FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Infinality Font setup

Thank you to Infinality for great fonts. Not sure if it is my hardware or Fedora default fonts, but I was having trouble reading pdf's and even this sight - Fedora Forum.

Not anymore I followed hadrons123 - Infinality setup guide and all is well with Infinality Fonts.

1. su
    2. rpm -Uvh http://www.infinality.net/fedora/lin...0-1.noarch.rpm
    3. yum install fontconfig-infinality freetype-infinality
    4. reboot

Thanks again, big difference and much appreciated
    On quest for blue smoke and red rings...

Re: Infinality Font setup

Yep, makes all the difference in the world. Only thing I'd wish for is a GUI to tweak and preview adjustments. Few of us are familiar with the hieroglyphics of font configs.

Oh yeah - this particularly makes a big difference in XFCE, at least, in my eyes!
    Fedora 27 x86_64 XFCE - Sager | Intel Core i7 - 4810 MQ | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M | 16 GB RAM | 480 GB ADATA SSD |
    Fedora 27 x86_64 XFCE - Dell Precision M4800 | Intel Core i7 - 4900 MQ | NVIDIA Quadro K1100M | 16 GB RAM | 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD |

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation

infinality does give pretty good comments on how to tweak things to your liking. Better than a lot of other applications. Actually explains in detail what each setting does, etc... He also provides a number of "presets" you can choose from as well.

Look in your /etc/profile.d/infinality-settings.sh and you will see what I mean. (presets are set down close to the end of the file)

Quote Originally Posted by joncr
    Only thing I'd wish for is a GUI to tweak and preview adjustments. Few of us are familiar with the hieroglyphics of font configs.
    For a perpetual noob like myself, that would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by DBelton
    infinality does give pretty good comments on how to tweak things to your liking. Better than a lot of other applications. Actually explains in detail what each setting does, etc... He also provides a number of "presets" you can choose from as well.

Look in your /etc/profile.d/infinality-settings.sh and you will see what I mean. (presets are set down close to the end of the file)
    Of course, if I go messing around in there, probably would be trouble. The choice of Presets, is nice; and the information is fairly straight forward.

Think I'll play it safe, as I am enjoying the default settings of Infinality

Update: Thanks Dan for the info on Infinality - checking out the Presets, very easy to do
    Last edited by BBQdave; 12th November 2013 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Checking out Infinality Presets
    On quest for blue smoke and red rings...

Quote Originally Posted by joncr
    Yep, makes all the difference in the world. Only thing I'd wish for is a GUI to tweak and preview adjustments. Few of us are familiar with the hieroglyphics of font configs.
    Sorry to bump an old thread... But I saw a post/review of “Infinality Style Changer”.

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Deskt...r-102885.shtml

Looks simple and great. It's just a bash script and a desktop file, so it wouldn't be too hard to update, if needed.

It's also at gnomefiles.org and gtk-apps.org

It would be great if this one was to download in a repo.

- - -

A question about Infinality...

It looks great, but the font substitutes are ...somewhat annoying.

I haven't looked into it that much yet, but if I set change the preset to “ms” (free, ms, custom) - would that stop the substitution? I like the free fonts, I do, and I use them rather than the MS fonts - just that I want/need to chose myself when and where.
    [eric@...] ~$

Is the infinality website still working?

On a related note, try google-droid-fonts in place of infinality. Also, for monospace fonts, try google roboto fonts.
    Fedora 27 x86_64 XFCE - Sager | Intel Core i7 - 4810 MQ | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M | 16 GB RAM | 480 GB ADATA SSD |
    Fedora 27 x86_64 XFCE - Dell Precision M4800 | Intel Core i7 - 4900 MQ | NVIDIA Quadro K1100M | 16 GB RAM | 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD |

Quote Originally Posted by nonamedotc
    Is the infinality website still working?

On a related note, try google-droid-fonts in place of infinality. Also, for monospace fonts, try google roboto fonts.
    Thanks for the reply… Well, the site it's still around, but the development is here now:
    - Infinality bundle & fonts | bohoomil.com
    - https://github.com/bohoomil/fontconfig-ultimate

For Fedora I found this one:: Infinality Ultimate Bundle packaged for Fedora 23 and 24 – Daniel Renninghoff

It is the font-replacement I want to get rid off - the automation of it.
    [eric@...] ~$

Ah! All is well then. Looks like this was a human error in navigating to the site.

Thanks for the other links ... Those I had no idea about. Very useful!

Here's what the forum fonts look like with the Infinality Bundle from Daniel Renninghoff.

That was made with the default minimum font size in Firefox, which is none. Comparing them to the 9 point font I use in gnome-terminal, I'm guessing they're 8 point at the largest.

dd_wizard
    Last edited by dd_wizard; 13th April 2016 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nonamedotc
    Ah! All is well then. Looks like this was a human error in navigating to the site.

Thanks for the other links ... Those I had no idea about. Very useful!
    Yes, the index page on the old Infinality website just redirects to /blog/, which is a no-go. But the other pages and the forums are still around.

Quote Originally Posted by dd_wizard
    Here's what the forum fonts look like with the Infinality Bundle from Daniel Renninghoff.

That was made with the default minimum font size in Firefox, which is none. Comparing them to the 9 point font I use in gnome-terminal, I'm guessing they're 8 point at the largest.

dd_wizard
    Looks great. The webinspector in FF says 11px and looks like they're about same size. I have “9” as minimum, in FF.

- - -

I saw this link: Support Fedora repo again · Issue #70 · bohoomil/fontconfig-ultimate

Perhaps not so related to the other one, but seems good to keep as good reading/resource. It's still open, so hopefully they (Bohoomil and Renninghoff) can join efforts and make an “official” version of it. :crossfingers:
    [eric@...] ~$