Can't access "lost+found" or "root" in "Computer" directory
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Can't access "lost+found" or "root" in "Computer" directory

Hi All,

My comp usage and experience are pretty basic; I'd just like to be able to see what's in various directories.

I run Gnome 17-32 installed via Live DVD on an HP desktop with a dual-core AMD CPU, 4G RAM and a dedicated 500G drive. Wandering around in Files, I ran into the above problem. Clicking on "lost+found" and "root," I get "You do not have the permissions necessary to view the contents of “lost+found”/"root." There is no prompt for the root password. I opened the Terminal and su'd to Root but found this had no effect in opening either directory.

When I installed 17 it seems like there was an option to access root without leaving the regular user login via "sudo." As I remember this only pertained to Terminal entries.

I'm preparing to install Gnome 19-1 32 via Live DVD and would like to enable such access if there is a way to do it.

Thanks in advance for any info/help
    jeb

Re: Can't access "lost+found" or "root" in "Computer" directory

Working OK for me using F17:
    Code:
    [brenton@acer ~]$ su -
    Password: 
    [root@acer ~]# ls
    anaconda-ks.cfg  upgrade.log  upgrade.log.syslog
    [root@acer ~]# cd /lost+found
    [root@acer lost+found]# ls
    [root@acer lost+found]#
    It is quite likely that neither directory has anything in it. This is normal for lost+found.

User error. Please replace user and try again

You mentioned you are clicking on those directories from your file manager? Even after you open a terminal and su to root? Are you actually starting the file manager as root? If not, then it's still being run as your normal user.

Open a terminal

Code:
    su -
    (root password) 

nautilus
    This should run the file manager as root user, then you should be able to click away on those folders and access them. (actually, it will start in the /root folder since this is root users home folder)

As for your user having the access via sudo, when you install Fedora 19, tell it that your user is an admin user when you create it. Or if you forget to do that, then just add your user to the wheel group.

Thank you both for your responses. I attempted each unsuccessfully; both gave me multiple-line responses as to problems with the attempt.

At this point I also have other teething problems with the installation that are more pressing, so this goes on the shelf for a while.

Thanks again for your help.

jeb

Well, just to let you know.

The lost+found folder is a special folder that is set up when you first run fsck on the filesystem. If the filesystem is clean, then it allocates blocks to use just in case in the future it finds a corrupted filesystem. It can then use those blocks already allocated to fix things without having to allocate new blocks on a corrupted filesystem. So, you really don't want to do away with that folder, and if you do delete it, then it has to be recreated in a special way. either by running fsck or by running mklost+found on the filesystem.

And yes, it is normal for you to get "permission denied" errors when some things try to access the folder.

Thanks for the info; it goes into my info folder.

jeb