FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Smile Announcing the release of Fedora 20

Fedora 20 officially released

Download link -

http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora

Quote Originally Posted by FPL's announcement email
    Greetings!

We can say with great certainty the Fedora Project is pleased to announce the release of Fedora 20 ("Heisenbug"), which coincides with the 10th anniversary of the creation of the Fedora Project.

Download this leading-edge, free and open source operating system now:
    http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora

Detailed information about this release can be seen in the release notes:
    http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/...tes/index.html

*** Dedicated to Seth Vidal ***

On July 8, the Fedora Project lost Seth Vidal, a dedicated, tireless, and brilliant contributor. Seth was a lead developer of Yum and the Fedora update repository system. He worked to ensure that the technical and community infrastructure of Fedora worked well and consistently for users and contributors around the world. Seth touched the lives of hundreds of Fedora contributors directly and millions of others indirectly by improving the experience of using and updating Fedora.

The Fedora Project dedicates the Fedora 20 release to Seth and asks that you join us in remembering his generous spirit and incredible work that helped make Fedora what it is today. We miss you, Seth.

*** 10 Years of Fedora ***

The Fedora 20 release coincides with Fedora's tenth anniversary. The first Fedora release (then called Fedora Core 1) came out on November 6, 2003. The Fedora Project community has grown into an active and vibrant one that produces a new version of this leading-edge, free and open source operating system around every six months.

*** Desktop Environments and Spins ***

The Fedora Project strives to provide the best desktop experiences possible for users, from desktop environment to application selection. We also produce nearly a dozen spins tailor-made for desktop users, hardware design, gaming, musicians, artists, and early classroom environments.

Spins are available for download here: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/20/Spins

[ ... ]

Cheers,

-robyn
    https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipe...er/001282.html
    Last edited by nonamedotc; 17th December 2013 at 05:14 PM.
    Fedora 28 x86_64 XFCE - Sager | Intel Core i7 - 4810 MQ | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M | 16 GB RAM | 480 GB ADATA SSD |
    Fedora 28 x86_64 XFCE - Dell Precision M4800 | Intel Core i7 - 4900 MQ | NVIDIA Quadro K1100M | 16 GB RAM | 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD |

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).

Re: Announcing the release of Fedora 20

And, as promised, the F20 Development sub-Forum's been moved to Archived. If you have a thread that's not SOLVED there, start a new one under Using Fedora (or wherever else is appropriate) and reference the Archived thread.

Thankee for letting us make your life more difficult once again!
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

I cant reinstall Fedora 20 on a netbook that previously had Fedora 20 thin lvm.

Any idea how I can reformat the hard drive. Gparted says it is a gpt formatted drive and that the backup table info is missing.

Otherwise, the warning is "Do not use thin lvm" with Fedora.
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840

Use dd to reinitialize the drive - Typically, you do not have to let dd finish. Stop it after "sometime" and try gparted or anaconda ...
    Fedora 28 x86_64 XFCE - Sager | Intel Core i7 - 4810 MQ | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M | 16 GB RAM | 480 GB ADATA SSD |
    Fedora 28 x86_64 XFCE - Dell Precision M4800 | Intel Core i7 - 4900 MQ | NVIDIA Quadro K1100M | 16 GB RAM | 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD |

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation

fedup from 19 to 20, no problems so far, whoo

thx to all devs for this great release.

Is the manual partitioning section of anaconda any better than it has been on the last two releases?

Quote Originally Posted by nonamedotc
    Use dd to reinitialize the drive - Typically, you do not have to let dd finish. Stop it after "sometime" and try gparted or anaconda ...
    gdisk also has an option to "Zap" all partition table info. It's really the best way to wipe out GPT partition information without zeroing the entire drive, since GPT also keeps a backup copy of the partition table at the end of the drive.

Alternatively, I have wiped the first few sectors and the last few sectors of the drive using dd.

Quote Originally Posted by Thinkmarky
    fedup from 19 to 20, no problems so far, whoo

thx to all devs for this great release.
    I still get a giggle when I think about the name fedup thinking that it could be quite appropriate for some.

But seriously, I have the NVIDIA 304 blob installed using akmod in F19. I'm wondering if a fedup is going to go smoothly for me, given that fact.

Hi

If you use third party repos like RPM Fusion for drivers, it should be fine since fedup can handle that. If you use random non repo packages, you might have to handle that manually
    Rahul
    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RahulSundaram

Quote Originally Posted by RahulSundaram
    Hi

If you use third party repos like RPM Fusion for drivers, it should be fine since fedup can handle that. If you use random non repo packages, you might have to handle that manually
    Cool. I used RPM Fusion.

I got a few errors when trying with Yum So I am probably gonna back up my home directory and do a complete reinstall. Edit: Tried Fedup and it errored out on me too. Looks like that reinstall will have to wait till tomorrow but i'll get there.
    Last edited by inkrypted; 18th December 2013 at 02:10 AM.
    Inkrypted
    (Insert witty comment here)

Is there a libreoffice for F20? It didn't come across (still have f19 versions) and causes a few broken dependencies.

Quote Originally Posted by phedora
    Is there a libreoffice for F20? It didn't come across (still have f19 versions) and causes a few broken dependencies.
    LibreOffice is part of Fedora 20 repository. It seems you installed from LibreOffice website.
    Desktop CPU: AMD Phenom II(tm) X4 Processor 940 AM2+ - Memory: 8GB DDR2-RAM - GPU: Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 560 4GB OC - OS: Fedora 27 Workstation x86-64 and Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Laptop ASUS X550ZE - APU: AMD Quad Core A10 7400P + Dual Radeon R5 230, R7 M265DX - Memory: 16GB DDR3-RAM - OS: Fedora 27 Design Suite x86-64