff, and then not clean up after itself properly when its done. To avoid this, you can do:

mv /var/lib/fedora-upgrade /var/lib/system-upgrade
    mv /var/tmp/fedora-upgrade /var/tmp/system-upgrade

after your failed fedup 0.7 run, before you run fedup 0.8. That should prevent 0.8 needlessly re-downloading stuff, and ensure you don't have useless stuff lying around after the upgrade.

If you already did the rinse cycle - try 0.7, fail, use 0.8, success - you may want to check if you have /var/lib/fedora-upgrade and /var/tmp/fedora-upgrade directories lying around. If you do, you probably want to wipe them, they're just wasting space.

Sorry again, folks!

Re: USE FEDUP 0.8 TO UPGRADE TO FEDORA 20! (FedUp F19->F20 fails after reboot)

Hi, Adam.

Unfortunately, I did go through the "rinse cycle" on my work computer so I did have to go through the download process twice. Fortunately, the second time I hit a much faster server (~20x faster) so the download wasn't too painful. Will have to clean it up when I get in in the morning.

Fortunately, on the other hand, I only used fedup 0.8 on my home computer and, I'm happy to say, it was a much smoother experience.

Thanks,
    Dan.

Yeah, sorry again about that If I'd known about this I'd have made sure we had it covered better for release day. My bad.

No worries, Adam. Snarky comments aside, your work is appreciated.

Thanks again,
    Dan.

what the hell do you mean, you don't appreciate my snarky comments?!

Re: Use fedup 0.8 to upgrade to Fedora 20! (FedUp F19->F20 fails after reboot)

Upgrading to fedup .8 worked for me. It is pretty amazing that the key element in the upgrading process was stuck in updates-testing when F20 was released. It was also good that I kept looking in this thread until the advice to update fedup from updates came through. Now I have a mostly complete F20 system without too much hassle.

As usual a bunch if F19 packages failed to update but that was relatively simple to fix manually. Based on past failures I reverted from Nvidia drivers to nouveau. I wasn't sure it was necessary but I didn't want to go through that circus this time around.

So, it was shakier than I would have wished but still it worked ok for me and I'm not kicking myself for being stupid not to wait a few weeks. That's progress in itself.

Thanks all for the hard work and helpful responses.

Don

Unhappy Re: Use fedup 0.8 to upgrade to Fedora 20! (FedUp F19->F20 fails after reboot)

Hi, all

I failed to upgrade Fedora 19 to Fedora 20 directly by sudo fedup --network 20. After reading this thread, I try these:

Code:
    sudo yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update fedup
    To avoid redownload packages:

Code:
    sudo mv /var/lib/fedora-upgrade /var/lib/system-upgrade
    sudo mv /var/tmp/fedora-upgrade /var/tmp/system-upgrade
    Finally,

Code:
    sudo fedup --network 20
    However, error still occurs:

Code:
    verify local files 100% [==================================================================================]
    warning: /var/tmp/system-upgrade/rpmfusion-nonfree/packages/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-20-1.noarch.rpm: Header V3 RSA/SHA256 Signature, key ID b5f29883: NOKEY
    Importing GPG key 0xB5F29883:
     Userid     : "RPM Fusion nonfree repository for Fedora (20) <rpmfusion-buildsys@lists.rpmfusion.org>"
     Fingerprint: a84d cf58 46cb 10b6 5c47 6c35 63c0 de8c b5f2 9883
     Package    : rpmfusion-nonfree-release-19-1.noarch (installed)
     From       : /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-rpmfusion-nonfree-fedora-20

Downloading failed: Didn't install any key
    Can you help me?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast