[SOLVED] Problems mounting CIFS network share
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Problems mounting CIFS network share

Hi,

I have a problem mounting Apple's Time Capsule over CIFS after updating to the latest kernel 3.8.1-201.fc18 in Fedora 18.

I mount it in fstab using:

Code:
    //10.0.1.1/Time\040Capsule /mnt/capsule cifs password=mypassword,_netdev,uid=myusername,gid=myusergroup 0 0
    but I get the same error message if I mount it manually using mount.cifs. In both cases, the following output appears in dmesg:

Code:
    Mar  5 06:34:37 localhost kernel: [   42.761872] FS-Cache: Netfs 'cifs' registered for caching
    Mar  5 06:34:37 localhost kernel: [   42.761949] Key type cifs.spnego registered
    Mar  5 06:34:37 localhost kernel: [   42.761954] Key type cifs.idmap registered
    Mar  5 06:34:37 localhost mount[1134]: mount error(22): Invalid argument
    Mar  5 06:34:37 localhost kernel: [   42.788500] Status code returned 0xc0000002 NT_STATUS_NOT_IMPLEMENTED
    Mar  5 06:34:37 localhost kernel: [   42.788517] CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -22
    Mar  5 06:34:37 localhost kernel: [   42.788735] CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -22
    Does anyone know where the problem is and how to resolve it?

Thanks,

Vladimir

Re: Problems mounting CIFS network share

Similar issues for me as well after the 3.8 updates. I've been mounting two network drives for years with cifs from fstab and never had an issue. One is a old Simpleshare network attached drive that is running an old linux kernel. The other is a home built raid running FreeNAS which is a FreeBSD kernel. I've dropped back to the last 3.7.9 kernel from Fedora 18 and both mount fine. However, with the updates to 3.8.1 and todays 3.8.2-206 I run into similar issues. The interesting part on my end is the FreeNAS drive mounts, but the simpleshare won't.

My error message is different from yours, but regardless of how I mount, (fstab or from the commandline) the results are the same. Here's my log output.:

Mar 11 17:19:42 lnx_desk kernel: [ 247.763452] CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -5
    Mar 11 17:19:42 lnx_desk kernel: [ 247.763683] CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -5

I can view the drive with Konqueror using : smb://ipaddress/network_folder so it seems to be something odd with the cifs stuff and the new kernel.

I've done a little searching on the error code, but can't locate anything useful.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards,

L

Ok, not so experiences with cifs on fstab, but heres my mount script line that works properly:

Pre-requisite: i had changed ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs to have set my own $XDG_PUBLICSHARE_DIR, and source that file before mounting...
    Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs //10.0.0.1/Public $XDG_PUBLICSHARE_DIR -o user=someone,password=something
    Now for the fstab, i would have a try with:
    Code:
    //10.0.1.1/Time\040Capsule /mnt/capsule cifs user=me,password=mypassword,soft,rw
    If "cifs" doesnt work, have a try with: "nfs" or "autofs" instead.

hth
    EFI Cheatsheet :: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=298546
    Video Handler Script (VHS) (mass re-encode videos, screenrecorder, console music/webradio player, ...) :: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=299182
    Windows 8+ & Fedora 20+ Dualboot :: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=298161

Bug 905929 nobody is interested in fixing it apparently..

NTLM has been found to be insecure so upstream doesn't want to allow NTLM connections by default any more. There may be something you can do at the server end to use NTLMv2 instead; that would probably be safer than forcing the use of NTLM

To work around this add sec=ntlm to your mount options
    here is my working fstab
    Code:
    //raspbmc/data /home/michael/data cifs username=guest,password=null,noperm,sec=ntlm 0 0
    Last edited by Beardedfreak; 12th March 2013 at 04:50 PM. Reason: added fstab setting

Quote Originally Posted by Beardedfreak
    Bug 905929 nobody is interested in fixing it apparently..

NTLM has been found to be insecure so upstream doesn't want to allow NTLM connections by default any more. There may be something you can do at the server end to use NTLMv2 instead; that would probably be safer than forcing the use of NTLM

To work around this add sec=ntlm to your mount options
    here is my working fstab
    Code:
    //raspbmc/data /home/michael/data cifs username=guest,password=null,noperm,sec=ntlm 0 0
    Thanks a lot! Adding sec=ntlm to the mount options helped.

V.
    Last edited by vladimirch; 12th March 2013 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Removed code tags