A call for Ask Fedora quality assurance
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation A call for Ask Fedora quality assurance

In late 2012 I switched from Ubuntu to Fedora. I found the notion of Ubuntu being problem-free false, so I saw no reason to put up with outdated software (especially kernels) and Canonical's leeching on the linux ecosystem.

One thing I knew I'll miss was the Ask Ubuntu Q&A site so I was happy to discover that there is an equivalent site for fedora - Ask Fedora.

The very first day it struck me how inferrior Ask Fedora is compared to Ask Ubuntu. Feature-wise - it's obvious. In this topic I'd like to focus on something else i.e. the quality of of the content. To quote my comment on Ask Fedora:
    Above all - quality control through moderation. The quality of, especially, questions is disastrous when compared to askubuntu.com, often not in English. People post obsolete comments and don't use voting at all. An answer with over thousand views typically has one or two upvotes.
    Are there any plans regarding the issue?

EDIT:
    Related
    https://ask.fedoraproject.org/questi...in-ask-fedora/
    Last edited by Bucic; 16th March 2013 at 09:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: A call for Ask Fedora quality assurance

(Hold off, guys. Let him finish.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok. Three things:

Ask.fedora is a wholly owned in-house operation of the fedora project. We are not. fedoraforum.org is and always has been a separate private entity. (No doubt that has, over the years, annoyed the devil out of some folks over at the project. <....> ) therefore we have exactly zip, zilch, nada, nill, nuttin' influence, sway or effect on anything or anyone over there.

That's strictly their baby. We're just one of those ...

Quote Originally Posted by originally posted
    I wouldn't like to go into much details here as the case is simple to me - either Ask Fedora completely revises its policy or it will only settle as dump not much better than a regular forum. Below is a list of some fundamental measures I see fit. Obviously you can disagree with me but the ask yourself - is the current state really better and does it have future?
    ... nasty old forums people go slumming around on. <....>

So ... there's really not much we can do to help you with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must say I don't feel guilty at all about confusing forums.fedoraforum.org for being an integral part of the community i.e. the community under some obligation to the mothership - RH. Also I don't think my call is completely invalid just because the forums are not directly tied to the Ask Fedora. The common denominator is (should be) care for the Fedora community good. Should I care about the legal stuff or hope that some Ask Fedora folks hang out on the forums? I did the latter.

As for the unfortunate 'dump'. I'm sorry for the harsh words. It's just that I wrote that with many of those posts on AF in mind - complete gibberish, or in Spanish, or titled 'Gotta problem here???' or all of it at once and the 'dump' was something I'd use to describe those posts rather than regular forums. On the comparison - I do think regular forums don't stand a chance against Q&A sites quality-wise.

So... Can I use the topic to post my points?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately, such a statement is going to aggravate a lot of folks who read this. Hopefully, some of them will have looked at cracked.com's article today, the one about Mr. Rogers.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-moment...test-american/

I'm not very familiar with ask ubuntu, so can't really compare it. The ask fedora is still relatively new, and I suspect most newcomers come to these (unofficial as Dan has said), forums.

So.....I suspect (but this is only a guess on my part), that partially due to its relative newness, folks aren't all that used to its system of upvoting and such yet. I've only visited it a few times, mostly out of curiosity and gave answers rather than asked questions.

IMHO, these forums are still the main place people come for most Fedora answers. While there are always a few who are too vehement if one dares to criticize Fedora, the vast majority (including these vehement ones) are always very happy to help when they can.

EDIT: You posted your second post as I was writing. I would say you can use the topic to post your points, but, I repeat there are those who are overly vehement in response if you dare criticize Fedora. Also note, I'm not a mod or connected to Fedora in any way, save as an overly frequent poster on these forums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So... Can I use the topic to post my points?
    Sure. Go ahead. Just as long as you realize that this is not the first best place to do that. Better to get a cogent response from someone who can actually do something about your concerns if you directly address the people involved.

https://ask.fedoraproject.org/feedba...xt=/questions/

What we will not tolerate is if it turns into an "us vs. them" sort of a deal, or a general biotchfest. The first is plain old evil, and the second is underhanded as hell.

That being said ... moved to Rants & Raves.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh, I never even knew about Ask Fedora, and I've been using Fedora since FC1.
    OS: Fedora 34 x86_64 | Machine: Lenovo ThinkCentre M91P | CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 3.30GHz | RAM: 28GB PC3-12800 DDR3 | Disk: 500GB SATA | Video: Intel HD Graphics 2000 128MB | Sound: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz CS4630 | Ethernet: Intel 82579LM

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only found out about it because Dan? (or someone, but I think Dan) mentioned that Rahul spends a lot of his time there now. When one googles for Fedora information, my (highly subjective) impression is that most of the time it winds up here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. You'd think the big white link on the top of this (and every other) forum page would be a little hard to miss. <....>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I have known about it for only the last few months, and I have been using Fedora since Core 4.
    Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T410, CPU: Intel Core i5 520M, Ram: 8GB DDR3, Hard Drive: 320GB, Graphics: Intel HD, OS: Windows 7 / Arch Linux x86_64
    Desktop: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4, CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 1200, RAM: 8GB DDR4, Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, Graphics: Asus Radeon RX 550 4GB, OS: Arch Linux x86_64

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only learned about it because somebody posted a message to a Fedora self-help mailing list I'm on asking people to check it out and consider using it.
    Registered Linux user #470359 and permanently recovered BOFH.

Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    Wow. You'd think the big white link on the top of this (and every other) forum page would be a little hard to miss. <....>
    I never pay any attention to those links, except for "Log Out".
    OS: Fedora 34 x86_64 | Machine: Lenovo ThinkCentre M91P | CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 3.30GHz | RAM: 28GB PC3-12800 DDR3 | Disk: 500GB SATA | Video: Intel HD Graphics 2000 128MB | Sound: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz CS4630 | Ethernet: Intel 82579LM

Demz3 Guest

i have an account over on ask.fedora but i dont think its used as much as this unofficial forum is. askfedora was a good idea but i think people prefer a " Real Forum " than a fake one. plus at the end of the day im 99% sure even the Fedora devs still look at this forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RupertPupkin
    I never pay any attention to those links, except for "Log Out".

Seriously, after we put 'em up there and proof read them for bone head spelling, even I don't see them when I'm looking directly at them. <....>

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast