Clonezilla - Identical disks?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clonezilla - Identical disks?

I have a client with a seagate 500 gig windows7 source disk and need to create a backup clone drive. I purchased an identical drive for this but I ran into a problem.

When selecting the source and destination drives its very difficult to tell them apart. The information in the dialog for source and destination lists the drive size and model. They are both the same.

I did drop to a shell and ran fdisk on both drives and can tell them apart - the destination drive has no partitions on it. However, This kinda makes me uneasy as when I restarted clonezilla I had the suspicion that it was swapping the drive mappings (sda to sdb).

I wish there was a better way to tell identical drives apart during the clonezilla dialog. Perhaps listing the serial numbers. It just seems to easy to overwrite the source drive by mistake unless the destination drive is a different manufactuer or size.

The cloning did actually error out - Something to do with the partitions. The source drive is a GPT partition and CZ didnt like that for some reason. I checked for an updated iso for clonezilla and found I was using an older version. I have downloaded CZ 2.1.1.25 now and will have to reschedule to try it again. My client is very busy all the time and its hard to schedule an appointment close to closing time to take the server down.

Shouldnt there be a better way to distinguish between identical disks? Be nice if in the discriptions for the source and destination drives to include something like a list of partitions. Then it would be easy telling apart same model drives as the destination drive would have no partitions.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

coffee412
    Fedora20 AMD X6 1090T - 8GIG RAM - Nvidia GTX-650 - LXDE. Linux since 1995 - No Gnomes allowed.
    Mythbuntu - Mythtv .27 - AMD 6core- 8 gigs ram Nvidia GTX-650 Ceton 4 port tunner
    Mint 17 64bit - Dual Core AMD 5200 2gig ram -GT 9400
    Galaxy Blaze 4G ICS ClockworkMOD :)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Clonezilla - Identical disks?

I use the serial numbers on my drives to distinguish them.

I use dd from a Clonezilla CD 'terminal' to clone my identical drives. Have to login as root by using "sudo i".

Here are the actual commands that I use. Takes awhile - maybe 3 or 4 hours.
    Code:
    $ sudo -i
    # dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
    Fedora 19 Gnome on a ThinkPad X220, i5-2540M CPU, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Intel N 6205 wireless, and Sierra Wireless 754S Mobile Hotspot (AT&T)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Clonezilla - Identical disks?

Quote Originally Posted by David Batson
    I use the serial numbers on my drives to distinguish them.

I use dd from a Clonezilla CD 'terminal' to clone my identical drives. Have to login as root by using "sudo i".

Here are the actual commands that I use. Takes awhile - maybe 3 or 4 hours.
    Code:
    $ sudo -i
    # dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
    Yes, 3-4 hours is not bad. How big was the disk?

For some reason it looked like when I ran CZ and dropped to a shell to make sure I had the disks right then went back to CZ the drive definitions would swap (??). I got pretty scared to run the clone process and backed out to investigate it further.

Wanted to use CZ (I have in the past with no problems) as it will not bother with empty sectors. Just copy the data. But looks like I will also just use DD on the drive(s).

Thanks for the reply!

coffee
    Fedora20 AMD X6 1090T - 8GIG RAM - Nvidia GTX-650 - LXDE. Linux since 1995 - No Gnomes allowed.
    Mythbuntu - Mythtv .27 - AMD 6core- 8 gigs ram Nvidia GTX-650 Ceton 4 port tunner
    Mint 17 64bit - Dual Core AMD 5200 2gig ram -GT 9400
    Galaxy Blaze 4G ICS ClockworkMOD :)