FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Run script(s) at boot as sudo

I have two scripts I want executed at boot. One of them is used for mounting some folders from a local file server, and therefore require sudo/root privileges, while the other one doesn't require anything special and could maybe be added to /etc/rc.local?

In short, how do I get the system to run 3 x "sudo mount -t cifs //localip/examplefolder /mnt/examplefolder -o username=lameuser,password=lamepassword,nounix,rw, noserverino,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777" at boot?

Re: Run script(s) at boot as sudo

Scripts run at boot will run as root unless you explicitly tell them not to.

As for where to add them, that depends on what they do. File-system mounts should normally be added to /etc/fstab, rather than scripted. More general commands go in configuration files in /etc/systemd/system/*. There are other more specialized locations too, e.g. /etc/udev/rules.d/* for commands relating to hardware devices.

Well, I have no experience in any boot scripting, so I would love some guidance as to where to put my two current scripts listed below (usernames and passwords removed of course)

This is the mount/root script, and if it's run more than once it doesn't seem to **** up anything (years ago I had this one in yum.daily because of ****** fileserver).
    #!/bin/bash
    mount -t cifs //10.0.0.100/video /mnt/video1812 -o username=lameUser,password=lamePassword,nounix,rw, noserverino,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777
    mount -t cifs //10.0.0.101/video /mnt/video509 -o username=lameUser,password=lamePassword,nounix,rw, noserverino,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777

This is the regular user script that should only be executed once (at boot), since I don't want multiple SABnzbd+ & SickBeards running.
    #!/bin/bash
    ./SABnzbd-0.7.16/SABnzbd.py -d
    ./Sick-Beard-development/SickBeard.py -d

May i assume the machine of concern has a GUI?
    You could place them in /etc/xdg/autostart... well, a .desktop -file to 'Exec=' them.
    See the examples in that folder.

Not sure if they are execute as root, thought...

As already stated by Gareth Jones, the mounts sh/could be done in /etc/fstab.
    EFI Cheatsheet :: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=298546
    Video Handler Script (VHS) (mass re-encode videos, screenrecorder, console music/webradio player, ...) :: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=299182
    Windows 8+ & Fedora 20+ Dualboot :: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=298161

The machine has always been headless, so no autologin, and I was really hoping not having to start using a gui just for the sake of starting everything automatically in the event of power/ups failure and unexpected reboot.

As for the cryptically-named scripts, do they need to be run as a specific user? You can still run them on boot, with
    Code:
    su username -c "/path/to/script ARGS…"
    You could put that in /etc/rc.local, if it is still used. I’m not sure about that.

The best place is to put the command above in a Systemd configuration file in /etc/systemd/system. There are examples of the syntax in /lib/systemd/system/*, but maybe someone more knowledgeable about Systemd can chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Jones
    As for the cryptically-named scripts, do they need to be run as a specific user? You can still run them on boot, with
    Code:
    su username -c "/path/to/script ARGSÖ"
    You could put that in /etc/rc.local, if it is still used. Iím not sure about that.

The best place is to put the command above in a Systemd configuration file in /etc/systemd/system. There are examples of the syntax in /lib/systemd/system/*, but maybe someone more knowledgeable about Systemd can chime in.
    The system in question only has one regular user, nothing in particular, I just didn't want SABnzbd+ and SickBeard to run as root when I set it up years and years ago, but the mounts required root/sudo, so I just made two scripts I could run quickly via ssh from my cellphone in the event of a unplanned reboot. I guess I could have used one script if the regular user didn't require password prompt when using sudo, but since I anyways had to do something after a reboot, I went with two separate scripts to start SABnzbd and SickBeard after mounting the fileservers.