FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

FC14 - How to force atapter to eth0 and not something funky like eth3

After cloning one harddrive to another system, the adapter is no longer eth0, sadly it is stuck on eth3.

Nothing seems to compel or force the adapter to be it's proper designation of eth0. I have gone through the rounds of deleting the adapter and creating a fresh one in the GUI. I have invested an hour in pouring over google and this forum.

I did this:

mv /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth3 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

No dice, it only created another phantom adapter in the "Network Configuration" window.

When I used the "Network Configuration" window to delete the phantom adapter, so that only the proper of eth0 remained, it slapped me with the big wet fish by not coming on to the network after reboot.

Now someone on-site must run to the server closet and delete the adapter, then reestablish it, but it will still be the unwanted "eth0"

How to force the adapter to become its necesary eth0 ?

Thanks
    Last edited by cuban_cigar; 26th November 2012 at 10:20 PM.

Re: FC14 - How to force atapter to eth0 and not something funky like eth3

F14 is EOL. Moved to EOL.

Re: FC14 - How to force atapter to eth0 and not something funky like eth3

I'm not sure of which version of Fedora has which changes, but generally, you can set this in the older versions, including F14 by making sure the hardware address matches in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net-rules (or something similar, that's based on a CentOS machine and careless typing, but it should be close enough, and look for something like
    Code:
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"
    ~
    You want the XX:XX stuff to match whatever you have in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0