Problem to mount a partition
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Exclamation Problem to mount a partition

Hi , thanks for read my problem.

i've the next problem.
    i just have installed a Fedora and i connect a external hard drive and it print the next problem :/

Ocurrió un error al acceder a «MikeSoft - HardDrive», el sistema respondió: The requested operation has failed: Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at /run/media/Mike/MikeSoft - HardDrive: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dm ask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sdb1" "/run/media/Mike/MikeSoft - HardDrive"' exited with non-zero exit status 13: MFT is corrupt, cannot read its unmapped extent record 18 Note : chkdsk cannot fix this, try ntfsfix Inode is corrupt (0): Error de entrada/salida Failed to load runlist for $MFT/$DATA. highest_vcn = 0x3, last_vcn - 1 = 0xcfbf Failed to load $MFT: Error de entrada/salida Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Error de entrada/salida NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g. /dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation for more details.

i don't understand what's the problem =S
    THANKS

leigh123linux Guest

Re: Problem to mount a partition

Quote Originally Posted by mikesoft
    Hi , thanks for read my problem.

i've the next problem.
    i just have installed a Fedora and i connect a external hard drive and it print the next problem :/

i don't understand what's the problem =S
    THANKS
    Well the message clearly states that your windoze ntfs partition has a corrupt mft and that you should run chkdsk from windoze to fix it.

MFT is corrupt, cannot read its unmapped extent record 18
    Note : chkdsk cannot fix this, try ntfsfix
    This is a major error. Did you defragment this disk recently ? What were your latest actions on it ? Did you mount this disk on Linux before ?

This situation is known to be created on Windows and chkdsk is known to not be able to repair it, but it would be useful to know under what conditions it happens.

First start as root the command :

Code:
    ntfsfix -n /dev/sdb1
    The option -n is important. This will assess the damage, and no fix will be applied (please post the output, and wait for the go ahead).

leigh123linux Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Pierre
    This is a major error. Did you defragment this disk recently ? What were your latest actions on it ? Did you mount this disk on Linux before ?

This situation is known to be created on Windows and chkdsk is known to not be able to repair it, but it would be useful to know under what conditions it happens.

First start as root the command :

Code:
    ntfsfix -n /dev/sdb1
    The option -n is important. This will assess the damage, and no fix will be applied (please post the output, and wait for the go ahead).

So windoze can't fix it's own partitions?, unbelievable, what were those stupid wa*kers thinking at M$.

Sorry for the topic just for this.

i fixed the problem with this command:

ntfsfix -b /dev/sdb1

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

Thanks for all

So windoze can't fix it's own partitions?, unbelievable, what were those stupid wa*kers thinking at M$.
    This bug is probably not caused by Windows itself. Let me explain : a part of the file table has been relocated, but Windows forbids to relocate the first 16 entries, so the first 16 entries are still in the old location, and the other ones are in a new location, and this new location has been recorded in entry 18, so you have to know where the entry 18 is to read it and know where it is. This is the equivalent of locking your car, slamming the door and leaving the keys inside.

Now, there is no such thing as relocating the MFT in ntfs-3g, and there is probably none in the Windows ntfs driver. This has to be done by a third party package, probably a defragmenter.

Note that is a treacherous bug : Windows keeps the MFT in its cache, so everything appears to be normal after the relocation, and you only discover the issue at next reboot.

Sorry for the topic just for this.
    For the topic to be useful to prevent other users from falling into this trap, please tell us what third party software you have used the last time the disk could be mounted.

Linux Firefox 52.0

Yesterday i realized that my Toshiba MQ01ABD100 is corrupted when i connect it via USB (the only possible connection) to a win10 mini pc.

I write this reply to say that when i tried to rescue the disk in parted magic i had the same message:
    "MFT is corrupt, cannot read its unmapped extent record 18 Note : chkdsk cannot fix this, try ntfsfix Inode is corrupt (0): Input/output error Failed to load runlist for $MFT/$DATA. highest_vcn = 0x3, last_vcn - 1 = 0xfc7f Failed to load $MFT: Input/output error Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Input/output error NTFS is inconsistent. Run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot it TWICE!"

So i write the code: ntfsfix -n /dev/sdb1 in terminal of parted magic as Jean Pierre suggested the MFT fixed.

But if you want to know what third party software i used the last time the disk was ok to be mounted was a win7 no updated pc a long time ago ( around 1 month ).

Big thanks to this forum and Jean Pierre.

I saved my data and my disk. The alternative was to save only the disk by formatting it as windows suggested.