FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

F19 UEFI install hangs at "Secure Boot Not Enabled"

Cannot get past the "Secure Boot Not Enabled" message when attempting to install (or start up a shell via troubleshooting). Hardware is a Dell PowerEdge R320. Problem occurs for both for the Live and netinstall USB images.

FWIW:

Debian Wheezy has no problems installing in UEFI mode.

Also if I install Fedora in BIOS boot mode it will not let me GPT partition the drive - it will repartition the drive DOS style. Nor will it let me use existing GPT partitions that I've set up.

Is there a way out of this nightmare?
    Last edited by darkphader; 30th August 2013 at 02:35 PM.

Re: F19 UEFI install hangs at "Secure Boot Not Enabled"

I had similar problems installing F19.

I think if you have MBR disk then UEFI boot wont work. You have to use Legacy boot.

This worked for me:

- Change BIOS to a Legacy boot.
    - Restart and plug in LiveUSB and boot from that (N.B use the Fedora-live-usb-creator to make the USB. Unetbootin and pendrivelinux USB didn't work for me).
    - Then use 'gparted' to format disk as GPT. You may have to install it first ('sudo yum install gparted'?? Or use the yum extender).
    - Then install F19 (I used the anaconda auto partition tool which used ext4 file system, swap and UEFI boot)
    - When complete shutdown (or reboot)
    - You have to then go into BIOS before the grub screen and change to UEFI boot since you now have a GPT disk.
    - It should boot from there.

(I had to add 'libata.force=noncq' to the command line for a successful boot)

Good luck.

Tried the libata line, no success. Sorry if it wasn't clear that I had already partitioned the disks as GPT - the auto-partitioner will elect to change it back to DOS, nor will it allow to me to select partitions I've created as mount points.

Quote Originally Posted by darkphader
    Cannot get past the "Secure Boot Not Enabled" message when attempting to install (or start up a shell via troubleshooting). Hardware is a Dell PowerEdge R320. Problem occurs for both for the Live and netinstall USB images.
    I recommend you file a bug report. This particular problem most likely indicates a bug in either shim or GRUB.

Also if I install Fedora in BIOS boot mode it will not let me GPT partition the drive - it will repartition the drive DOS style. Nor will it let me use existing GPT partitions that I've set up.
    That's strange. I haven't checked with Fedora 19, but previous versions had no problems installing to GPT disks in EFI mode. In fact, it wasn't too long ago (F16 or F17, I think) that Fedora switched to using GPT mode by default on BIOS-mode installs. That caused serious problems with a significant minority of computers, though, so they switched back to using MBR partitions on the next release, but it continued to support installing to a GPT disk. You may want to try it again, in case there was a glitch the first time you tried it.

Beyond that, you could try this:

1. Download the USB flash drive version of my rEFInd boot manager and prepare a USB flash drive with it.
    2. Insert both the rEFInd and Fedora installer USB flash drives in the computer.
    3. Boot from the rEFInd flash drive. You should see the rEFInd menu appear.
    4. In the rEFInd menu, locate the GRUB option on the Fedora installer and launch it. This should boot the installer without involving shim, so if shim is messing things up, you'll bypass it.

If that doesn't work, it's possible to edit the EFI/BOOT/refind.conf file on the rEFInd flash drive to create a manual boot stanza to boot the Linux kernel on the Fedora installer directly. See this section of the rEFInd documentation for details. Unfortunately, I don't recall the details of how the Fedora boot medium is set up, so you'll need to locate the kernel and figure out the boot options to pass to it yourself. Note that if your problem is with GRUB hanging on your system, it may hang once it's installed, too, so you'll then need to use the rEFInd USB flash drive to boot the installed system and then install rEFInd (or another EFI boot loader) on the computer.

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

I've read in the past that passing gpt as a kernel parameter will force anaconda to use gpt disk partitioning. It was F16 that defaulted to gpt partitioning installs on an otherwise blank disk, even on older non efi computers. I installed F16 onto a blank 120GB hdd in a 2005 vintage Dell XP laptop and it was gpt partitioned.

Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
    I haven't checked with Fedora 19, but previous versions had no problems installing to GPT disks in EFI mode.
    I've just done a test install of Fedora 19 in VirtualBox, and I was able to install to a GPT disk in BIOS mode with no problem. I pre-partitioned the disk using PartedMagic and then used Anaconda's partition-setup tool to assign mount points.

That said, Anaconda's user interface is very poor; it's hard to tell how to assign mount points for existing partitions, so it's easy to flounder around unsuccessfully or even damage your setup. My hunch is this is the problem that you (darkphader) ran into, not a GPT-on-BIOS allergy.