Announcing the release of Fedora 20 Beta
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Announcing the release of Fedora 20 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Gilmore's email on devel-announce

The Fedora 20 "Heisenbug" beta release has arrived with a preview of
    the latest fantastic, free, and open source technology currently under
    development. Take a peek inside:

*** What is the Beta Release? ***

The beta release is the last important milestone before the release of Fedora
    20. A Beta release is code-complete and bears a very strong resemblance to the
    third and final release. Only critical bug fixes will be pushed as updates up
    to the general release of Fedora 20. The final release of Fedora 20 is expected
    in early December. Meanwhile, download the beta of Fedora 20 and help us make
    it even better:

http://fedoraproject.org/get-prerelease

We need your help to make Fedora 20 the best release yet, so please take some
    time to download and try out the beta and make sure the things that are
    important to you are working. If you find a bug, please report it – every bug
    you uncover is a chance to improve the experience for millions of Fedora users
    worldwide. Together, we can make Fedora 20 a rock-solid distribution. We have a
    culture of coordinating new features and pushing fixes upstream as much as
    feasible and your feedback will help improve not only Fedora but Linux and free
    software on the whole. (See the end of this announcement for more information
    on how to help.)

Since it's a beta release, some problems may still be lurking. A list of
    problems that we already know about can be found at the Common F20 bugs page,
    found at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F20_bugs.

== 10 Years of Fedora ==

The Fedora 20 release coincides nicely with the 10th anniversary of Fedora. The
    first Fedora release (then called Fedora Core 1) came out on November 6, 2003.

Since then, the Fedora Project has become an active and vibrant community that
    produces nearly a dozen "spins" that are tailor made for desktop users,
    hardware design, gaming, musicians, artists, and early classroom environments.

== ARM as a Primary Architecture ==

While Fedora has supported a number of hardware architectures over the years,
    x86/x86_64 has been the default for the majority of Fedora users and for the
    Linux community in general.

ARM, however, has been making massive strides. It already dominates the mobile
    market, and is becoming a go-to platform for hobbyists and makers, and is
    showing enormous promise for the server market as well.

In keeping with Fedora's commitment to innovation, the Fedora community has
    been pushing to make ARM a primary architecture to satisfy the needs of users
    and developers targeting the ARM platform.

[ ... ]
    https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipe...er/001266.html

Re: Announcing the release of Fedora 20 Beta

I tried the Mate LiveCD and I couldn't be more happier.
    Acer Spin 5 | Intel Core i5-8250U| 256GB SSD

I am pleased with XFCE myself. I have been running since alpha! I also have cinnamon installed in a VM - will install that in my bare metal soon.

I have to say - cinnamon is quite nice and XFCE is as stable as ever for me .... ever since I started using it.

That's becoz nothing has changed in xfce code for the last 2 yrs. There is no new code or changing Abi which would break .

I know, which I am perfectly fine with. There are have been bug fixes though ... all this time. Nothing has to be changed just for the sake of changing.

Quote Originally Posted by nonamedotc
    I know, which I am perfectly fine with. There are have been bug fixes though ... all this time. Nothing has to be changed just for the sake of changing.
    Exactly my thoughts.

One question though. What screensaver do you use for XFCE?
    I use xscreensaver, but lately its bit odd and it starts blanking with VLC running.

Quote Originally Posted by hadrons123
    Exactly my thoughts.

One question though. What screensaver do you use for XFCE?
    I use xscreensaver, but lately its bit odd and it starts blanking with VLC running.
    I use xcreensaver. But, I have not seen a video using VLC for a while now. Let me test this behavior later tonight and post my observations here.

I have had the issue with VLC for awhile now. I believe it started back about F15, but can't remember for sure now. Although, I had not noticed it since kicking Gnome to the curb and going to Xfce. But, then again, I don't use VLC a whole lot.

I agree, too... Change, just for the sake of change can be good for some things, but not computer programs Every change is a new bug just waiting to bite someone.

I read somewhere in rpmfusion ML/bugreport that around VLC 2.0.6's time that this bug would be solved by VLC 2.1 with a dbus control method on the screensaver. But nothing's changed for me in VLC 2.1.x.

I am noticing higher power consumption in mate DE with CPU running bit hotter(5-10 Celcius) than it usually is, since I did a yum update in F20 Beta. Caja windows attack bug is back since today's update.

Code:
    rpm -qi mate-desktop
    Name        : mate-desktop
    Version     : 1.6.2
    Release     : 0.7.git81c245b.fc20
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=886029

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

About the vlc and xscreensaver issue: Just had to try that out now.
    Code:
    $ uname -r
    3.11.7-300.fc20.x86_64
    $ rpm -q vlc
    vlc-2.1.0-3.fc20.x86_64
    My xscreensaver is set to "blank screen only" after ten minutes of no user input (mouse/keyboard), and to lock the screen after 20 minutes.

I checked vlc's settings and found the "disable screensaver" box checked by default (in Video settings).

Popped in a DVD movie (Swordfish) and fired it up. Watched about the first 30 minutes of it making sure to keep hands/fingers off the keyboard and mouse. The screen never blanked. I'd say vlc's "disable screensaver" function is working.

I will have to check that out on mine and see if I get the same results. I just haven't used VLC much lately, so I didn't know if they had the issue fixed or not.

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

Quote Originally Posted by PabloTwo
    Popped in a DVD movie (Swordfish) and fired it up. Watched about the first 30 minutes of it making sure to keep hands/fingers off the keyboard and mouse. The screen never blanked. I'd say vlc's "disable screensaver" function is working.
    Well, yeah, and maybe not so much. Followup report.

Later, computer shutdown for awhile and rebooted, thought I'd finish the movie (hadn't seen it before). Fast forwarded to the point where I left off, which was more like 23 minutes into the film. Ten minutes later, screen blanked. Say what?

Paused the movie, dropped out of full screen mode, checked vlc settings again, but this time hit the "save" button, though I don't think that should make any difference as I didn't change anything from the default setting. Then decided to disable the lock screen function in xscreensaver. Back to the movie, it played to completion with no more screen blanks.

Wondering if where you leave your mouse cursor on the screen has anything to do with screen blanking or not. Normally, I tend to park it as far to the screen edge as possible, but I know in this case I consciously left it out from the edge on at least two occasions (vlc makes it disappear anyway within seconds if there is no movement of the mouse).

Its sporadic. I have done all the kung-fu to track it down. I filed a bug report some time ago. But couldn't track it down.
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1013364

Downloaded and fired up F20 with mate (64bit) in a VM and it seems to be running quite well. According to system monitor it is using 256meg of ram at the desktop with no programs open. Beats the hell out of windows

Thanks again Fedora Developers!

coffee
    Fedora20 AMD X6 1090T - 8GIG RAM - Nvidia GTX-650 - LXDE. Linux since 1995 - No Gnomes allowed.
    Mythbuntu - Mythtv .27 - AMD 6core- 8 gigs ram Nvidia GTX-650 Ceton 4 port tunner
    Mint 17 64bit - Dual Core AMD 5200 2gig ram -GT 9400
    Galaxy Blaze 4G ICS ClockworkMOD :)