Boys from Brazil
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Boys from Brazil

Hola!
    Okay, here is the situation: I just finished watching "The Boys from Brazil" (1978), and in the movie everything except for two items were clear. What I do not understand though bugs me:

Firstly, What was the point of the clawed bracelet that Dr. Mengle was so infatuated with?

Secondly, What was the point of the Nazi Investigator, when he was interviewing Elsi in prison<name/sp>, asking about the birthday of her adopted Doberman Pinscher? He gave up a deposition for that information and acted like it was key to something --but to what?

If you know the answer, then you are a better analyst than I. (And if you find that easy, let's hear an explanation for "Naked Lunch".)

jimmij

Re: Boys from Brazil

It's been a long time since I have seen that movie, but the question of the birthday of the adopted doberman could have been so the investigator could determine if the doberman was one of the doberman's that Lieberman (and then later Bobby) turn loose on Mengle.

I really don't know the meaning of the claw bracelet, though... Unless it was proof that the surrogate mothers for the clones really weren't from "pure aryan stock" but natives in brazil.

Sorry for the delay in my reply...life.

But the mothers for the "Boys" were Aryan. They were all blonde, caucasian host mothers. So I don't see how the carved, claw bracelet connects the two.

As for the dogs birthday, I found this website: "www.thepeoplehistory.com/december11th.html", that notes on Dec 11th, Germany and Italy declared war on the USA.

So the mystery of the claw remains.
    The issue with the dog's birthday seems to be lucky coincidence to me. And as for the investigator using that date in conjuction to identify the dogs that attacked Mengle --That incident happened at the end of the movie after the interview, I don't see how those two items can be connected because the information would never be pertinent.

jimm

Quote Originally Posted by jimmij
    Hola!

If you know the answer, then you are a better analyst than I. (And if you find that easy, let's hear an explanation for "Naked Lunch".)

jimmij
    Naked Lunch=Bologna Sandwich and just consisting of one slice of bologna between two slices of white bread and nothing else hence "naked lunch" in the parlance of the 60's from the Detroit, Michigan U.S.A. area in my youth. A little tastier than a "knuckle sandwich".

phil

Windows NT 10.0 Chrome 68.0.3440.106

I know I'm a tad late to this discussion but I'm in the middle of watching it again - I found this thread via googling and I believe I know the answer to the December 11th question :-)

During the prison interview, Lieberman (Olivier) asks Frieda Maloney (the lady who handled the adoptions) for names of the families. She mentions Wheelock (who's the father of the boy with the dobermans at the end). She then mentions that Wheelock gave her a doberman "only ten weeks old" at the time of the adoption. Lieberman asks her dog's birthday and she answers "December 11th".

In the next scene, Lieberman and his sister are trying to figure out the schedule by which the Nazis are murdering the boys' fathers - 14 years after each adoption, to simulate Hitler's upbringing (although Lieberman doesn't realize that yet) - and based on the dates of the previous deaths, and the fact that Maloney received her doberman at the time the Wheelock kid was adopted, they work out that Wheelock (the father) is due to be murdered on February 20th (in four days).

It's a little weird that they have Olivier do that "dread" look with that ominous music in the background immediately after she tells him the date in the interview, since he doesn't figure out the meaning of it until the next scene, but maybe the fact that he asked the date at all means his brain's already working on it or something? Anyway.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 62.0

Yeah, you're late.
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

Linux Chrome 69.0.3497.81

welcome to the forum, hopefully you also have an interest in at least trying out Fedora as well. If you do and have any questions or comments about using it please feel free to frequent this site.

a tad late is an understatement though (10/10 for attempting to raise Imhotep) so this thread is now closed, please don't necro-post