FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,411

    Infinality Font setup

    Thank you to Infinality for great fonts. Not sure if it is my hardware or Fedora default fonts, but I was having trouble reading pdf's and even this sight - Fedora Forum.

    Not anymore I followed hadrons123 - Infinality setup guide and all is well with Infinality Fonts.


    1. su
    2. rpm -Uvh http://www.infinality.net/fedora/lin...0-1.noarch.rpm
    3. yum install fontconfig-infinality freetype-infinality
    4. reboot

    Thanks again, big difference and much appreciated
    On quest for blue smoke and red rings...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,222

    Re: Infinality Font setup

    Yep, makes all the difference in the world. Only thing I'd wish for is a GUI to tweak and preview adjustments. Few of us are familiar with the hieroglyphics of font configs.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    /
    Posts
    5,093

    Re: Infinality Font setup

    Oh yeah - this particularly makes a big difference in XFCE, at least, in my eyes!
    Fedora 27 x86_64 XFCE - Sager | Intel Core i7 - 4810 MQ | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M | 16 GB RAM | 480 GB ADATA SSD |
    Fedora 27 x86_64 XFCE - Dell Precision M4800 | Intel Core i7 - 4900 MQ | NVIDIA Quadro K1100M | 16 GB RAM | 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD |


    The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,464

    Re: Infinality Font setup

    infinality does give pretty good comments on how to tweak things to your liking. Better than a lot of other applications. Actually explains in detail what each setting does, etc... He also provides a number of "presets" you can choose from as well.

    Look in your /etc/profile.d/infinality-settings.sh and you will see what I mean. (presets are set down close to the end of the file)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,411

    Re: Infinality Font setup

    Quote Originally Posted by joncr
    Only thing I'd wish for is a GUI to tweak and preview adjustments. Few of us are familiar with the hieroglyphics of font configs.
    For a perpetual noob like myself, that would be nice

    Quote Originally Posted by DBelton
    infinality does give pretty good comments on how to tweak things to your liking. Better than a lot of other applications. Actually explains in detail what each setting does, etc... He also provides a number of "presets" you can choose from as well.

    Look in your /etc/profile.d/infinality-settings.sh and you will see what I mean. (presets are set down close to the end of the file)
    Of course, if I go messing around in there, probably would be trouble. The choice of Presets, is nice; and the information is fairly straight forward.

    Think I'll play it safe, as I am enjoying the default settings of Infinality

    Update: Thanks Dan for the info on Infinality - checking out the Presets, very easy to do
    Last edited by BBQdave; 12th November 2013 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Checking out Infinality Presets
    On quest for blue smoke and red rings...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    60

    Re: Infinality Font setup

    Quote Originally Posted by joncr
    Yep, makes all the difference in the world. Only thing I'd wish for is a GUI to tweak and preview adjustments. Few of us are familiar with the hieroglyphics of font configs.
    Sorry to bump an old thread... But I saw a post/review of “Infinality Style Changer”.

    http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Deskt...r-102885.shtml

    Looks simple and great. It's just a bash script and a desktop file, so it wouldn't be too hard to update, if needed.



    It's also at gnomefiles.org and gtk-apps.org


    It would be great if this one was to download in a repo.

    - - -

    A question about Infinality...

    It looks great, but the font substitutes are ...somewhat annoying.

    I haven't looked into it that much yet, but if I set change the preset to “ms” (free, ms, custom) - would that stop the substitution? I like the free fonts, I do, and I use them rather than the MS fonts - just that I want/need to chose myself when and where.
    [eric@...] ~$

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    /
    Posts
    5,093
    Is the infinality website still working?

    On a related note, try google-droid-fonts in place of infinality. Also, for monospace fonts, try google roboto fonts.
    Fedora 27 x86_64 XFCE - Sager | Intel Core i7 - 4810 MQ | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M | 16 GB RAM | 480 GB ADATA SSD |
    Fedora 27 x86_64 XFCE - Dell Precision M4800 | Intel Core i7 - 4900 MQ | NVIDIA Quadro K1100M | 16 GB RAM | 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD |


    The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    60

    Re: Infinality Font setup

    Quote Originally Posted by nonamedotc
    Is the infinality website still working?

    On a related note, try google-droid-fonts in place of infinality. Also, for monospace fonts, try google roboto fonts.
    Thanks for the reply… Well, the site it's still around, but the development is here now:
    - Infinality bundle & fonts | bohoomil.com
    - https://github.com/bohoomil/fontconfig-ultimate

    For Fedora I found this one:: Infinality Ultimate Bundle packaged for Fedora 23 and 24 – Daniel Renninghoff

    It is the font-replacement I want to get rid off - the automation of it.
    [eric@...] ~$

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    /
    Posts
    5,093
    Ah! All is well then. Looks like this was a human error in navigating to the site.

    Thanks for the other links ... Those I had no idea about. Very useful!
    Fedora 27 x86_64 XFCE - Sager | Intel Core i7 - 4810 MQ | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M | 16 GB RAM | 480 GB ADATA SSD |
    Fedora 27 x86_64 XFCE - Dell Precision M4800 | Intel Core i7 - 4900 MQ | NVIDIA Quadro K1100M | 16 GB RAM | 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD |


    The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Infinality Font setup

    Here's what the forum fonts look like with the Infinality Bundle from Daniel Renninghoff.





    That was made with the default minimum font size in Firefox, which is none. Comparing them to the 9 point font I use in gnome-terminal, I'm guessing they're 8 point at the largest.

    dd_wizard
    Last edited by dd_wizard; 13th April 2016 at 12:22 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    60

    Re: Infinality Font setup

    Quote Originally Posted by nonamedotc
    Ah! All is well then. Looks like this was a human error in navigating to the site.

    Thanks for the other links ... Those I had no idea about. Very useful!
    Yes, the index page on the old Infinality website just redirects to /blog/, which is a no-go. But the other pages and the forums are still around.

    Quote Originally Posted by dd_wizard
    Here's what the forum fonts look like with the Infinality Bundle from Daniel Renninghoff.





    That was made with the default minimum font size in Firefox, which is none. Comparing them to the 9 point font I use in gnome-terminal, I'm guessing they're 8 point at the largest.

    dd_wizard
    Looks great. The webinspector in FF says 11px and looks like they're about same size. I have “9” as minimum, in FF.

    - - -

    I saw this link: Support Fedora repo again · Issue #70 · bohoomil/fontconfig-ultimate

    Perhaps not so related to the other one, but seems good to keep as good reading/resource. It's still open, so hopefully they (Bohoomil and Renninghoff) can join efforts and make an “official” version of it. :crossfingers:
    [eric@...] ~$

Similar Threads

  1. Infinality setup guide
    By hadrons123 in forum Guides & Solutions (Not For Questions)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16th July 2014, 04:46 AM
  2. Infinality and Fedora 20
    By Hewjr100 in forum F-20 Development Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12th September 2013, 12:56 PM
  3. Is Infinality Working on F19?
    By joncr in forum F19 Development
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2nd June 2013, 11:49 PM
  4. Infinality has been updated for Fedora 18
    By DBelton in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 31st May 2013, 03:25 AM
  5. Infinality / Ghostscript incompatibility
    By dwsideri in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 3rd July 2012, 07:08 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •