F18 How to resolve yum file conflict.
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation F18 How to resolve yum file conflict.

This is really holding me up. I need to install zend-server-ce, however i'm having an issue that I cannot seem to get around.

To narrow it down a little. Here's the specific issue.

Code:
    Downloading Packages:
    Running Transaction Check
    Running Transaction Test

Transaction Check Error:
      file /usr/lib64 from install of liboci8-zend-11.2.0.2-1.x86_64 conflicts with file from package filesystem-3.1-2.fc18.x86_64

Error Summary
    -------------
    The "Error Summary" contains nothing. Is there a way I can resolve this and get zend-ce installed? Where can I go from here? I've never dealt with a conflict like this.

Thank you in advance for your time.

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

Re: F18 How to resolve yum file conflict.

No, here's the specific issue:

This rpm package was prepared by someone without adequate technical understanding of creating rpm packages. It is certainly not an official Fedora rpm package.

The problem: This package is trying to "take ownership" of /usr/lib64, and thus everything installed into and under it. Well, /usr/lib64 is already owned by the Fedora package "filesystem", an essential and crucial OS package.

Some posts suggest that the error is a bug in the package. Others suggest this fix:

Add the --replacefiles option to rpm, e.g:

sudo rpm -i --replacefiles downloaded_file_name.rpm

EDIT: Use at your own risk. It worked for another user, but YMMV.
    Last edited by ThomasMcA; 8th February 2013 at 09:16 PM.

you really don't want to be specifying the --replacefiles option, especially when the conflict is a part of the system filesystem. You could totally hose your entire install that way.

It needs to be fixed in the package, not forcing a workaround and risking your system. Packages like that have no business trying to claim ownership (or change permissions) of system directories.

Edit:
    One way around it would be to rebuild the package yourself. Grab the source rpm and rebuild it.