FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

How to handle kernel/grub2 updates in relation to comfortable installed Catalyst

Fedora 17 is telling me there is a new kernel and grub2 upgrade/update available.

As I am using the ATI Catalyst driver, what is the best working practise to installing these without being faced with a black screen on reboot? Do I simply uninstall the driver (uninstall, no additional "purge" actions) and then reinstall once I'm running the new kernel?

Re: How to handle kernel/grub2 updates in relation to comfortable installed Catalyst

Bumping the topic. I stumbled upon the same problem recently http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=289393 and it would be great to learn how to actually prevent it instead of nagging people on the forums every time an upgrade brakes something.

Re: How to handle kernel/grub2 updates in relation to comfortable installed Catalyst

Ok just in case anyone still wants to know the answer: I use the F18 instructions from the AMD Unofficial wiki (on F19 at the moment) and then when there is a new update, I install the update and rerun the kernel script and aticonfig --initial -f. Then reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Hoare
    Ok just in case anyone still wants to know the answer: I use the F18 instructions from the AMD Unofficial wiki (on F19 at the moment) and then when there is a new update, I install the update and rerun the kernel script and aticonfig --initial -f. Then reboot.
    Thanks for posting! (don't you hate those 'Never mind, I solved it. <gone>' $#s)

Have you used the instructions linked here? http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Fedora#Installation

Yes. That's exactly what I used. Just use the last 2 steps each time. It says Fedora 18 but works just as well under 19.

TY very much!