Secure Boot not Enabled on an Acer Aspire with Windows 7 [USB Live Boot]
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Secure Boot not Enabled on an Acer Aspire with Windows 7 [USB Live Boot]

- Computer: Acer Aspire 5560g-7809
    - Laptop OS trying to install: *Fedora-Live-Desktop-x86_64-19-1.iso* via a liveusb (Made with liveusb-creator).
    - Error: *"Secure Boot not Enabled"*

Hey everyone. I am on an Acer Aspire 5560g-7809 and I recently created a bootable live USB using the LiveUSB Creator. When I attempt to boot up into it, it prompts me to either boot the ISO or verify and boot.

Regardless of what I pick, I get the message "Secure Boot not Enabled" and then it freezes there. My laptop was produced prior to secure boot even being a common thing. My BIOS do not even support that. From what I've read, this is a general message and most likely not the actual error. I'm running on a machine with Windows 7. I previously had Ubuntu on here, installed via Wubi.

Does anyone have any clue on how I should approach fixing this?
    Last edited by czechmate; 24th October 2013 at 11:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Secure Boot not Enabled on an Acer Aspire with Windows 7 [USB Live Boot]

It's not an error message. It's just telling you it's not enabled.
    Registered Linux User #348347
    Have you been seduced by siduction? http://siduction.org/index.php
    Running Fedora 19/20, siduction and openSUSE 13.1 with KDE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GoinEasy9
    It's not an error message. It's just telling you it's not enabled.
    I understand that, but it freezes there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, you did say that.

At this point, you might want to try redoing LiveUSB Creator or trying another method to write the iso to the usb stick. It might just be a bad burn. Intermittent problems writing iso's to usb sticks is the reason I keep a portable usb dvd player around.
    Registered Linux User #348347
    Have you been seduced by siduction? http://siduction.org/index.php
    Running Fedora 19/20, siduction and openSUSE 13.1 with KDE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GoinEasy9
    Sorry, you did say that.

At this point, you might want to try redoing LiveUSB Creator or trying another method to write the iso to the usb stick. It might just be a bad burn. Intermittent problems writing iso's to usb sticks is the reason I keep a portable usb dvd player around.
    Alright gotcha, I'll try a few ways then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It could indeed be a bad copy, as GoinEasy9 suggests. If that doesn't help, though, you might want to understand what's going on, since that can enable you to simplify the boot path, which might help you fix problems. The Fedora 19 installation medium launches two boot programs in sequence. The first is called shim, and it's signed with Microsoft's key to enable it to boot on Secure Boot computers. It displays the "Secure Boot not enabled" message, which is informational and not an error message. Once it does its thing, shim should pass control on to GRUB, which should give you a menu and, when you select an appropriate option, load your kernel. Note that on a non-Secure-Boot computer, shim is dead weight; it's launched only because there's no way to tell the computer to not launch it, and it is needed on computers with Secure Boot.

Since you say the system is hanging before you're seeing a GRUB menu, it seems likely that one of two things is going wrong:

• Shim may be hanging before it can pass control on to GRUB
    • GRUB may be hanging before it can display a menu

If shim is hanging, then the obvious solution is to bypass it. This can be done in several ways:

• Some EFIs provide a "boot from file" option in their user interfaces. If you select this option, you may be able to locate a file called EFI/BOOT/grubx64.efi on the USB drive and launch it directly. Unfortunately, not all EFIs offer such an option; in fact, it seems to be rather rare. Still, it's the easiest way to bypass shim if your EFI offers this option.
    • You can download an EFI shell, put it on a second USB flash drive as EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi, and boot from the rEFInd USB flash drive. You can then use the shell to navigate to the Fedora flash drive's EFI/BOOT directory and launch grubx64.efi. See here for some EFI shell download links.
    • You can download the USB flash drive version of my rEFInd boot manager, prepare it, and boot from that (with the Fedora USB flash drive inserted). If you don't see the Fedora boot options, hit the Esc key. You should then see options for both shim and GRUB; select the GRUB option to bypass shim. (Note that rEFInd provides labels for each boot option, and these labels usually contain filenames.)

If GRUB is hanging it gets more complex, but there are ways around it. Three that you might consider include:

• Set up rEFInd, gummiboot, ELILO, or some other boot manager or boot loader on a USB flash drive with a configuration file that will launch the installer's kernel with whatever options that the Fedora boot medium uses. This will take some understanding of boot loader configuration, but if you already possess such knowledge it's not too hard to do.
    • Much as above, but swap out GRUB on the Fedora boot medium for another boot loader. This may be preferable if you've only got one USB flash drive, but I'm not sure offhand if the Fedora medium will work well with read/write operations.
    • Install Fedora in BIOS mode rather than in EFI mode. You can then set up an EFI-mode boot loader to switch to an EFI-mode boot of Linux. This is likely to be easier than the previous option if you don't know much about boot loader configuration, but it will still take some explaining to help get you through the process. I'll wait to hear back from you before laying out a procedure to do this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wanted to chime in here - I'm experiencing the same issue on an ASUS G55VW laptop when attempting to boot in UEFI mode from an FC19 install disc. I am using both the full installation DVD and the Live image DVD - when I select to boot the disc in UEFI mode, it comes up with "Secure boot is not enabled." and stops there. Disc stops spinning, and nothing happens.

I discovered this late last night and have been unable to revisit it yet - I'll take a stab at it tonight and see if I can get a console and figure out what's going on.

Oh, and the media checks of both discs check out good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you are wondering the iso image is downloaded properly or not,you can match the cheksum number of the iso file you downloaded with the one available on fedora site.