FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Try out Fedora Badges

In case you haven't got the memo yet, all the cool kids are signing up for Fedora Badges. You don't want to be the only one who isn't cool enough to use it, right?!

Badges is an Open Badges-based badges/trophies/rewards/accomplishments-type system for Fedora, and it's super fun. The infrastructure team has done a great job writing the software and spreading fedmsg integration around (most badge awarding is done via fedmsg; part of the point of Badges is to drive the adoption of fedmsg), and the design team is doing a great job of creating killer-looking badges.

You can just visit the page and sign in with your FAS account to play with it. The Explore page helps you look around other users' collections, the most recently added badges, and the full badge set. And if you want to contribute badge ideas, work on badges, or work on the back end, this page should have the info you need.

Check it out!
    Adam Williamson | awilliam AT redhat DOT com
    Fedora QA Community Monkey
    IRC: adamw | Twitter: AdamW_Fedora | identi.ca: adamwfedora
    http://www.happyassassin.net

Re: Try out Fedora Badges

Quote Originally Posted by AdamW
    In case you haven't got the memo yet, all the cool kids are signing up for Fedora Badges. You don't want to be the only one who isn't cool enough to use it, right?!
    Indeed! Me too!

I thought those badges looked very beautiful!
    Fedora 28 x86_64 XFCE - Sager | Intel Core i7 - 4810 MQ | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M | 16 GB RAM | 480 GB ADATA SSD |
    Fedora 28 x86_64 XFCE - Dell Precision M4800 | Intel Core i7 - 4900 MQ | NVIDIA Quadro K1100M | 16 GB RAM | 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD |

The Linux Documentation Project | Fedora Documentation

Question Re: Try out Fedora Badges

Funny, albeit quite complex.

Is there a "known bugs" page or anything like that?

Either I don't understand some of the badges yet, or there is a bug. When I see "You have earned 12 badges", the "You got your first 10 Fedora Badges" badge should be one of those 12, shouldn't it?

Oh yeah its sooo productive.. everyone's running after badges, non focus on the work..
    Help create new badges, you're missing a badge.. oh no, nobody knows that you, yes you, have done something required to do something else you also get a badge for..... as if there's not enough related/important stuff to do..

Sorry thats my 2 cents.
    EFI Cheatsheet :: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=298546
    Video Handler Script (VHS) (mass re-encode videos, screenrecorder, console music/webradio player, ...) :: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=299182
    Windows 8+ & Fedora 20+ Dualboot :: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=298161

That point of view is much too negative, IMO.

As I understand it, this thing is opt-out, not opt-in.

For me, it had collected badges automatically without telling me. I only learned about it when wondering about the term "badge", when I saw it in a copy of an email that referred to the interrupted proventester group. It made me visit a linked ticket, and then I searched a bit more. It won't make sense to join lots of new groups inside the Fedora Project just to do something that results in acquiring additional batches.

For the typical contributor in an arbitrary sub-project, several badges will be automatically gained over time as a result of regular project activity. And many contributors won't care at all. Sure, there will be some, who will hunt for badges, but that's a side-effect of measuring contributor activity and publishing the results.

Help create new badges
    That's probably the only part I would be concerned about a bit, too, but I assume that the developers of this stuff don't forget prioritising more important work appropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by mschwendt
    Funny, albeit quite complex.

Is there a "known bugs" page or anything like that?

Either I don't understand some of the badges yet, or there is a bug. When I see "You have earned 12 badges", the "You got your first 10 Fedora Badges" badge should be one of those 12, shouldn't it?
    We don't have a known bugs page yet, no. Bugs can be filed at https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-badges . I think I've seen a mention in passing that Ralph was trying to fix some kind of bug in the 'badger' badges, so that might be this, but I don't recall the details.

That point of view is much too negative, IMO.

As I understand it, this thing is opt-out, not opt-in.

For me, it had collected badges automatically without telling me.
    That's not quite how it works, AFAIK. It doesn't actually award badges - in the strict sense of writing out JSON snippets - to people who have never logged in to Badges, but when you first log in, it can tell that some badges you have already qualified for should be awarded to you.

From a 'privacy' / 'I don't want this thing' point of view, this is a bit of a red herring: whether you sign up for Badges or not, all the activity Badges "tracks" is already being tracked anyway by fedmsg. All Badges does is listen out for fedmsg messages and award badges on that basis. It's not like, if you don't sign up for Badges, your activity won't be sent over fedmsg, it will. Still, none of that information has ever been 'private', at present Badges is only awarding badges for stuff that is obviously public activity: package builds, posting stuff to ask.fp.o, submitting test results and so on. They're all things you do through public Fedora services after logging in with your FAS credentials, I don't think there's ever really been any kind of 'expectation of privacy' for those things, they've always been very publicly visible.

Of course, once desktop badges get implemented (which is in the long-term plan) then this will be different, but you'll have to explicitly install or enable the desktop client to start using it, we're not going to make it stealth-default-on or anything.

For the typical contributor in an arbitrary sub-project, several badges will be automatically gained over time as a result of regular project activity. And many contributors won't care at all. Sure, there will be some, who will hunt for badges, but that's a side-effect of measuring contributor activity and publishing the results.

That's probably the only part I would be concerned about a bit, too, but I assume that the developers of this stuff don't forget prioritising more important work appropriately.
    Right. I've actually done a lot of thinking about this as it's one of the areas Ralph asked me to help out in. Running a large 'reward' system like this involves all kinds of policy questions, I've got a notebook full of them that we need to thrash out at some point. One of the things I'll be focusing on is making sure we implement badges such that they don't encourage gamification and 'useless activity' too much. This is already something the team's been considering in an ad-hoc way as they implement badges, but we'll really need to be more organized about it if the badge set gets much bigger and the rate of proposed badges starts increasing.

There are a few existing badges that are problematic from this viewpoint - the 'failed Koji builds' set is one of the most controversial. nirik and I have been working on proposals for replacing that with something that encourages more positive behaviour. But overall, I think the current badge set is pretty good. It's certainly been encouraging people to ask and answer questions on ask.fp.o which is great, and it's been encouraging people to do more update testing, which is certainly something we need.

Pretty nice way to pursue a committed community.

That's not quite how it works, AFAIK. It doesn't actually award badges - in the strict sense of writing out JSON snippets - to people who have never logged in to Badges, but when you first log in, it can tell that some badges you have already qualified for should be awarded to you.
    Hah! Well, you write that with the assumption that I have general knowledge about these "badges", related web sites/services and what you can do with them. I don't. I'm a complete newbie here and probably won't dive into it. I don't even know the difference between earning badges and awarding badges. All I've done is finding the Fedora Badges site and discovering that it says I've "earned badges" already. I didn't know about that.

Is there a possibility to export a html snippet to show the badges in forum and wiki? I haven't found any way to do so.

...Badges is an Open Badges-based badges/trophies/rewards/accomplishments-type system for Fedora, and it's super fun. The infrastructure team has done a great job writing the software and spreading fedmsg integration around (most badge awarding is done via fedmsg; part of the point of Badges is to drive the adoption of fedmsg), and the design team is doing a great job of creating killer-looking badges.

You can just visit the page and sign in with your FAS account to play with it. The Explore page helps you look around other users' collections, the most recently added badges, and the full badge set. And if you want to contribute badge ideas, work on badges, or work on the back end, this page should have the info you need...
    Awesome!!!

Thank you for the post, I am sharing this with my support team now.
    2 dual cores, 11 GB RAM, F18 Spherical Cow - 3.11.10-100.fc18.x86_64 / i686
    2 dual cores, 11 GB RAM, F19 Schrödinger's Cat - 3.14.25-100.fc19.x86_64 / i686
    2 dual cores, 11 GB RAM, F20 Heisenbug - 3.17.4-200.fc20.x86_64 / i686
    2 dual cores, 11 GB RAM, F21 - 3.17.4-300.fc21.x86_64 / i686
    80 x86_64 computing cores, 144 GB RAM & 8 SATA Seagate 7200.12 500 GB harddisks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NorthKoreanMilitaryMedals_zps7714ecd2.jpg 
Views:	1051 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	25441

FUDCon Pyongyang?

Quote Originally Posted by Linutux
    Is there a possibility to export a html snippet to show the badges in forum and wiki? I haven't found any way to do so.
    https://jamielinux.com/articles/2013...-profile-page/ , for the Wiki.

For other things, you can 'export' the badges to Open Badges: http://openbadges.org/ , and do it from there.