Unable to bootup from LiveUSB drive to rescue HD.
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Unable to bootup from LiveUSB drive to rescue HD.

I have a SATA WD. HardDrive that has a boot sector problem so I created a LiveUSB thumb Drive so I could try and run ddrescue or some similar utility to rescue the drive. The thumb drive boots fine when I disconnect the HD but with the HD plugged in the boot up stalls as though it is trying to read the HD but isn't able to. If I replace the damaged HD with one that has Fedora 17 install on it the thumb drive boots up without problems. I am using the desktop version in the LiveUSB drive. Should I try it with the KDE version or is there some trick to booting the LiveUSB drive such that it won't try to read the damaged HD?

Re: Unable to bootup from LiveUSB drive to rescue HD.

did you check the BIOS settings? You can set the device boot priority there.

Yes the BIOS boots first off of the removable media, second the CD-ROM and finally off of the HD. Like I mentioned before, the problem occurs when I have the damaged HD in the mix. You can actually hear the system trying to read the drive where as when you have the thumb drive and the good HD without the damaged HD plugged in you get a clean boot up. That is why I was wondering if there was a way to boot without the system trying to read from the other devices in the system. The system would have to recognize that the device is there but not try to read the boot block on the HD. Seems an odd thing to have to do since the whole purpose of this exercise is to be able to repair the boot block on the damaged HD. It feels like a "Catch 22" situation to me but I have never had to recover a HD before so I am open to any suggestions. Thanks.

Sounds as if the disk drive is really bad and no rescue will be possible. The controller cannot handle the drive anymore.

Maybe you can create a bootable USB and try this one. But don't be disappointed if you still cannot access the hard drive.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.' - Dilbert

I thought the LiveUSB was the same as a bootable USB??? Am I wrong? If so how do I make a bootable USB? I used the Fedora LiveUSB program to create the LiveUSB stick so is there a different program for making a bootable USB?

Quote Originally Posted by glmarsh
    [...]so is there a different program for making a bootable USB?
    yes, there is livecd-iso-to-disk, the dd method or as alternative Unetbootin.

livecd-iso-to-disk is more reliable than Unetbootin.

If you already have a new Fedora release installed, you can install livecd-tools via yum. On distros where livecd-tools is not available, you can download the tool like this:
    Code:
    git clone git://fedorahosted.org/livecd
    When livecd-tools is installed, you can call it like this:
    Code:
    su -c 'livecd-iso-to-disk --format --reset-mbr ./CentOS-6.3*.iso /dev/sdb1'
    that's just an example, just change the iso image and device of the USB thumb drive accordingly.
    (recent thread about this: UNetbootin to create F17 LiveUSB without a CD)
    Last edited by Fenrin; 30th December 2012 at 06:54 PM.

I am attaching an image of the program I used to create the USB thumbDrive. It was the "Fedora LiveUSB Creator" program. BTW I installed the installed the "livecd-tools" program via yum but I don't see it listed in my program list and when I tried to access it on the command line the system doesn't recognize it. How do you run livecd-tools from the command line?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2012-12-30 14:39:04.png 
Views:	132 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	24296  

Quote Originally Posted by glmarsh
    [...]How do you run livecd-tools from the command line?
    Open a terminal and enter a command like this:
    Code:
    su
    livecd-iso-to-disk --format --reset-mbr ./CentOS-6.3*.iso /dev/sdb1
    You should change the device name (sdb1) and the path to the ISO accordingly. If it's mounted you have to unmount it first. Example
    Code:
    umount /dev/sdb1
    Last edited by Fenrin; 31st December 2012 at 02:06 AM. Reason: color