FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: PostInstallerF

Dear friends, you need to see the live update process of PostInstallerF? If this is correct, in a few hours I will be making changes, showing a terminal, the direction of these updates. What think?

I'm thinking transparency here is the better choice. And perhaps the opportunity to view, approve and read a detailed description of any and all updates performed. <....>

We are, after all, asking people to completely trust the process. <....>

Y, en ingles, por favor. My Spanish is non-existent.

Why is xterm installed as dependency? I don't want it as I use gnome-terminal... is it necessary for the script someway?
    MY SYSTEM ↂ Main OS: Fedora 18 x86_64 ↂ CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 (3.3GHz, Cache: 9MB, Socket: AM3) ↂ MoBo: MSI 890FXA-GD65 ↂ RAM: 8GB (4x2GB Kingston HyperX, DDR3, 1333MHz) ↂ Graphics: Club3D Radeon 4850 (GPU: ATI rv770, BUS: 256-bit, RAM: 512MB GDDR3) ↂ PS: Cooler Master GX-650 (650W, 80+ Bronze) ↂ Main HD: 320GB (Maxtor, SATA) ↂ Sec. HD: 80GB (Western Digital, SATA)

Dan

I will make the changes in 'PostInstallerF', showing live updates via terminal, in the next hours. The progress bars will be migrated to the English in due time, this project began as a program for Hispanic people. There are thousands of people who use it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    T3STY

Speaking about PostInstallerF; Xterm will not affect anything, nor replace anything, just you will see the live update process via xterm. You are confused. Do not worry.

and ready! the update is complete, as you can see the path of live updates are to the mirror Google Code http://code.google.com/p/postinstallerfedora/
    Last edited by debo2011; 12th February 2013 at 01:16 AM.

I know it won't affect anything, I just don't like redundance in my apps...
    MY SYSTEM ↂ Main OS: Fedora 18 x86_64 ↂ CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 (3.3GHz, Cache: 9MB, Socket: AM3) ↂ MoBo: MSI 890FXA-GD65 ↂ RAM: 8GB (4x2GB Kingston HyperX, DDR3, 1333MHz) ↂ Graphics: Club3D Radeon 4850 (GPU: ATI rv770, BUS: 256-bit, RAM: 512MB GDDR3) ↂ PS: Cooler Master GX-650 (650W, 80+ Bronze) ↂ Main HD: 320GB (Maxtor, SATA) ↂ Sec. HD: 80GB (Western Digital, SATA)

Well, I too am wondering why it install Xterm. All you have to do is execute a shell script and tell it to run in a terminal window, then it will use whatever the default terminal application is without needing to install anything.

Quote Originally Posted by T3STY
    I know it won't affect anything, I just don't like redundance in my apps...
    is part of the transparency, if the user is happy watching the live upgrade process, no problem. Also, everyone has access to the source code. I hate to see a terminal within any program, we must not scare the user with this. In the future this updater live, show the route with a modern progress bar.

---------- Post added at 03:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DBelton
    Well, I too am wondering why it install Xterm. All you have to do is execute a shell script and tell it to run in a terminal window, then it will use whatever the default terminal application is without needing to install anything.
    There are processes that work best under xterm, for example when installing virtualbox proprietary, this dependency I can not remove, sorry. Xterm is not only used by the updater live, I have better results with xterm.

man xterm

bob is online now Administrator (yeah, back again)
    Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).

I liked the changes I saw with this version. Minor glitch I should report: I installed fotoxx and when I started it, the package complained that it needed dcraw. Once that was installed, it ran properly.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Quote Originally Posted by bob
    I liked the changes I saw with this version. Minor glitch I should report: I installed fotoxx and when I started it, the package complained that it needed dcraw. Once that was installed, it ran properly.
    Thanks Bob. really? Fotoxx, mmm very strange, it must report to the packer Fotoxx, PostInstallerF install 'Fotoxx' in the following manner.

Code:
    yum -y install fotoxx
    but i will include as dependency, thanks
    Last edited by debo2011; 12th February 2013 at 04:23 AM.

Not only is everything in Spanish, it doesn't tell you what it's doing or ask what you want. If it turns out that it does things I dislike, is there any way to recover from it without reinstalling from scratch?
    Registered Linux user #470359 and permanently recovered BOFH.

Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Huh? It's sure not in Spanish on my version.

Well, I installed and ran it just before posting here. Yes, some of the stuff, such as asking if I want to reboot, is in English, but the titles of all the windows that tell you what's going on were in Spanish.

Hmmm...well here's what I'm looking at in both the initial window and the package selection (install or remove) window. I've done both, btw, with no issues.

Weird! When I ran it, it just seemed to install everything without asking, or telling me what was happening. And, AFAICT, none of that's shown up on my menus. Probably it's because I use Xfce, not Gnome.

Coming up (this week) new release!, some changes, more programs, some surprises!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast